Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2011, 03:10 AM   #1

Hard wiring generator power cord

I have a 06' Cardinal 29RKLE 5th, and I plan on using my Yamaha 3000 generator.
I can mount the generator either in the truck bed or the front compartment of the trailer. If I use the compartment I would route the exhaust gas with a metal flex tube through the bottom and out the side of the trailer with a pipe. In the compartment I would mount (3) 12V fans to keep the air moving. And only run it with the door open, but either way I need to hard wire a 30amp 120V cable from the trailer to the Genset. My power cord mounts in the rear of the trailer, too far away.

I would be using this on overnight stops in Wal-Mart parking lots, or on metal detector trips where I wouldn't have power to plug into.

I have open acces to the Charger and the rear of the Power panel.

Anyone have any thoughts???
retiredcgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2011, 06:53 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Of course the best and safest method is to install an auto transfer switch but it would be a little costly.

The way I've done it in the past is to run a cord (3 or 4 wire lead) from the genset to the power panel and into a double pole switch which will power both sides the panel. When you are on the genset turn switch on and when not it should be off. If you forget to turn it off shore power will feed back into the generator or conversely into the power grid of the park possibly causing electrical injury to someone at another pedestal in the park.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #3

The other idea is to just have a platform built onto the rear bumper and mount the generator 6' from the power plug. I would have a fab shop do the job, and make a box to cover it and keep it out of others eye sight. It might just prove to be the best idea.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #4

Putting a transfer relay in isn't a big deal and not that expensive, if you're confortable working electrical power wiring. Even if you put the parts in yourself and then have an electrician do the actual hook up it shouldn't be a major expense. It's an absolute must-have for the safety of electricity linemen, as you can back-power the line with your generator without it.

Just after we got our rig last summer, I moved it about 4' without bothering to disconnect the ground power. Dumb! The duallies ran over the cord and ripped it out of the transfer box, shorted out the relay and then tore it apart.

A new box was about $80. I disconnected everything on the old box and marked all the wires, then reconnectd to the new one exactly the same. My rig is 30A with dual a/c, so one of the generator outputs is hard-wired to the bedroom a/c.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #5

I know this is an old post, but maybe I’m not too late for my suggestion to help you (or someone else) out.

I would do this the simple way. Get a heavy duty RV extension cord, at least 10 AWG, and route it from the generator compartment to the compartment where the RV electrical cord is located. Plug the male end into the generator and leave it that way. When you want to use the generator, start it up and at the RV electrical cord compartment plug the RV electrical cord into the generator extension cord.

To use shore power, unplug from the generator extension cord and connect to shore power as normal.

This is cheap, simple, and safe, as long as you don’t overload the extension cords. The biggest difficulty will be in routing the extension cord between the two compartments.

Good luck,

– Loren
Old 05-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
When they mount a generator into an RV cabinet, that cabinet is lined with metal for fire safety. Not that it would NOT burn thru, but the metal slows it down a bit. The cabinet door usually has venting and the cabinet bottom is open to some degree for airflow purposes.

If you want toe safely mount the genny in a cabinet, you have a bit of work to do.

I am planning on removing my generator and relocating it to the bed of my truck and adding a power plug (via the transfer switch) to the front of my rig. That way when we get our new rig, I don't have to order another genny again.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #7

Gen power cord

Well I have solved the problem, I'm having a special box made to attach to the rear bumper of the trailer. The shop making it has done this before and will make it very hard to steal, but easy to remove when I want it off. And best of all it will be 4' from the plug, after I get it installed I'll post pictures here.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For George

Sure would like to see those pictures of your rear bumper setup. Thanks.
Steve
spat is offline   Reply With Quote