Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #43

We bought a BigHorn 3 yrs ago. It has lived in the shop first 2yrs....due to the icebox (Dometic) issues, of not cooling properly...and not switching over to propane. We had swollen battery at one point thinking that was our problem of not switching over. Nope, that didn't fix the problem, it was very frustrating for us! To make a long story short....we now have a Norcold in our rig our service has been good but don't like the 3-4 wk wait for repairs...made me sick for them to have taken a window out to replace the fridge! Our kitchen sink feel in, our bathroom glass doors (hardware won't stay on glass) nor will the glass slide stay in the track. I like my unit just want it to be right, they have replaced the converter this spring after the Norcold failed!!! Now the fan in the convection is not working......my question to you all is .....is there a fan inside of the oven or is it the exhaust ? Seems like the microwave is not as hot as it use to be! I like my rig enough to put up with these issues....just wish Heartland had better QA in their workmanship!!! After the fridge was changed out a friend bought another brand and had the Dometic and noted that it went thru a defrost cycle periodically .....that made me question if we really had a problem to begin with.....but it would not switch over to propane so yes we did.....but nobody from our dealer to heartland ever brought this to our attention! Dometic didn't keep our food at a safe temp! Happy with the Norcold for now! Just wish the rest would be right, kind of bummed about my convection now.
Bayouslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #44

Ah, the quality of their products in the RV industry. There is some "cautious" love of certain brands, manufacturers or dealers, but mostly there is disappointment, chagrin, or even disgust. I wrote a very comprehensive article on the subject in 2006, since then the industry went through upheaval, downsize and "resurrection", but it doesn't seem like much has changed. Enjoy?

hjs
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
All I have to say is that wins the longest post in Irv history :-)
Old 07-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
All I have to say is that wins the longest post in Irv history :-)
JohnBoyToo, 'twas nothing to copy the pages.

hjs
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC View Post
My question is would that small production company take care of a problem in a five year old trailer? Heartland has always been very innovative and has offered more bang for your buck along with outstanding customer service to their customers.
Northwood Manufacturing who makes Arctic Fox and other brands, has a long history of standing behind their products. Our trailer is a 2007 model manufactured in 2006. Several small parts wore out and when I called the factory about them, they shipped them to me without charge. They consistantly go out of their way to help their owners. I have heard only one complaint on the forums about a Northwood product. They make heavy well built trailers. And they stand behind them even past the warranty.
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #48

My 2008 Heartland Bighorn 3670RL developed the pinbox area "frame flex" issue common to many 5th wheels with Lippert frames. I discussed the problem with Heartland Service, e-mailed them pictures, and HEARTLAND SERVICE AGREED TO REPAIR THIS AT THEIR FACTORY ON EXTENDED WARRANTY - A 1 workweek job for a crew of 3 that included removing the front cap and bedroom slide. THIS ON A 5 YEAR OLD UNIT! I would call that good manufacturer's service.
Also, if you are a member of the owners group and attend the national rally, the factory service team will fix 2 items for you FREE at the rally. I got a large slide vertical trim piece replaced and a new 6 foot Day-Night shade for the rear window.
Heartland also buys major door prizes at the national and regional rallies, pays for banquets and outings, and pays the National and Regional Owners Group leaders.
WDK450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:36 AM   #49

I am new to this forum. I like my Bighorn 3670 RL. It is not perfect but I feel you can get a lemon from any manufacture including the high priced units that people feel are better. I have fixed a few things on my rig but I expected that. If you want to camp in an RV you need to be able to fix things or have a big wallet available IMHO.
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #50

I agree with MobileCastle - in fact I'm sure I've said the same thing on other postings. I can only add that quality control is a serious new RV issue and I really think the manufacturer's can do better without much effort or cost on
their part.
But we ask a lot of these mobile houses that we bounce along the roads.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilcastle View Post
I am new to this forum. I like my Bighorn 3670 RL. It is not perfect but I feel you can get a lemon from any manufacture including the high priced units that people feel are better. I have fixed a few things on my rig but I expected that. If you want to camp in an RV you need to be able to fix things or have a big wallet available IMHO.
LOL, when I 1st got into the RV thing about four years ago I remember reading on some forum the same thing. The guy said "you either need to be rich or handy if you own an RV". I'm finding out that so far my handiness has come in handy
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #52

Sooo True

What's really sad in a way, but good for us, is that our amateur skill are most of the time better then the so called professional's that we pay. It's also the reason why I own a Trailer not a Motor Home because that is when you really have to have deep deep pockets!!!
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
2006 Landmark Shenandougha

So far I have over 80 hours in repairs- they have run the gamut from screws through line voltage wiring, open circuits in junction boxes, rebuild on kitchen cabinets (they used 1/8" cabinet sides to support the weight of the slide), water lines venting out the bottom that empty your water tank before you arrive to camp, and tonight - and I guess this is standard for the Landmark- my water tank fell out the bottom and was laying on the axle. Before the apology posse from Heartland starts with the mantra-you can get a lemon from any manufacturer- I want to clearly state- with Heartland you are buying lipstick- the bones ain't so good. Oh and as far as company support- I emailed 6 weeks ago asking where the vent is for my black water tank- most people at least acknowledge dog doo when they step in it- but so far nothing from Heartland.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #54

Forest River Owners Club
Good luck with your email the only way to get to them is by phone. Sorry to hear about your troubles but welcome to the club.
Urban350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:15 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
So far I have over 80 hours in repairs- they have run the gamut from screws through line voltage wiring, open circuits in junction boxes, rebuild on kitchen cabinets (they used 1/8" cabinet sides to support the weight of the slide), water lines venting out the bottom that empty your water tank before you arrive to camp, and tonight - and I guess this is standard for the Landmark- my water tank fell out the bottom and was laying on the axle. Before the apology posse from Heartland starts with the mantra-you can get a lemon from any manufacturer- I want to clearly state- with Heartland you are buying lipstick- the bones ain't so good. Oh and as far as company support- I emailed 6 weeks ago asking where the vent is for my black water tank- most people at least acknowledge dog doo when they step in it- but so far nothing from Heartland.
To me its BS.
From someone that cannot find the black vent. Its over the toilet.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Sorry to disappoint you BS, I have 30 years in the Plumbing trade and THAT is why I'm trying to contact Heartland- My snake from the roof goes to the Automatic Washer RI & no further. As to the other two vents on the other side, one is for the shower/basin and the other is for the Kitchen Sink. So far the only vent for the black water tank is from the water closet when we flush- there is a big rush of gas and bubbles from the WC but that is it. I was hoping to find out where it was intended so I could more limit my search and destroy- Mr BS's attitude pretty much reflects the sum total of the help I've had from Heartland.

Tags
heartland