Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
That's the whole premise behind the ultra-lite trailers. Why do you think we have so many threads complaining about how flimsy and fragile many of these trailers are? Skimping on design and/or construction materials to get light weight and cheapness is, IMHO, false economy.

Rusty
Landmark is FAR from an ultra-lite trailer....the use of a good 12" I beam, as in the Landmark, is not "skimping" on design or construction materials...and they are certainly not cheaply built...

If you're gonna compare, then compare apple to apples...the Landmark is in the same league as the Tradition by DRV...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #30

I perfer the Tradition over the Landmark. One very big dif is DRV are not mass produced. Heartland is. I have been in both and the Tradition didn't have the "cheap" feel or look to it as the landmark is. This is a personal observation.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
I perfer the Tradition over the Landmark. One very big dif is DRV are not mass produced. Heartland is. I have been in both and the Tradition didn't have the "cheap" feel or look to it as the landmark is. This is a personal observation.
Your right, it is personal opinion...I had the complete opposite...found the Tradition had a dated and "cheap" look to it...to each his own...
Old 01-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #32

Interesting there were 6 DRV's Mobile Suites at the Tampa Show and 3 LandMarks. Just my observation.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #33

Two of the dealerships we visited to view the landmarks are no longer stocking them. Can find Bighorns everywhere.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 01-18-2014, 06:56 PM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakampers View Post
Landmark is FAR from an ultra-lite trailer....the use of a good 12" I beam, as in the Landmark, is not "skimping" on design or construction materials...and they are certainly not cheaply built...

If you're gonna compare, then compare apple to apples...the Landmark is in the same league as the Tradition by DRV...
My quote applied to the highlighted text that I addressed in my quote but which didn't carry over to your post - RV manufacturers building for light weight and "affordability" that skimp on design and construction materials.

I agree that the Tradition was built to compete with 5th wheels such as the Landmark.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Two of the dealerships we visited to view the landmarks are no longer stocking them. Can find Bighorns everywhere.
Dealers come and go all the time...Manufacturers try to keep competing dealers at a reasonable distance from each other, and quite often take on or drop dealers based on location...
Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Comparing the use of an I-beam structure in a bridge vs the frame of a RV is like comparing apples and oranges. The bridge structure is fixed and does not move down the road with varying loads and twisting like an RV.

I love it when a non-engineer is telling everyone that there is no real difference in the I-beam and the box section structure.

The I-beam frame can be beefed up to be comparable to a box section, but the I-frame will be a lot heavier than a box section to obtain the same stiffness.

The manufacturers use the i-beams because they are cheaper than a box section beam and requires less welding than the stacked box section.

The story of the batt insulation settling is pretty much an old wives tale and a sales scare tactic from years back when some of the blown in wall insulation was used in homes.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest
If it wasn't personal before - as soon as someone says something is cheap - it becomes personal to someone else. Observation or not - there are nicer ways to say things.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

If it wasn't personal before - as soon as someone says something is cheap - it becomes personal to someone else. Observation or not - there are nicer ways to say things.
To bad Ford did invent the mass production line for affordability and quality. Because the world production and quality would possibly still be in the dark ages.

Like most of the failed RV manufactures that did not keep up with the times. There are more that needs to catch up. We just have to wait and see which one is going to be next.

As for stack rectangle tubes is actually old mobile home technology. They were delivered and placed on blocks for the balance of its life.
The walls are all equal strength or thickness while WF and I-Beams have advantages for thicker flanges for side or longitudinal strength.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #39

YES...YES...YES

Remember the good old days of RVing. When you enjoyed the people camping next to you without having to justify your RV by knocking the other guys purchase?

Last summer I was waxing my Redwood when a family pulled in next to us with a older mini-van and an older pop-up. This guy saw me looking over at his rig and he asked if I minded if he camped next to us. The fact was I was reminiscing of my 3 sons and I camping in a rig just like that many years ago. It was in that old pop-up that so much fun had been experienced.

I could have told him that my 4 G rated tires were worth more than his entire rig or that my Redwood has a 2+5 year warranty or I could have told him about my 12 inch frame or even told him about my $70,000 truck.

Instead of telling him mine was better.....we shared some laughter, a bottle of wine and welcomed his wife to use our luxurious bathroom.

I sure wish I would have measured his frame......funny, it slipped my mind.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by magzne1 View Post
YES...YES...YES

Remember the good old days of RVing. When you enjoyed the people camping next to you without having to justify your RV by knocking the other guys purchase?

Last summer I was waxing my Redwood when a family pulled in next to us with a older mini-van and an older pop-up. This guy saw me looking over at his rig and he asked if I minded if he camped next to us. The fact was I was reminiscing of my 3 sons and I camping in a rig just like that many years ago. It was in that old pop-up that so much fun had been experienced.

I could have told him that my 4 G rated tires were worth more than his entire rig or that my Redwood has a 2+5 year warranty or I could have told him about my 12 inch frame or even told him about my $70,000 truck.

Instead of telling him mine was better.....we shared some laughter, a bottle of wine and welcomed his wife to use our luxurious bathroom.

I sure wish I would have measured his frame......funny, it slipped my mind.
I build a 300 lbs teardrop trailer last summer that we pull behind our Miata. We get more fun and comments about it, then we ever got in the last 16 years towing a large 5 th wheel.
I had more fun, before, telling my stories about towing our 24ft older unit with our $6000 Ranger V6.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #41

magazine1 - actually when I see those pop-ups or worse yet those teardrop trailers I get envious...and think, man - that is the way to go!!!.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:12 AM   #42

Sorry if my crude ways offended you. It was not my intention. If you read back a few posts I stated that Landmarks are likely the best mass produced unit.