Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #1

Grey tank switch over

I have owned a 2005 Jayco 29' Eagle since it came on the market and never had any problem with holding tanks before. However on our last camp out after 3 days we noticed the 1st grey holding tank was almost full and fully expected it to switch over to the 2nd grey holding tank. That night the shower held water. It appears that no water is going into the 2nd grey water tank. Does anyone know if there may be a flapper valve or other device that controls flow into the 2nd tank after the 1st tank is full?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my last fiver had three "used water tanks" and none of them switched over to the other when one was full
the galley had its own and the shower and bath sink shared a tank, which left the poty on its own tank.

would be interesting to have a way to switch into a less used tank

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #3

Up until this last camp out the 1st grey tank when full always switched over to the 2nd grey tank with no problem. This is the first trip we have had the camper out in a year. It stays in storage for the winter months. Just thought there might be something stuck.... ?
Old 04-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #4

"Switched over" is probably not what was happening, unless you actually pushed/pulled a lever to change flow--I am not familiar with your Jayco setup, but water will always seek its own level, and flow to low points. I assume that it is plumbed so when the first grey tank nears full, flow will go to the 2nd tank--it is that connection that is probably blocked. Is your undercarriage covered, or can you see the tanks? You are probably in for some undercarriage work to see how the pipes are arranged. Can you fill the 2nd grey tank from some source first and see if the flow will go backwards? Doesn't sound like fun, but at least its the grey water.......
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I too have a 5th wheel with 3 tanks but as stated by others there is no overflow to another tank. They are all separated, the galley tank(small), shower/bathroom sink and the dreaded Black Tank(toliet). Good luck, or maybe you have finally run out of it and really filled your tank for the first time. Besides you should empty it when it reaches 3/4 or so anyway.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:59 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never seen a waste water "Switch over" system marketed, advertised or existing (though I could likely build one easily enough)

Usually if you have two gray tanks it is because the shower is too far from the kitchen for them to share a tank. Same as my coach

Now.. there is a solution if you have to

Using a macerator pump you can pump one out into the other

I don't recommend it... And you might wish to add some plumbing so that you can fill the tank from outside.. But that's how you'd do it.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
CD

Dcavan
I don't know what you have but on our Nash there is a valve at each grey tank. and a valve at the drain. If I leave the grey tank valves both open, the water will go to both tanks. If I close one or both tank valves then the water only goes to the tank that it is plumbed to.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #8

Ok guys.... I understand there is no switch over system and I should have been savy to that, although for the last 5 years, once one grey tank got full (and the other read empty) then the other tank started filling up. It was only two of us on the camping adventure and never have we had the shower hold water (or as you guys say the grey tank from the shower and bathroom sink got full.) There was water run somewhat in the kitchen but maybe not enough to show the other grey tank had anything in it. But who knows... maybe Super Gewl is right and we just happened to fill the bath tank for the first time!
And hey Cliff...I'm off to check the valves on the tanks just in case I missed them all being open.
Thanks to all of you.....
Old 04-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #9

I seems to 'member somewhere I heard that some Jaycos were plumbed as you mention--when one grey filled up, it then started to fill the 2nd--only way I can see this happening is somewhere in the system there is a connection between tanks that comes into play when the first tank fills--thats why I mentioned maybe you should fill the other one first deliberately to see if it will flow into the main one and dislodge a blockage.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote