Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2015, 03:25 PM   #1

Handicapped access

If one becomes unable to walk some while after purchasing a 5er, how does that person access the bathroom that is usually on the upper floor?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #2

Sounds like a tough situation...sorry that you are having to think this way. My older brother sold me his travel trailer and bought a cabin in the woods when his MS made it impossible for him to set up and tear down camp. I have seen RVs with wheel chair lifts and other accessibility features - that may be what you're looking at.

With my Mom (pulmonary hypertension, right ventricular heart failure, interstitial lung disease, and congestive heart failure), we base all decisions about what she is doing and how she is doing it on conserving energy and oxygen...so, she can walk in the house with a walker but uses a wheel chair when she leaves the house. She would be ok (ok, as ok as she can be) once in the camper but would need something with no inside steps - especially with her Lasix dosage!

So, given my two family members with very different issues walking, I would say "it depends on what the issue with walking is."

I hope you are able to find something that works for you/your loved one and that the joy of camping can still be had!

rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:43 PM   #3

One buys a motor home instead. Either way investigate a lift.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the concern, rjf7a, there are no problems currently, but the better half likes to plan for most contingencies. We currently have a Class A, but are considering a 5er for the additional living space when we sell the house, which we hope is soon!
Old 12-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #5

My grandparents are in their late 80's and want to visit us and do an RV road trip. I am concerned about their mobility going into the trailer and using the restroom while in it. I was thinking about building a ramp system for them.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcmahon View Post
Thanks for the concern, rjf7a, there are no problems currently, but the better half likes to plan for most contingencies. We currently have a Class A, but are considering a 5er for the additional living space when we sell the house, which we hope is soon!
Glad everyone is well right now. Check this out - Wheelchair accessible motorhomes
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:43 PM   #7

Not sure where your located. There are many shops capable of modernizing, and make the RV more ADA accessible. You will find most only advertise their modernizing/upgrade services. There are so many things to consider other than just bedroom entry. Who will hook up the 5er, and will the truck be accessible? A 5er often has more step into the entry and a higher entrance. I've seen chair lifts into Class A's and trailers. A similar second lift could probably be used into the bedroom perhaps with modification of the bathroom.
Basically, Anything is possible if you want it enough. However, with disability often comes medical necessity making RVing even more difficult.
Unless the unexpected is really anticipated in the foreseeable future, enjoy life, and live every day to its fullest. Two years ago I was certain I was about to lose my wife, thankfully her condition has improved and we are enjoying every day together again, and we still travel.
You just never know.
So Happy Trails.

Tags
handicap, handicapped