Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #1

Hauling a generator

I have a 5th wheel cedar creek and I just purchased a Honda 3000 generator and I plan to transport it in the bed of my truck. It weighs 134 lbs and I was looking for any ideas. wayne
wayne-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #2

Wayne, You didn't indicated the size of your truck, but this should not be a problem. I carry a generator in the bed of my truck, F550, but it is only about a hundred pounds. Do recommend you purchase an extension for your power cord. Makes it much easier to use with removing the generator from truck bed.

Tide Guy
(Roll Tide)
Ford F550 PSDCC
40' Travel Supreme
Tide Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #3

Leaving the gennie locked in the truck is a good idea. Loading/unloading may be difficult. Some have winch systems in garage, barn, etc to load & unload fiver hitches. works great with generators as well. A real back saver and a one person job. M2C.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
I have a Champion and fits in the bed fine even though it's a short bed and I put it behind the hitch because I have a tool box in front. Just have to make sure it is in long ways front to rear and did not move away from the side of the bed. Usually have it chained to the tie down in the rear corner of my bed. My cord reachs when I am hooked up to the trailer but if I am unhooked I have an extra cord for more reach.
steelpony555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:01 AM   #5

When I bought my generator the salesman told me that gens are the #1 stolen item from RV's. Engrave it, lock it and hide it if at all possible.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #6

Which Champ do you have? I have the C46540 and summer before last I carried it in the bed of by short bed F250 all the way to the passenger side length ways like you said as I also have a tool box in front of the hitch and it was OK, but for some reason during the trip I moved it to the center in front of the tail gate and cross ways and going over a railroad track or something the pin-box hit the 2 bars across the top and bent them down maybe an 1/8" and scrapped the paint. I got lucky it was not worse. Now I either make sure it stays on passenger side length ways or put it on cargo carrier on back of the 5er. I prefer to carry in the truck as I have a hoist at home and a portable hoist I can put in the receiver hitch and use either to lift it and don't need any help or risk my old back and replacement knee. Has yours ever hit carrying it like you do? Do you ever run it in that position? Mine does not sit perfectly level in the corner like that. The trip we are on right now it is behind the 5er and I run it on the road to keep 1 A/C running as it is so hot down here right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpony555 View Post
I have a Champion and fits in the bed fine even though it's a short bed and I put it behind the hitch because I have a tool box in front. Just have to make sure it is in long ways front to rear and did not move away from the side of the bed. Usually have it chained to the tie down in the rear corner of my bed. My cord reachs when I am hooked up to the trailer but if I am unhooked I have an extra cord for more reach.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #7

Carry my Gen behind the 5th hitch and the tool box. Have a long bed truck which helps. Installed a alum. bracket in the bed so the unit does not move around while traveling. Had a cover made to protect the unit from the weather as well as making it not as noticeable in the bed. Unit is attached to the bed with a cable and lock. In that we full time the unit is in the bed all the time.
This has worked well for us for the past five years, but never say never.

Tide Guy
(Roll Tide)
F550 PSDCC
40" Travel Supreme
Tide Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #8

thanks all, I think they make a hoist(maybe Bruno) that fits in the stake hole at the rear of the bed. I would like to price something like that. Wayne
wayne-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #9

I have one of these Cabela's: ForEverlast Hitch Hoist
Works well, rated for 450#.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #10

fiver hitch removal

Read threads talking about winches to lift out receivers from truck bed.

Guy I bought truck from said he used fiver landing legs to remove the receiver. It is mororized to move back and forth in a short bed.
He said just remove the keys and lift if up with the landing gear and leave hanging on the fiver. Covered it with a bbq cover. Said easy to drop back into bed and re-connect.
This make any sense ??

Advice appreciated,
Ray
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Which Champ do you have? I have the C46540 and summer before last I carried it in the bed of by short bed F250 all the way to the passenger side length ways like you said as I also have a tool box in front of the hitch and it was OK, but for some reason during the trip I moved it to the center in front of the tail gate and cross ways and going over a railroad track or something the pin-box hit the 2 bars across the top and bent them down maybe an 1/8" and scrapped the paint. I got lucky it was not worse. Now I either make sure it stays on passenger side length ways or put it on cargo carrier on back of the 5er. I prefer to carry in the truck as I have a hoist at home and a portable hoist I can put in the receiver hitch and use either to lift it and don't need any help or risk my old back and replacement knee. Has yours ever hit carrying it like you do? Do you ever run it in that position? Mine does not sit perfectly level in the corner like that. The trip we are on right now it is behind the 5er and I run it on the road to keep 1 A/C running as it is so hot down here right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpony555
No mine has never hit. We just have the 4000 watt one that so far is not a problem for my wife and I to lift up in easily. I think it would take a pretty good dip in the road to hit it. But I do keep it on a pretty short chain hooked to the tie down in the corner of my bed so it cant move a whole lot. Mainly want to keep it in the corner so when I unhook I don't have to push it around. I do use it in the bed if awake but am nervous using it like that if we are going to sleep in bed. I mean the thing is running right below my bed and I am afraid to carbon monoxide poisoning. Although I have seen people do that when parked overnite in Walmart parking lots. I almost died in the army from cm poisoning when our tank had an exhaust leak and we were buttoned up overnite, not fun. Oh and found an air conditioner cover that works well to cover it along with a long bungee cord. It fits almost perfectly like it was made for it.
steelpony555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Above all chain and/or bolt the generator down. There are just too many marginal crooks looking for the opportunity to relieve you of your generator.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #13

I bought the cover Champion sells and it fits perfectly like a glove, good quality too & reasonable price. I cable lock mine to the 5er hitch which has all 4 rail pins padlocked. The only time mine hit was when I had it behind the hitch cross ways in the bed. Don't think it will hit if it is length ways in the bed against the passenger side of the box. Cannot put on drivers side of the box as I have a small tool box there and a large tool box in front of the hitch. I'll have to take a picture of that next time the ginny is in the truck, right now it is on cargo carrier behind 5er with cable lock & 2 ratchet straps (will take a picture of that too. I have the Champ C46540 3,500/4,000 watt ginny.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Above all chain and/or bolt the generator down. There are just too many marginal crooks looking for the opportunity to relieve you of your generator.

Ken
We camp on the road at Rincon beach in so. California, and the thief's don't think twice about cutting a cable or chain to take your gen or bike. they have it down to waiting for the train to come by to do there dirty work and take off. I hear usually to resell cheap for drugs. I had mine in the bed with a camper shell and all was well, now with the 5th It is in the open and chained and cable locked. I usually camp in the off season, and this is a new think to me.
Ed ke6bnl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator