Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Guess I have to say goodbye

This is a really sad moment for us. We have had three 5ers since we started RV'ing in 2001, and never thought we would want anything else. Lately we have playing with the idea of going to a Class A, thinking that it would be easier to set up, etc., especially as we get older. A few days ago I found a really great deal on a 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT and took the plunge! It's gonna take a lot of getting used to, but we really like it so far.

I'm gonna miss you guys here on the 5er forum. You've taught me a lot and I appreciate your patience with me. Guess I'll be spending most of my time over in the MH area, along with the general areas.

Good luck, have fun, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
With having owned three 5'ers I'm sure you have a wealth of information to share with new members who have questions. Don't look at it as saying goodby but expanding your horizons.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the Class A side where your windshield is truely a window on the world. Corny, but you must admit the view is much better that from a pick-up.
And to have a private restroom 20 feet away - at times, it is priceless.
Welcome again.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to the world of Class A. And I agree with RJay, you have way to much knowledge to share to walk away from the 5th wheel group.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
Joe, Annette; I think we are all sad to lose a fellow 5'er driver to the dark side , erm... motorcoach crowd... but wish you all the best in the new rig.

I'm sure we can work out some kind of visitor pass for ya to sneak in here with.
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome, it will be like a duck to water. We are on our 4th A and have never looked back. That toilet thing along with hot tea and toast or a sandwich is the best. We drive twice the distance with DW having the run of the coach & that toilet.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
This is a really sad moment for us. We have had three 5ers since we started RV'ing in 2001, and never thought we would want anything else. Lately we have playing with the idea of going to a Class A, thinking that it would be easier to set up, etc., especially as we get older. A few days ago I found a really great deal on a 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT and took the plunge! It's gonna take a lot of getting used to, but we really like it so far.

I'm gonna miss you guys here on the 5er forum. You've taught me a lot and I appreciate your patience with me. Guess I'll be spending most of my time over in the MH area, along with the general areas.

Good luck, have fun, and God bless!
Congratulations on your new purchase. We have been looking at shows this year to decide if we want to go to a larger A or to a 5. There are certainly advantages to both. Good luck with your transition.

On a side note, I spent a bit over a year in Columbus, or just north of Columbus, twenty some years ago. I imagine it has changed quite a bit.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
I already have a safety latch for my 5er -thanks to you -and think it is really great but I just cannot afford to buy a coach just to purchase new gadgets that you find.
All kidding aside, I wish you the best of luck with your upgrade to a coach and maybe someday I'll be able to join you in the class A section.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Joe,
Sorry to see you go, but am glad that you found something that you like. all the best and please still visit often, your wisdom is appreciated. Hope to meet you one of these days if I can ever get everything aranged buisness wise so I can retire.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the other side of life styles. Much of the information that you have gained over the years will be convertible to the Class A side of the isle. Many of the operations and appliances will be the same. You will have a small learning curve.

I personally agree with you on the ease of setup. When we had the 5er, it was pull in, check level, put the boards down back up, put the boards under, pull forward, check for level, and now maybe unhitch. Then level front to back. You have maybe spent 15 minutes and you don't have any hookups yet.

Now you will pull into a site, hit a button to level. Push a couple more buttons to run the slides out. If you want, you can then hook up, or, just run off the internal system until you want to hook up the outside connections. In just a few minutes you are sitting back enjoying your favorite drink, and watching television.

Welcome aboard.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the kind words guys! I'm gonna have to peek in over here once in a while to see what's happening! We're gonna keep the 5er for a while to be sure that the Class A is the way we want to go. I got a good deal on it, so if we're not happy I think I can sell it without much trouble. Ya'll behave over here! God bless!
Old 02-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to the Class A side. The availability for fresh coffee and the toilet sold me in the first few miles.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Just out of curiosity, what was the decision maker deciding on a Class A? I ask because my wife and I are struggling with the same thoughts. We are fulltime in a 5er, albeit not traveling a lot yet. We would like to get another 5er before we start meandering around the country. We are on the fence about another 5er or a MH.

Some I am curious what made up your mind.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
Just out of curiosity, what was the decision maker deciding on a Class A? I ask because my wife and I are struggling with the same thoughts. We are fulltime in a 5er, albeit not traveling a lot yet. We would like to get another 5er before we start meandering around the country. We are on the fence about another 5er or a MH.

Some I am curious what made up your mind.
John, it was really a tough decision. We love everything about the Cedar Creek 36RLTS such as large rear windows with swivel rocker-recliners for a wonderful view out back, entertainment center angled for perfect viewing from the recliners, fireplace under the TV, Trail-Air hitch, stabilizers on the landing gears to reduce rocking, Roto-Choks, Progressive HW50C electrical management system with remote indicator inside, digital thermostat, doors between bedroom and bath, toilet in separate room from shower, Select Comfort queen Number Bed, and the list goes on and on. I had already bought a new Dometic Penguin 13.5K air conditioner for the bedroom that hasn't been installed yet.

We have been thinking about a Class A for some time but really never thought we would change. We want to do more traveling around the country and thought about the advantages of a Class A such as stopping along the way in Wal-Mart parking lots for one-night stays with the inverter and generator giving us full operation, the ease of stopping and unhooking the toad for a quick trip up a side road that looks interesting, quick and easy campground setup with one-touch automatic air leveling, etc. I had been looking through the on-line ads for Class A's for some time, just to get an idea of what it would cost. I knew that we would need a 40' Class A to have about the same amount of living area as the 36' 5er, so that's what I was primarily looking for. A friend of mine has a 2002 Monaco Windsor that he wanted to sell but he wanted way too much for it. I found this one in Montgomery, AL, that the guy had to sell because of changing family responsibilities, and he ended up making me a price that I didn't feel I could turn down if we ever wanted to get a Class A. Anyway, that's why we made the change. We still have the 5er and plan to keep it a few months until we are sure we have made the right decision. Good luck to you!