Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2019, 08:57 AM   #1

Having an inspection done

Im currently on the market for a fifth wheel toy hauler. The problem is that im not having much luck in my immediate area. Does anyone have any information on having a 3rd party inspector go out and see one that im interested in? Ive already driven 6hrs to find soft floors, im not too interested in driving 10 to come back empty. Any help or info is apppreciated.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2019, 09:38 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you done a search like "RV inspections in the --------area"? There are inspectors that will go where the rig is and do the job, then report back. The good ones can charge a few hundred bucks at least for a detailed report with pictures. You can also search the RVIA site too- they probably have something on it.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Have you done a search like "RV inspections in the --------area"? There are inspectors that will go where the rig is and do the job, then report back. The good ones can charge a few hundred bucks at least for a detailed report with pictures. You can also search the RVIA site too- they probably have something on it.
No i havent done anything yet. I type rv insoection into google and i get the state safety inspections. I was just wandering what to expect maybe, if it was accurate or worthwhile....just any experiences i could learn from.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Im currently on the market for a fifth wheel toy hauler. The problem is that im not having much luck in my immediate area. Does anyone have any information on having a 3rd party inspector go out and see one that im interested in? Ive already driven 6hrs to find soft floors, im not too interested in driving 10 to come back empty. Any help or info is apppreciated.
A couple of things. I have done hundreds of boat inspections and been involved in hundreds of boat surveys. These are exactly like RV inspections.

I and most the surveyors I work with encourage the buyer to be present. The knowledge gained during the survey about the particular rig is invaluable. The person doing the inspection does not have you mind for what is an acceptable condition of cleanliness or layout of specific items. They just preform a "work/no work inspection.

Most people selling, and all dealerships will require an offer to buy before allowing an inspection. Usually the offer is written contingent on the rig receiving a satisfactory inspection.

Inspections are not cheep and will take an inspector all day. They are not a substitute for your own inability to look at the rig yourself.

A good inspector will find something (many things) wrong with every rig they look at. New or used. Without being there you get no feel as to severity or ability to be negotiated into the deal. Also you have no ability to see the inspector access various systems to get an idea of difficulty for repair or replacement.

Sure it is costly and time consuming to go view every rig you are serious about buying. But it is an expensive item to buy and expensive fix. I would not lay money down on something I have not seen at least twice.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
A couple of things. I have done hundreds of boat inspections and been involved in hundreds of boat surveys. These are exactly like RV inspections.

I and most the surveyors I work with encourage the buyer to be present. The knowledge gained during the survey about the particular rig is invaluable. The person doing the inspection does not have you mind for what is an acceptable condition of cleanliness or layout of specific items. They just preform a "work/no work inspection.

Most people selling, and all dealerships will require an offer to buy before allowing an inspection. Usually the offer is written contingent on the rig receiving a satisfactory inspection.

Inspections are not cheep and will take an inspector all day. They are not a substitute for your own inability to look at the rig yourself.

A good inspector will find something (many things) wrong with every rig they look at. New or used. Without being there you get no feel as to severity or ability to be negotiated into the deal. Also you have no ability to see the inspector access various systems to get an idea of difficulty for repair or replacement.

Sure it is costly and time consuming to go view every rig you are serious about buying. But it is an expensive item to buy and expensive fix. I would not lay money down on something I have not seen at least twice.
Thanks for the words of advice. I know what i like to look for but i guess i didnt really look at it from that perspective(making sure what i want looked at gets looked at). It usually takes me nearly 2 hrs to go through enough to see what i need to see. Anything more than that i feel is small enough to handle after the sale. My biggest "fail" is water damage and structural damage. After that anything can be adjusted for in the price. Thanks again. I guess the wife will have to suffer through a few more road trips.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I see the issue as an adventure. Sure, the drive there may become a dud, but if not, you could tow your new rig home and use it on the way.

Keep in mind that toy haulers in general perform a lot of work that standard fifth wheels do not. Loads in and out, taken to off road areas, etc.

Keep looking, you will find one that says hello.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
I see the issue as an adventure. Sure, the drive there may become a dud, but if not, you could tow your new rig home and use it on the way.

Keep in mind that toy haulers in general perform a lot of work that standard fifth wheels do not. Loads in and out, taken to off road areas, etc.

Keep looking, you will find one that says hello.
I like that
Old 05-07-2019, 08:14 PM   #8

2014 XLR Thunderbird 415AMP

I can understand your concerns. We purchased our 2014 Thunderbird 415AMP in October of 2015. We drove 105 miles three times to review this used unit that we purchased. Did the same thing in purchasing our F-350 we bought deep in Georgia. Everything turned out well. You are considerably further away. I would contact a closeby RV dealer to determine if they have an inspection service available. Other than that there jus' isn't an easy way to determine whether the unit is worth the trip. Calculated risks on whether you are being reliably informed on the condition of the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	245165  
Old 05-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #9

unless a high end used unit not much id drive a couple hours to look at. Being your looking for toy hauler. If it wasnt a Newmar x-aire, Rally sport by travel supreme or minimun a drv toy hauler id stay home.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #10

That's a ridiculous and heavily biased statement. Our problems involved only appliances, not build quality. We dragged this thing all over the US for three years. It was a gas. Went thru all six tires. We were fortunate to find such a good unit used. It still is a great unit. No leaks, no problems caused by Forest River. Three Dometic 15K AC's however. The Thunderbird AMP's are premier toyhaulers. If you didn't have one whereupon you speaketh?

We felt confident with another Forest River, this time a new 379FLOK. Same result. So far owned eight months months and lived in it six months. Another great unit. No appliance issues as of yet but as they're being used a lot we expect something will become a issue...maybe the 22foot LG residential fridge that has a poor public reputation.

We travel about 8-10K/year. Away from home about 8 months. Armed neighborhood and open targeting field assures home security.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
unless a high end used unit not much id drive a couple hours to look at. Being your looking for toy hauler. If it wasnt a Newmar x-aire, Rally sport by travel supreme or minimun a drv toy hauler id stay home.
Well, when your options are between nothing and a 2005 puma, it makes it tough not to drive.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:09 AM   #12

dwhit
We have a 2015 thunderbolt as well that we live in full time.
Found some minor issues, as ALL campers and motor homes have, but nothing that was major.
Mine is the 415 amp which has about 44’ of living space. Lovin it!!
U-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Simply bad advice. Amazingly bad advice and simply wrong.