Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 07:51 PM   #1

Grey water tank removal

I have a 2014 Montana 5th wheel, and recently noticed the membrane under the trailer bulging as if full of water. Pulled off a few screws, and yes, it is full of water. Turns out that when kitchen sink tank fills up, it pours out of top of tank (I am assuming) and starts to fill the void below. Apparently something has come loose or broken between the kitchen sink and top of tank, and the only access seems to be removal of tank. I didn't want to drop it until I got some good advice in that regard. If I cut the 1 1/2" pipe in the island, can I drop the tank straight down without incident, or are there other factors? Any help would be appreciated.
Davedux is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Are you sure the grey tank is leaking? The underbelly in a large number of 5th wheels gets filled with rain water spray from the tires when travelling in rain. happened a few times with me and my previous 5ver.

I would lower the underbelly material and fill the grey tank completely full with water and looks for leaks. Completely full would be when the water backs up into the shower drain pan.

My thoughts - before I dropped the grey tank.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:48 PM   #3

Need to drain your galley tank before it is 'overfull'

Drain line from kitchen sink goes into top of tank and is held/sealed using a grommet (vs being glued to tank)
When you overfill it water comes out thru grommet.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:59 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Couple of things - first off, rain water can and will get trapped in there very easily. I had that problem with the front part of our underbelly from small gaps caused by the cheap alum. strips Keystone used to seal the coroplast. Replaced them with U channel alum. from a big box hardware store and no more problem. Some have reported on the Montana Owner's Club forum about rain water getting in the underbelly near the axles or slides and how they fixed that. If you've really got a galley tank issue, I'd suggest going there as several have posted how they fixed theirs. Montana Owner's Club Discussion Forum - Powered by ForumCo.com - The Forum Company
Old 02-06-2016, 08:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Are you sure the grey tank is leaking? The underbelly in a large number of 5th wheels gets filled with rain water spray from the tires when travelling in rain. happened a few times with me and my previous 5ver.

I would lower the underbelly material and fill the grey tank completely full with water and looks for leaks. Completely full would be when the water backs up into the shower drain pan.

My thoughts - before I dropped the grey tank.

Brian
Thanks, Brian. I filled the tank and it started pouring out the top of the tank. By the way, this not the tank for the shower, but the one for kitchen sink.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Need to drain your galley tank before it is 'overfull'

Drain line from kitchen sink goes into top of tank and is held/sealed using a grommet (vs being glued to tank)
When you overfill it water comes out thru grommet.
That's interesting. It has only leaked twice in 2 years. Possibly the grommet has been displaced, or the pipe come out of the grommet. Do you think I can drop the tank without cutting any plumbing pipe under the sink? I guess if it's loose enough to leak everywhere, it will pull out of tank when I drop the tank.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:20 AM   #7

Well, I dropped the tank, cut the input line in the island below the sink and above the tank. After dropping tank 6 inches, realized there is a vent pipe also which goes all the way to the roof. Cut it also, 2 inches above tank. Removed tank, filled it with water, and no leaks. Left it for 2 days, no leaks. Reinstalled tank and filled it, and it started to pour water everywhere. Turns out that obviously there is a seam on top of tank that splits when it gets enough pressure on the tank, and when tank is full up to the sink, that is all it takes to start leaking. Will not remove tank again. We will just empty grey tank a little more often.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #8

If you have to drop the tank again, google a product called Plasti-Mend. It is the only ABS sealer that I have found that really works. i used it on my galley tank after trying many others. 2 years and counting.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #9

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tags
removal, tank, water