Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #15

Nice looking truck great job on the changes to it.

Now, I will try to answer your question on what style of pin boxes to purchase. I am on another forum called Turbo Diesel Register. Com several members pull the large 5ers with the C&C trucks such as 4500 and 5500 Rams. I asked these members when I was looking into a new pin box for my 5er, that I pull with a 3/4 ton truck, trying to eliminate the jerking and chucking of the 5er in relation to the truck. Two of the members on that site recommend the Demco Glided which is similar to the Mor-Ryde pin box but in their opinion was superior to it.
If you are going with an air ride assist on the truck than I would go with either the Demco glide or the Mor-Ryde pin boxes. I do not think having two air ride suspension system would work will in-tandem together. Where as the glide style pin boxes would eliminate the for-aft motion and the air ride system would tend to the up down motion of the truck trailer combination.

Here is thier web site. Glide Ride

Jim W.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #16

Thanks for all the replies. I have looked at the mor-ryde pin box and while on their web site I saw the same type of suspension components that will take the up and down jerk out of the truck. I called a spring shop and they are looking into making softer springs or possibly taking one leaf out. They said air ride would probably ride worse than the springs. I also contacted mor-ryde and they are figuring out what I would need for the truck.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
buggy5872,
Please don't believe these people that tell you air ride will ride worse than springs, not going to happen. The ride is a little harsher empty, but as soon as you put 500 to 1000# on the back, it smooths right out, and the 2500 to 3000# of the hitch weight will smooth everything right out. I run full air ride on the rear of my dually and have air leaf on my 10 wheeler. Now you have to have a good set of shocks to get the full benefit of the air springs. Much better ride empty after installing a set of biltein HD shocks on the pickup, didn't notice much loaded. My 5er has a pin weight north of 3000#.If you want more info, please pm me, I will be happy to discuss with you. It would be a shame to not put air ride on such a nice vehicle that you put so much sweat and work into.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #18

I finally found a company that could make me an air ride suspension for my chassis. Autoflex is the air ride system. They said they could make it custom for my chassis at no extra cost. They also told me that they could set it up like a 1 ton since I will not be hauling anything as heavy as the weight the truck suspension was designed to carry. They told me if it was built for the original gvw of the truck it would still ride stiff. Kind of like if I would use a fl70 air ride. It will be plenty strong to haul anything I am going to put behind it and was told it will ride better than a stock 1 ton. I am going to get the mor/ryde pin box and possibly some of their suspension products for the trailer.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
buggy5872,
good deal, glad that you went that way, you will love riding on air.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #20

Installed the Mor/ryde pin box last week and tested it out on a 400 mile treck this weekend. What a difference it made. No more herky jerkey feeling. It is well worth having. Still need to soften the suspension on the truck and I will be golden.