Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Manufacturers websites show how the walls are constructed.
For prior models from 5 to 10 years prior??? I've never seen that. Where do you find those? (Keep in mind that I'm shopping for used models, not new ones. And I grew up in RV factory country and spent time on the production lines. Production procedures/materials are not necessarily consistent year to year.)
FT'er,38' 5W/ToyHauler but no toys; rural eastern Texas 140mi.from Houston coastline.[On-grid gray/black-water code-compliant.] Interested in feedback re: climate/mold issues, vermin/pests/coyotes, energy-conservation tech & experiments, passive solar, RV security.
PaulAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #16

Well I just meant to get an idea, but you're right, that's for new.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #17

Jesilvas wrote:
>Manufacturers websites show how the walls are constructed.

I did try the Internet "Wayback Machine" archives for looking at manufacturer websites for old model years. It proved less hit than miss, unfortunately. Did you have some other website in mind?
FT'er,38' 5W/ToyHauler but no toys; rural eastern Texas 140mi.from Houston coastline.[On-grid gray/black-water code-compliant.] Interested in feedback re: climate/mold issues, vermin/pests/coyotes, energy-conservation tech & experiments, passive solar, RV security.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsdds View Post
Simple answer, if you don't change the air in it, bad things will start happening, particularly if it's "somewhat insulated" or "well insulated" and especially if it sits in an area of any humidity. Common problem for people who "store their units" for extended period of time, they go into it 11 months later to take it "on the vacation" open the door and it stinks to high heaven. Worse if you store it in area of high humidity (like Florida), but will happen if you store it in the north too.
You have to open the doors and windows occasionally and air them out, even it they just sit. People who have winter houses in Florida know that they have to leave the air conditioning on during the summer (when they are not there) at minimum of 78 degrees, or the house will not be livable when they come back for the winter.
I stored my rig in Florida this summer in Florida, stored it in a campground so I could have power to it and run the air in it all summer long.

hjs
This is mentioned In every manual for each rig I have owned. They mention how much water vapor animals and humans put into the air when living in an RV and it can be over 3 gallons a day. No matter if I have the furnace or AC on I have the fantastic fan vents open (how much depends on outside temps) and moving air out of the rig.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Honestly, you're way too hung up on mold/condensation in the walls. I don't see that as an issue, and I've had a lot taken apart.
The issues are water getting into the roof/walls. Cover it and seal it well, and you'll be fine.
I am thrilled to get this kind of reassurance!

Based on the kinds of answers I've been getting on various questions, it sounds like I don't necessarily have to pay a lot extra for a comfortable full-time RV for placement at a stay-at-one-permanent-site in east Texas (like I might have to do if I were to be living much farther north.) I'm certainly willing to be vigilant about roof and wall issues (and avoid window condensation dripping) so all of this certainly sounds encouraging.

It is sounding like winterizing probably won't be difficult without exceptional measures for my first winter even if I get a unit not renowned for "four season" use. (Yes, I realize those designations are questionable in any case.) But I had originally thought that for a long-term investment I might have to focus on the best known full-timer brands. Yet, I've been getting feedback that many east Texans have done well even with "economy" units.

I'm considering a $9,000 2004 32' New Vision 3-slider [why do so many ads leave out the model designation/number?] which despite the low price has 2 ACs with central ducting, 50amp power, washer/dryer, and many amenities---and I figure there must be a catch somewhere in there for that price. It is a few hours away but I have to head in that direction anyway on other matters so I'll be taking a look at it soon. I play to use a professional RV inspector no matter what I get. But based on my market research so far, that seems like a low price even for a private seller. Any reactions to the price? I see that the NADA guides take prices down to around $12,000 or so and I assume that autumn pricing is my best time of year to buy but the price just seems extra-low to me. But I'm not very familiar with the brand's reputation. Comments??
Old 09-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #20

Where's the link to the ad?
Old 09-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAllen View Post
I am thrilled to get this kind of reassurance! Based on the kinds of answers I've been getting on various questions, it sounds like I don't necessarily have to pay a lot extra for a comfortable full-time RV for placement at a stay-at-one-permanent-site in east Texas (like I might have to do if I were to be living much farther north.) I'm certainly willing to be vigilant about roof and wall issues (and avoid window condensation dripping) so all of this certainly sounds encouraging. It is sounding like winterizing probably won't be difficult without exceptional measures for my first winter even if I get a unit not renowned for "four season" use. (Yes, I realize those designations are questionable in any case.) But I had originally thought that for a long-term investment I might have to focus on the best known full-timer brands. Yet, I've been getting feedback that many east Texans have done well even with "economy" units. I'm considering a $9,000 2004 32' New Vision 3-slider [why do so many ads leave out the model designation/number?] which despite the low price has 2 ACs with central ducting, 50amp power, washer/dryer, and many amenities---and I figure there must be a catch somewhere in there for that price. It is a few hours away but I have to head in that direction anyway on other matters so I'll be taking a look at it soon. I play to use a professional RV inspector no matter what I get. But based on my market research so far, that seems like a low price even for a private seller. Any reactions to the price? I see that the NADA guides take prices down to around $12,000 or so and I assume that autumn pricing is my best time of year to buy but the price just seems extra-low to me. But I'm not very familiar with the brand's reputation. Comments??
Seeing it's being offered in Craigslist, I'd be very cautious. There are a lot of scammers on Craigslist. Remember the old adage, If it sounds to good to be true ................ You know the rest.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Where's the link to the ad?
I didn't include such a link because many forum prohibit any and all solicitations to sell, regardless as to who is the seller. I've not investigated the rules on iRV2 in that regard.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmerinwi View Post
Seeing it's being offered in Craigslist, I'd be very cautious. There are a lot of scammers on Craigslist. Remember the old adage, If it sounds to good to be true ................ You know the rest.
Speaking generically and not with reference to any particular RV on the market:
Low prices on RV units definitely concern me. If an RV owner is anxious to sell and decides to sell quickly at the same price he might get from a dealer, some low prices are certainly possible. But frankly, my main concern in low price situations is that a casual buyer might eventually discover that there is a lien against a unit---or even that a renter goes through the motions of selling the landlord's RV! (Title searches with conventional houses help find liens but I've wondered how often people get burned with RV purchases from private sellers.)

Has anybody had any experiences with such "gotchas"?
Old 10-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #24

I would ask a dealer to help you do the paperwork so that way it's all done cleanly.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A couple of points here. First is that R-Vision is not a full time trailer. It is meant for weekend use.

The less quality in the trailer, the lower the insulation values and the more problems with condensation on the inner walls. Also, the smaller the trailer, the less volume internally. Smaller volume is more subject to moisture build up and will require more venting to reduce condensation.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Our 5th wheel will be 10 years old in August, 2014 - we took delivery in August, 2004. When not in use it is in covered storage in Cypress, TX (NW of Houston) with 30 amp service and stays plugged in. We do not run ACs in storage in the summer and only use ceramic heaters in winter if the temps get into the mid 20s - many winters, I don't even have to winterize the unit. If I do, it's 4 miles from the S&B house, so it's easy enough to do if the forecast is for a rare "blue norther" to hit SE Texas. To date, no condensation, no water leaks and no mold problems whatsoever. I've attached a thumbnail photo below (ignore the pink flamingoes, it was "flocked" at a Texas Boomer rally) to show you its current condition - if you buy quality, it can be a better value in the long run.

Rusty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Creekmore's Rig.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	46974  
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #27

I live in Louisiana approximately one half mile from the Mississippi River. I think that you are worrying about mold and condensation issues that you don't need to. Air the unit out, keep the roof and other water entry point maintained and you should not have any problems. I have been through various hurricanes, storms, 105 degrees in the summer with 90% humidity and never a mold problem. Pick the trailer you like, do what the manufacturer says for roof and other leak points and you won't have a problem. Like a house, air it out, and that's it.
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
you are WAY too obsessed with the paranoia of mold

In Texas we HOPE for moisture !!!
we are in the realm of 29" below normal rainfall totals for the year...

When we built here in 2004, you could barely walk to the back of the property for the trees.... now, I'm buying trees so many died from lack of rain...

Tags
texas