Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
Evergreen Owners Club
Heartland Bighorn--realistic tow vehicle?

Hello Bighorn RVers...

I'm ready to pull the plug on my 2013 Evergreen Bay Hill 5th wheel. Today my wife and I visited a local Heartland Bighorn dealer. I inquired about which Bighorn(s) my 2007 GMC 2500HD diesel could realistically tow. The truck is rated to haul 14,800 lbs. My current trailer weighs in at 14,100 GVWR and is 36 feet in length. The salesman optimistically said my truck could haul any Bighorn up to about 38 feet.

I would really appreciate those of you who have Bighorn towing experience commenting on the salesman's assessment. Would a one-ton tow vehicle be a more realistic choice? In particular, we are looking at two Bighorn models, the BH 3010 RE or BH 3260 Elite, both allegedly in my current truck's towing range.

KenInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The BH 3010 RE looks to have a GVWR of 14,000#, so it would be comparable to your Bay Hill. I would guess though that you are over your GVWR of your truck with either. The truck will weigh in around 7000# or more, without anything in it. The pin weight will be over 2500#, so your truck will weigh close to 10,000# with the hitch and passengers. The Elite model is way too heavy for your truck. It's GVWR is 15,500#, which puts the pin weight approaching 3000#. This will put you over your trucks GVWR and your rear axles GAWR.

03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
Thor Owners Club
My 2013 Silverado 2500HD is rated to haul 15,500# and has a GVWR of 10,000#. It weighs about 7,800# empty. A pin weight of 2500# would put me over.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, mini Dachshunds
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:46 AM   #4
Mid Atlantic Campers
You asked a salesman. What does any salesman want to do? Sell product or tell the truth? I've met a few that would have either said they didn't know and help you look it up, or look it up themselves and give you the correct answer. Why would one of them know it right off the top (unless they had the same truck)?
2010 Montana 3665RE, wet bolts, etc.
2006 Ford F350 Diesel Dually, air bags, Softopper, Aeroshild, etc.
Walt Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
Texas Boomers Club
HERE is a website that is written by a fellow Heartland owner.
2011 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon
JayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
You asked a salesman. Why would one of them know it right off the top (unless they had the same truck)?

Maybe because they have been in the business for years and have the experience?

Not all sales people are as horrible/dishonest as some make them out to be.

Just saying.....
2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
2009 Silverado 3500 CC LB
Our Trip Journal
Us out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #7

If you haven't purchased the truck look at 1 ton's only due to the payload problem that most 3/4 tons have. I currently have a 3/4 ton GMC D/A and I pull a Bighorn with a 2300 pin weight, made worse by a W/D combo and a 2nd AC along with our stuff which is pretty light looking at what other's carry. I know my truck is over on Payload, but I cannot say I"ve every been uncomfortable traveling. The only liquids we carry in the tanks is a couple of gallons of water for using the toilet and maybe a little in the black tank.
Our next truck will be a 1 ton for the reason I know I'm overweight - could pay dumb but I don't think that will work. I'm not running out to do it right now because the dumb truck manufactures are still figuring out how to mount FW hitches in the beds.
2012 Heartland Bighorn 3070RL, Trailer Saver BD3
2015 GMC Sierra 3500 SLE CC, Shortbed D/A
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First mistake is asking the salesman. His ONLY interest is selling the biggest tailer he can to you.

His lips moved thus he was probably lying.

The so called tow rating published by the truck manufacturers is a fairy-tale number. It is based on a base model stripped truck with only a 150# driver...no passengers, no cargo and not even a hitch.

Weigh your truck as loaded for trailer travel, full fuel, passengers, hitch and cargo.

Look on the door jamb for the GVWR and rear axle GAWR. The owners manual will have a listing for the GCWR for your cab, axle and engine.

GVWR - loaded truck = Maximum loaded trailer pin weight.

GCWR - loaded truck = maximum loaded trailer weight.

The small print on the manufacturers tow rating will have a statement something like NONE of the manufacturers ratings are to be exceed. You do not get to pick and choose which two of the three you will meet.

As noted, you are most likely already exceeding the trucks GVWr and possibly the GAWR.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #9
Evergreen Owners Club
The math is working against me !

Thank you...all of you...for calling attention to weights and towing details that get lost sometimes in the momentary grandeur of the RV. The Bighorn oozes numerous desirable features. If I do part ways with my Bay Hill, I will have a fresh and perhaps a more realistic perspective on 5th wheel selection. Once again, thanks to all who have replied. I really appreciate your input.

KenInCA is offline   Reply With Quote