Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2016, 01:14 PM   #1

Heartland Big Country VS KZ Durango Gold

I will be retiring soon and want a 5th wheel for Part time Travel. We have a 35' Rockwood 8314BSS Travel trailer we use now but only go to local lake a couple of weeks a year. We like the floor plan of the Big County 3650 RL and Durango Gold G370 RLT. I have read that Thor Industries own both Companies. If I read the Web site correctly Big Countries Yeti Package is an Option while Durango is already built in. My question is which 5th wheel do you think is the better quality unit? It looks like the Floor on the Durango is Thicker, Roof has wood Trusses. Big Country has metal Trusses and is made for full time camping. A lot of complaints on Heartland forum but very little info on KZ forum. Does the Durango have a 12" metal Frame? Does the Durango paint hold up to the hot Oklahoma Sun? Will The A/C Keep us cool with 100 deg. weather?
Thanks for the help
David
david2385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #2

I don't know anything about the Durango but I do have a 2014 Big Country 3650RL. I regularly visit the Heartland Forum page and don't recall seeing all of the complaints you report. I've seen a few but they seem to be handled OK. I think ALL companies will have some complaints. Yes the Big Country will keep you cool in the 100 degree Oklahoma weather (be sure and get two AC units), and it is a great floor plan. One bit of advice....if you don't plan on boondocking I would highly recommend the residential fridge option. Good luck with your quest.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #3

I'd be checking out Grand Design RV..
2014 Grand Design Solitude, 369RL, #107
2016 Chevy 3500HD, SRW, Diesel/Allison
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #4

Big Country vs Durango

Thanks wagonmaster for the info. We will be getting the Residential Frig. What about the elect. cook stove option? Will that keep the heat down in RV when cooking? With both AC on, TV and other stuff, cooking, and issue with to many amps. on 50 amp service?

Thanks Gsport> we will look at the Grand Design
The wife wants a window in the kitchen over the stove, and also the bowl in the bathroom may be a problem with the wife but well look at them.
Thanks

Any Info on the Durango Gold Unit?
Old 06-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #5

Remember, I'm not putting down the Durango.....at any rate I do have the gas stove/oven in mine and I haven't noticed any particular build up of heat. I rarely use the gas oven because we have a high dollar "toaster oven" that we use for all of our baking and broiling. It is kind of handy to be able to make a grilled cheese or something like that when on the road. You won't run out of amperage with 50A service on any RV. I've also put in a washer/dryer in that closet in the bedroom. The 6 point leveling system is another option you will want. I'm not recommending one over the other, just telling you of my experience with the 3650rl. Again, do all of your research and maybe join up with the heartlandowners forum for any questions.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:43 AM   #6

wagonmaster, you are giving me what I needed. Information on your 5th wheel. Thanks for all your help. I will be getting the 6 point level system. What about duel pane windows. Are they needed in Oklahoma? What dealer did you deal with? Did you have a good exp. with the Buy?
Thanks
Old 06-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #7

I don't have the dual pane windows but I bet they would be worthwhile. I do have the magna shades which are great. I also have the theater seating, which I like. Bought mine from Camping World in OKC and had a good experience. A lot of people don't like camping world but I can't complain. I think the salesman's name was Dale. I've had very few problems so I haven't really been in for any kind of warranty work. All of the minor problems I have had were handled by Heartland via the phone.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:58 PM   #8

I am on the Heartland forum almost daily and I don't see the negative feedback you are referencing.

We have a 2015 3596RE and we are very happy with our rig and have been full time going cross country for the last few months. We had our typical new RV issues that Heartland took care of without issue and have only had issues with our purchasing dealer.

+1 for Heartland, six-point leveling and the residential fridge.

Good luck!

2015 Big Country 3596 RE
2011 F350 CC Lariat DRW
norcalgundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:06 PM   #9

Be careful what you post on the Heartland forum. They will get very defensive and even ask you to leave if you criticize one. Even if it is a fact. jfyi
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:30 AM   #10

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Be careful what you post on the Heartland forum. They will get very defensive and even ask you to leave if you criticize one. Even if it is a fact. jfyi
This is true. If you start complaining they warn you once and second time you get black listed and barred forever. Just ask me how I know
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #11

Durango Gold is rated for full time and has a two year warranty. Not sure that the Big Country has a 2 year warranty.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:03 PM   #12

Quote:

Not to hijack the thread, but I lurked and just absorbed content for the three months leading up to our purchase of our Heartland. I then started to ask questions about issues I was having as I was working out the kinks and needing feedback on how to deal with our purchasing dealer and everyone was great, with a few Landmark snobs

Now, I've not started any pushback with anyone, but I'm aware of a handful of members that I could have some fun with if I was bored one day.

I do have to say, that full body paint job on the landmarks sure is pretty.

2015 Big Country 3596 RE
2011 F350 CC Lariat DRW
norcalgundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:28 PM   #13

Quote:
I was a poster on there for 6 years. Never had a problem. I personally know lots of people that post there. You'll see lots of negative posts but they are usually respectful...
Old 09-28-2016, 11:14 AM   #14

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottoys View Post
I was a poster on there for 6 years. Never had a problem. I personally know lots of people that post there. You'll see lots of negative posts but they are usually respectful...
Must depend on how critical you get. I was a poster on there and received a lifetime ban for being too critical. I also received private messages from another guy that was too critical and received a lifetime ban. We did not use foul language, just were too critical. They only want positive ownership posts on there.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland