Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #1

Heartland Landmark

This seems to be a really nice 5er that can be optioned with 17.5 wheels, tires, 8,000lb axles and disc brakes. Roof and floor are really built and insulated well. Seems they have considered and improved many small issues. Like heat ducts insulated so they put out warmer air at the register.

It does have a 12" I-Beam frame.

Can owners tell me how solid their Landmark feels once living in it? Insulated ok?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #2

Don't live in ours, but have had it for 2 months, 3 different trips. Snowed on 1 of the trips, other had lows in upper 30's. We have Yeti package and dual pane windows and very happy with it. Fireplace has kept us warm, use a oil radiator heater when it got into 40's and below. At night, in 30's and below, with only radiator heater running, furnace kicked on sparingly.

Suggest Yeti package as it is pads on tanks and heat tape on water line from fresh tank along with extra insulation.

So far, very pleased. Rig does have a "solid" feel, 6 point levelers do a good job. Have some pics of ours in the new rig showoff. Do know they have changed the wood offered, and what we have is no longer available. I think ours was the last unit built with dark wood as we special ordered ours.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #3

Been in ours over a year...towed it about 7k miles. Very solid and tows extremely well.

Have been in exceptionally cold weather the last few weeks. Hovered around zero for 3 to 4 days...one morning dropped to 6 below. Only thing we added was some batten in UDC around water connections, also around propane tanks. We used heated hose and insulated and wrapped water bib. Added nothing to the basement or cargo bay...nothing froze and stayed a toasty 70 inside.

Neighbor with a 2012 MS had water manifold freeze even with door between cargo bay and basement closed and furnace running. After we thawed it out for her and wrapped manifold with batten she had no more problems
Old 01-17-2014, 05:40 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
We've been living in our Grand Canyon for over two years and its solid as a rock. We've been in over 100 degrees and down to 15 and it has kept us comfortable. We have a portable electric heater that we use in the bedroom in extreme weather, but so far the furnace and electric fireplace are doing the job.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #5

I didn't buy one but researched them thoroughly. Of all the units coming out of Elkhart region it is probably the best. Just remember that you have only 2" walls with aluminum studding. No a lot of area for insulation.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
I didn't buy one but researched them thoroughly. Of all the units coming out of Elkhart region it is probably the best. Just remember that you have only 2" walls with aluminum studding. No a lot of area for insulation.
Kept us quite comfortable down to -6 degrees...
Old 01-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Who has over 2" walls?
Old 01-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Who has over 2" walls?
Mobile Suites has 3-1/4" walls. See HERE. R25 roof, R16 walls and R29 floor.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #9

The Presidential has a thicker wall by .5 inch.

Heartland Landmark - R11 walls, R40 floor, R38 roof, R38 endcaps, R38 slide room floors.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd sure like to see Landmark really step up the competition and build with a better designed frame than the thin wall 12" I beam. But the frame is a deal killer for me.

Ken
Old 01-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #11

I agree the frame is a little light. Could be a problem down the road. Like I said likely best from Eckhart area. I personally did not buy one. Considered it but after research decided against it.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I'd sure like to see Landmark really step up the competition and build with a better designed frame than the thin wall 12" I beam. But the frame is a deal killer for me.

Ken
I have a Lippert 12in frame and for the past 5 years, never observed any weakness. The frame will not twist at all even jacking the unit with the front landing down. Everything moves as a solid unit.

I was moving my unit this fall with all 4 slides open and a friend said that he never seen it done that way.
I told him my unit is solid and nothing to worry. Our previous unit twisted with slide open while hooked to the truck without front landing down

My previous tubing high end trailer flexed so much that the roof was a problem. After 15 years it was the reason I traded.

We Choose this Heartland because of the frame strength, axle and tire package. And I trust my choice. I saw to many units with improper frame design and axle/tire choice.
I also saw a Excel owner leaving with hydraulic landing gear half up. And his plan was to stop often to raise them before they drop to much, not for me, I choose simplicity.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #13

We have a Landmark and have been living in it fulltime for a little over a year now. Have been in temps down to -10 and we were comfortable. We have the older 4 point leveling system with rear stabilizers and we always feel very solid.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
We put over 80 K trouble free miles on our Bighorn 12" I beam frame...our Landmark 12" frame has been greatly improved since then and we have put over 7 K on it...still no issues....either we are just "lucky", which I doubt, or the frames Heartland specs are MORE than capable of doing what they are built to do...JMHO.