Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2016, 01:02 AM   #1

Heads Up to DRV Suites Owners

While doing some work in the basement of my Mobile Suites 5th wheel, I had reason to remove the sliding doors that access the furnace and water manifold areas. Back inside the coach, as I headed up the 3 steps to the front bedroom, I noticed light shining around the sliding pocket door that separates the upper area from the rest of the trailer. Upon further inspection, I could see into the basement through the space between the door and the frame! I put my iPhone up to the crack and snapped the first picture. In it, you can clearly see the drain pipe going to my gray tank. (The photos needs to be rotated 90* clockwise.) The second photo shows the pocket door. I took the first picture through the space next to the bottom of the hand rail. The open area appears to be about 3' wide and 2' tall. I was shocked that this wasn't sealed off from the factory with at least a panel. At the very least, it allows unconditioned air a straight path inside; and at worst, it might let any critter that can make it into the basement right on in. I'm going to go through the bottom of our pantry to get back there to seal it off. It's by far the easiest way to access it. I just thought I'd give any other DRV owners out there the info on my trailer, in case yours is built the same way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	135268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door 2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	135269  

tampabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 02:25 AM   #2

I'd venture to say, yours is not the only brand to show similar build technique/quality.

Saving building material is one way the manufactures save money. To them it would not be high on the priority list to seal an area you most likely would never see.

That's where we who care will come in and make the improvements left out by the factory.

DTW

Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:06 AM   #3

So this is open from the basement up or only if the furnace access panels are open?
Old 08-08-2016, 04:50 AM   #4
paz

tampabiker, thanks for the heads up. Just checked the pocket doors on our DRV Tradition. Good news. The slots for both of them have a bottoms on them and are not open to the basement. Maybe they just missed something on yours.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #5

Think about how your furnace works. There is no return air duct work. Because of that, there has to be some open area to give a free flow back to the furnace. Without it, your furnace air flow will be reduced and possibly overheat.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
Think about how your furnace works. There is no return air duct work. Because of that, there has to be some open area to give a free flow back to the furnace. Without it, your furnace air flow will be reduced and possibly overheat.

I think this is the return-Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470673061.641462.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	135304
Old 08-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
I think this is the return-Attachment 135304
And here I thought DRV was just being cheap and cutting corners! Steadfast and JBurg, you are correct. After I saw your posts, I dug out my owner's manual for the furnace and did some reading. I knew the screened area above the pantry was a return vent because I took it off last week just to see what was in there. (It would make a great area to hide something) There is also a vent behind the toilet that goes into the same void. It is indeed the return airway; I just didn't realize it was wide open like that. I'm going to at least figure out a way to screen it in like the panel above the pantry. My biggest concern is critters. I also read in the manual to avoid having the furnace and the air conditioner utilize the same duct work unless a damper is in place, to prevent corrosion in the combustion chamber from condensation. I know they don't, but after taking two of the flexible ducts off at the furnace (I needed to access the area behind them), there is a flow of cold air coming through them as backflow from the living area of the trailer. I think I'll look at getting some floor registers that can be closed. I'm glad y'all posted your opinions before I closed that area off. Educated dialog is the main reason I come to this forum.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #8

Hiya,

Thanks for the heads up.
Our floor plan is different, so I didn't notice any similar anomalies. I do think they (mfr.) consider the basement area an insulated / conditioned space.

Happy motoring.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #9

I don't have a DRV, but I think having air circulation is by design to prevent freezing in cold weather.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantobon View Post
So this is open from the basement up or only if the furnace access panels are open?
It's always open; it's just that the access panels being out let enough light back in the rear of the furnace area for me to see it from inside the trailer.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
I don't have a DRV, but I think having air circulation is by design to prevent freezing in cold weather.
I'm sure you're probably right about how they design it, but they also provide a 2" vent that goes over to the water manifold area to prevent freezing. It's in the same compartment as the furnace; it's just on the opposite side.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #12

You might post this on one of the other sites that Drv owners are active on, 5th wheel forums or the Thor forum for Drv. There was a suites owners forum but it moved to somewhere else I haven't found yet.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:20 PM   #13

^^
Suites Owners – Available to any owner of a DRV Luxury Suites recreational vehicle
Thor Forums - Powered by vBulletin
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:45 PM   #14

Mines open there but I don;t see the problem. The basement is closed and heated. I live in Georgia and winter in Florida so there is no chance of keeping bugs out anyway.

stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote