Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #15

I am more quesy picking a rig with batten insulation in the walls. It makes sense to me that this batten insulation will eventually fall from the top of the wall and leave an uninsulated air space.

The Landmark does feel solid, even with the landing gear up. It is difficult to get the rig to rock at all.

At the Tampa Show I looked at several Mobile Suites and Excel Limiteds. The Excel has really nice units with hard wood floors but the wall going up the steps is only 25" wide. Our current 5er is 30". Mobile Suites has batten insulation in the walls.

I was not even going to look at the Landmark but thought what the heck. I was walking right past it. So I stopped in.
I saw 17.5" tires, huge storage, electric cord reel, disc brakes, sample of their welds, roof, and floor, they have MCD shades, etc.etc. Plus the unit feels very solid.

Two trips to the Tampa Show I came away with the custom builders New Horizons, Space Craft, Forks RV as the best.

Followed by Landmark and Presidential as units I would buy.

DRV and Excel both with batten insulation will require a little more research. I would like to understand how in the world they keep batten insulation from dropping in the walls.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #16

I need to add to my previous statement. When I stated Landmark likely best from Eckhart area I was referring the mass produced units. DRV's are not mass produced. Concerning insulation, I have seen a DRV with the belly covering removed. There is over a foot of wool insulation under those floors.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #17

Agree - batten insulation is ok in the roof and floor where it is likely to stay in place on a horizontal plane, it is in the walls, especially the top of the walls where vibration and gravity combined will likely cause batten insulation to drop down from the top of the wall and cause empty air pockets with no insulation.

That as these units leave the factory with the best insulation it is likely they arrive at dealers 1,300 miles away with small gaps in wall insulation starting. That at 25,000 miles the gap could be significant.

Gravity and road vibration is likley a bad thing for batten wall insulation.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
If that were the case, I would expect to see evidence of a thermal gradient looking from the top to the bottom of the exterior walls on a morning with frost or dew on the walls. I see absolutely none on our almost 10 year old MS. I have no complaints about the thermal or acoustic insulating properties of our MS whatsoever. Sorry, tuffr2, but I don't consider the Heartland anywhere close to comparable to our Mobile Suites. YMMV, of course since it's your checkbook and your decision.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #19

Heartland and DRV are no comparisons. I lived in a Mobile Suite for 4.5 years. Although there are some things we didn't like, it is a beautiful solid coach. When we personally viewed the Landmark it seem and looked "cheap" to us. Now it is $30,000 less money so you get what you pay for. If we hadn't lived in a DRV we might not have felt this way. It is not my intent to down play the Landmark. For the money I believe you can't do much better. We did not want to go down in quality and decided to get this used Teton. Now it is also in a different category than a DRV. I would also like to advise to stay clear of Landmarks/Bighorns 2 years or older. They have come a long way in the last few years. Lots of frame issues in early years. Also on the theory that insulation falls down, no real way to prove either way without tearing walls down. I do know they are easy to heat and cozy. Never heard any DRV owners complain of being cold. We could use our heat pumps down to teens with a small electric heater's help.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 01-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #20

I get a kick out of everybody measuring the frames of the trailers to determine whether a trailer is good or not. That's like saying a blond is a better wife then a redhead. There are many things that all have to come together for a good RV and there's more to a woman than her hair.

The question is......does the the particular rv have a history of frame failure? If not then it's a mute point. Thankfully frame issues are few and far between on the full time 5th wheels. I'm waiting for a RV manufacture to build a piece of junk trailer but with a 20 inch frame to make everybody happy. Then we could all compare.............?
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by magzne1 View Post
I get a kick out of everybody measuring the frames of the trailers to determine whether a trailer is good or not. That's like saying a blond is a better wife then a redhead.
Not even remotely comparable. A blonde versus a redhead is a matter of personal preference. Analysis of frame construction is based on mechanical or structural engineering considerations. One is subjective, the other is objective and measurable.

Rusty
Old 01-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #22

There are a Montana and a Bighorn in our rv park now with front frame failure. Pin is bent forward and cracks in sides, tape over windows due to gaps. Never seen this on a DRV, Nu-wa, Teton, etc.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #23

Don't mean to scare anyone with a MS, but every bridge you drive over or any commercial building you walk into will be supported by the dreaded I-Beam design.

Increase your life insurance according.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
I-beams have their place. The entry-level DRV Tradition (formerly the Select Suites) utilizes a 12" I-beam frame. The higher-level Mobile Suites and Elite Suites use the 15" stacked box-section rectangular steel tubing frame.

Rusty
Old 01-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #25

Nothing wrong with I beam. I'm surrounded by it at work. But it isn't paper thin either. Some of the frames I personally seen can have two 12" crescents locked to them and twist the steel. Even good I beam has to be braced adequately. My Teton has I beam but the bottom flange is 1/4" thick. Also 2X4" tube steel welded to bottom. But it better be as much as these weigh.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by magzne1 View Post
I get a kick out of everybody measuring the frames of the trailers to determine whether a trailer is good or not. That's like saying a blond is a better wife then a redhead. There are many things that all have to come together for a good RV and there's more to a woman than her hair.

The question is......does the the particular rv have a history of frame failure? If not then it's a mute point. Thankfully frame issues are few and far between on the full time 5th wheels. I'm waiting for a RV manufacture to build a piece of junk trailer but with a 20 inch frame to make everybody happy. Then we could all compare.............?
Well said
Totally agree with your point.
After all it's RVs and the need for easy tow and affordability is important.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
Well said
Totally agree with your point.
That's what they all say at first. Then later on they are crying wondering why it's breaking.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
That's the whole premise behind the ultra-lite trailers. Why do you think we have so many threads complaining about how flimsy and fragile many of these trailers are? Skimping on design and/or construction materials to get light weight and cheapness is, IMHO, false economy.

Rusty