Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2016, 12:54 PM   #1

Headache rack and rails OK with 5er?

I have a headache rack and rails that go along the bed that makes things easy to tie down and what not. Wondering if those will present a problem for me with a 5th wheel?

The rails only add about 3 inches to the height of the bed.

It's a short bed I'm going to get an auto slide hitch, just wondering if the headache rack will hinder my ability to turn or anything like that.
Brandonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2016, 01:10 PM   #2

Depending on how far behind the cab the headache rack is, the slider may not be enough depending on the front cap of the trailer. The rails may or may not become a clearance problem to the overhang of a fifthwheel.

My 2013 ram 4x4 dually is too close with my 2014 DRV Elite Suite, I only have about 3.5" at the tailgate for clearance, but my trailer is level. That is the important part, the trailer needs to be pulled as close to level as possible. I have to be careful on driveway entrances and exits. Also have to watch spaces that are too far off level or canted.
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #3

thanks, rooster. Hard to figure it out without having something to hook up.

Probably ought to just take it off. I don't see a lot of pictures of trucks with them installed with 5th wheels.

Not the end of the world just makes tying things down easier.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #4

The newer trucks seem to have higher bed sides than before, my 2004 ram 3500 has about 6.5" clearance on same trailer.

until you decide on a trailer, it is kinda unknown as to what clearance you can expect. Depending on the suspension of the trailer, some can do an axle "flip", some can have longer shackles, some like mine have to have the suspension dropped and a steel tube spacer installed.

Mine has the MorRyde IS suspension sytem, and like rubber torsion axle systems they do not have equalizers like on leaf spring trailers. Leaf Spring trailers are more tolerant to being towed unlevel due to the equalizers, they help to even the load between axles. If my system is towed high in front the rear axle will be carrying more of the weight than the front wheels.
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:49 PM   #5

Remove rails......replace with Bullring Anchor Points
Slip into stake pockets ---they pull up/push down for clean rail
They install very securely and WORK Great.
I have had same ones (6 ----3 each side) for 10 yrs.

Bullring....
Truck Tie Downs - Bull Ring - Chevy - Ford - Dodge - GMC - Toyota

You NEED that 5th wheel overhang to truck bed clearance.......minimum 6" but 7" or more is better.

Headache rack.....
Depending on how far slider moves king pin back when turning it might clear

Just remember 5th wheel at least 96" wide so you need at least 48" radius to clear cab/back window/rack etc.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #6

Definitely remove both to begin with then with some towing experience you may be able to reinstall them. But the side rails are very unlikely, today's trucks are so tall and everyone needs as much vertical clearance as possible, giving up 3" is a big deal.

Same with the headache rack, you are loosing clearance that may be critical for maneuvering. But then I have a short bed truck and don't use a slider hitch, has worked fine for 27 yrs across 4 SB trucks and 5 fifth wheels. With a slider and care, you may be ok.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:01 PM   #7

Yeah sounds like with the short bed especially those inches are pretty important. I will definitely remove it and see how things play out.

Thanks for the info!

Tags
ada