Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #1

Heartland Gateway

We are thinking seriously about looking into the purchase of a Heartland Gateway, 3300 I was wondering if any one out there has had any experience with the Gateway. My wife has looked at a lot of fifth wheels and is really impressed with the storage, particularly with the kitchen. We are currently pulling a TT but just ordered a new f250 with the 6.7 diesel and in a year are so we are planning to move up to a fifth wheel, so are research has begun. I'm looking forward to any input and ideas from the many great people on the forum.
Joe N is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #2

Be sure to watch weight ratings, especially with an F250.
That's a cool layout with the island hook in the rear; haven't seen it yet.

50A is the best thing to get, then watch your insulation values.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Be sure to watch weight ratings, especially with an F250.
That's a cool layout with the island hook in the rear; haven't seen it yet.

50A is the best thing to get, then watch your insulation values.
The trailer has a dry weight of 11,519 and the truck can pull 15,900 so I think I will be ok , what do you think?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #4

Unless you'll pull it empty all the time, that isn't accurate. Use loaded GVWR.
And you need to weight the truck with all your stuff in it, and use other weight ratings like GVWR and GAWR as well. Many things to learn and consider.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Unless you'll pull it empty all the time, that isn't accurate. Use loaded GVWR.
And you need to weight the truck with all your stuff in it, and use other weight ratings like GVWR and GAWR as well. Many things to learn and consider.
The GVWR rating is 14,000. The GCWR is 23,500.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
If you want to talk to other Gateway owners, come on over to the Heartland Owners forum.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #7

At 11,665lbs for a dry brochure weight that will likely be closer to 11,900 delivered, and adding 12-1500lbs of cargo you're in the neighborhood of 13500lbs loaded. That puts the pin around 2700lbs.
If your F250 is a loaded model like a King Ranch then the CCC for the truck will be around 2000lbs. Well under the 2700lbs needed for the pin.

But on a different note from what I saw this weekend at the CG you will have no problem. I saw a 2500 Chev gasser pulling a Fuzion 360 TH 39' 5'er. Dry pin around 3000lbs and dry weight close to 13000+lbs. Only stuff that came out of the back were some kids bikes. Also saw another 2500 Chev gasser pulling a Heartland Big Horn. Not sure on the weights on that one but I have no doubt the guy pulling the BH was over everything.

You really need an F350 for that Gateway.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #8

I own a 39 ft Big Country by Heartland and there is no way I have 3000 pin load. The Heartland units are well balanced and tow well. 14000 lbs is the norm for being towed by SRWs.
Been on the road for 2 days from LA to TX and never came across a duelly towing a large 5th wheel.
I towed a 2000 lbs car behind, my 12000 lbs 5th wheel for 3 years and never once felt any more load towing. The truck was a 98 GM diesel rated for 8500 lbs.
I filled my F250 yesterday morning with bad fuel and my trailer really felt heavy. MPG rate fell from 14 MPG to 9.6 MPG. Like I said earlier the Heartland units are a dream to tow.
Join the Heartland Owners Forum and don't believe all that is said here by some that have more time to spend writing then towing experience.
I read these articles and get a laugh at the comments said on here. But to me it passes the time on the road waiting for the next day trip across this great country.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #9

14mpg with a trailer? Wonder if that's hand calculated or the computer
Old 01-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe N View Post
We are thinking seriously about looking into the purchase of a Heartland Gateway, 3300 I was wondering if any one out there has had any experience with the Gateway. My wife has looked at a lot of fifth wheels and is really impressed with the storage, particularly with the kitchen. We are currently pulling a TT but just ordered a new f250 with the 6.7 diesel and in a year are so we are planning to move up to a fifth wheel, so are research has begun. I'm looking forward to any input and ideas from the many great people on the forum.
If it were me, I would change the truck order to an F350 or stay with travel trailer. I've been down that path and speak from experience. You may wish to ask those that haul fivers with 3/4 ton trucks if they plan to replace their truck with another 3/4 ton when it wears out
Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
If you don't want to tow over any of the manufacturer's ratings, be aware that the GVWR of an F-250 will be the limiting factor in the weight of the 5th wheel you can tow. Your F-250 will reach its GVWR due to the pin weight of the loaded 5th wheel before you ever reach its GCWR from which the fictitious "manufacturer's maximum trailer tow rating" is derived.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #12

Only way you can tow the max tow rating is with a bumper type trailer, like a flatbed with 10% tongue weight. 14,000lbs and a 1400lb tongue weight is definitely doable. Make that 14,000lbs into a GN or 5th and it's 2800lbs.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #13

It might pull it but the question is how well will it stop it.
ccrider, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider, View Post
It might pull it but the question is how well will it stop it.
That's only an issue if the trailers brakes stop working. By that reasoning any vehicle will have trouble stooping if the trailer brakes quit working.

Tags
heartland