Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #1

Heartland big Country vs Keystone Montana

I'm looking at both of these - cant decide between these two..any thoughts between these two?
Beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to brandypup
Never been to either but I would do Montana as that is were I want to live and have a farm. :-)
Old 05-05-2012, 05:53 AM   #3

Both are good 5th Wheels, Thor Industries owns both Keystone (Montana) and Heartland (Big Country).
Both brands have a loyal following, good factory support and the same 1 year warranty.
Buy the one that has the layout and floorplan that just feels right.
Also if looking at different dealers, buy from the dealer that will do a great PDI and provide support after the purchase, then most important, go camping and enjoy.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #4

Some friends of ours have a Montana, but we just were not sold on the floor plans they offered.

We had a Heartland (builder of Big Country) TT at the time and knew the quality of it, and we decided on that line for our fifthwheel.

With that being said, we looked at the Elkridge, Bighorn, Landmark and Big Country and the Big Country was the one that offered us the floor plan we wanted. Have been very pleased with the purchase.

Heartland also has a great customer service department!!!!!

Archie
archbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Montana is the best selling 5th wheel for nine (ten?) years in a row, good product and good support. Get the one with the floor plan you like best.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #6

Thanks for the replys. That helps us out quite a bit! I do have a question about what you look for in the floor plans? It seems to me besides the actual size that most of the floor plans are very similar. We were told it makes sense to buy one that when the slides are in, you can still access the refrig and bathroom. Any other key points we should really be considering regarding floor plan?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #7

I agree, when we bought out 5th Wheel, finding a floorplan with access to the Refig and bathroom with the slides closed was important.
Also for us being in the South, 2 A/C units and being able to view the TV straight on from the Recliner or primary seating was important. A large rear window and lots of storage too.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to brandypup
*blush* feels stupid now. lol How dare they name 5th wheels after places I want to live. :-)
Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #9

Ha Ha, that is too funny!
Old 05-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #10

Bighorn 3185

We just purchased a BH 3185 RL. Traded in a Cedar Creek Silverback. The living room and kitcken is second to none when it comes to roomy-ness. It is huge. We bought ours with the 4 door fridge with ice maker and the auto level up system. We just got it home and won't use it until May 20th. It's a 2013 and my insurance went up because of the 2013 year model. I haven't heard of that before. Wayne
wayne-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
I have the Montana 3400RL. We love it! Like Rob-Fla stated we have access to the fridge and bathroom when our 4 slides are closed. Just find the one that best suites your needs.

Lou
Old 05-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I have the Montana 3400RL. We love it! Like Rob-Fla stated we have access to the fridge and bathroom when our 4 slides are closed. Just find the one that best suites your needs.

Lou
We had a 3400RL also. Great rig and great floor plan.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We looked at both and bought a 4 year old Carriage Cameo. I was not impressed by either for the cost.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
HIA

Thumbs up

We also have the Montana. Our current one is the Big Sky 340RL with full body paint amd the four door fridge... This is our second Montana and we just love it. We live in ours full time and love the floor plan. It is so roomy.

We have several friends that have the Heartland and they love theirs also.
HIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland