Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #57

Texas Boomers Club
Poppasmurf, have you ever called Heartland customer service? I, along with thousands of others, have had outstanding service from them. Try calling 574 262-8030 and ask for the tech rep for your state and ask him. It might take a little research on an 8 year old unit. Heartland has made major changes from those older units.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 04:35 AM   #58

Your tank might be full. Ours act exactly like that when it needs dumping. When I first got my unit from the dealer I traveled over 100 miles to a CG and found out that the dealer had filled all my tank for testing and never drained them.
Sorry it looked like an other mischievous complaint against HL.
The black thank usually sits on top of the bath grey water tank to save space. So the vent might be seen by opening the basement panel.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Good call JayC

Thank you JayC, I called Heartland and got some relief. He informed me the vent should go up in the wall behind the WC. As happens in construction there is a chance someone may not have run it up through the roof or only ran it up half way. I now know at least where to take the walls down to find the vent. As for my water tank falling down, he suggested a dealer about an hour away who has a sterling reputation as a seller and service. I may be coming to the point where I have this thing under control and rendered usable and reliable. Thanks again.
In reflection, I bought this last fall as one of those "good" deals. All the equipment we wanted, smaller length (34') than other semi loaded up 5th wheel.The PO had slept in it for 4 nights, never cooked in it, didn't use any of the appliances, and only put a little water in to flush the pottie. All the appliances still had the original tags.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
At one time I had the president of heartlands email/phone number where he responded on a buddies Landmark issue I posted... let me find it... and I'll im you...
Old 08-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #61

Texas Boomers Club
Poppa, I'm glad you got some help. Please consider going to and joining (its free to join) the Heartland Owners forum. There's a world of information and other owners willing to help you out.

Good luck
Old 08-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
JayC- I am on the HOG forum, but I've had limited success there as most of my questions have to do with the build and layout-not the appliances therein. The owners mean well-I know this- but the accuracy of some of their answers is not right on the money. I've had questions about the layout and wiring of my satellite cable, location of vent for black water tank, 4 water lines out bottom of belly pan. The manuals for the appliances and Liebert stuff is available- I was looking more for the layout and location of where Heartland installed things. Hopefully when I open wall behind WC I can resolve this black water vent issue and have the potable water tank mounting repaired- maybe just deal with maintenance items rather than all this repair.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #63

Six months ago we purchased a brand new 2013 Big Country 3450. The list of warranty repair items is endless. It has been in the shop for over two months. Some parts have been on back order for three months. It is my opinion that a Heartland customer service is useless.

I have written two letters to the president of Heartland, but have gotten no relief whatsoever. When I talk to the rep at customer service, all he says is "uh huh" but does absolutely nothing to resolve the problems.

This is my first post on this forum, and I know that the newbie bashers will soon be after me, but facts are facts and my opinion is that Heartland does not care about customers after the sale. If you have gotten good service, please tell me your secret. Being nice, diplomatic and unemotional doesn't work.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #64

Texas Boomers Club
Poppasmurf, I don't know the answer to some of your requests but do know that some things are found in the owner-written manuals that many have found helpful.

Talkhost, I am sorry that you have had problems. Try coming over to the Heartland forum and see if another owner of your model can help you.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #65

I know I am late to the gave but my two cents:

Have owned a Northwood NASH and had few problems. Factory customer service was OK.

Had a used Forest River Cardinal for while with no issues then sold it to buy a lighter fifth.

Now own a 2005 Arctic Fox 27-5L and since I did not look closely when purchasing found that it had been USED. Was also told by an independent used RV seller that some Northwood products have excessive fifth wheel frame flex which can lead to siding stress cracks.

So, any product can have problems. What I look for is top notch customer service reputation as a go no go.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytraveler View Post
I know I am late to the gave but my two cents:

Have owned a Northwood NASH and had few problems. Factory customer service was OK.

Had a used Forest River Cardinal for while with no issues then sold it to buy a lighter fifth.

Now own a 2005 Arctic Fox 27-5L and since I did not look closely when purchasing found that it had been USED. Was also told by an independent used RV seller that some Northwood products have excessive fifth wheel frame flex which can lead to siding stress cracks.

So, any product can have problems. What I look for is top notch customer service reputation as a go no go.
When did Northwood start building their own frames. I though for a while they had someone else build them.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
I thought I should follow up with my saga. One of the posters on this board connected me up with the President of Heartland. He asked for a brief outline of the probelms I've encountered and said he would investigate and get back to me-that was 6 weeks ago. I phoned the so called sterling dealer to book an appointment and their reply was-"unless you bought it here we don't want to get involved with Heartland." I then booked it into an indy repair facility and got it back with my wallet $538.00 lighter-but it is fixed. The owner is a certified welder and he attached 2" angle brackets from frame to frame. We got it back and the coupe de grace was- our sliding door between the living area and the bedroom/bathroom area fell off it's mounting-actually the roller assembly pulled right out of the door. I now have to figure out how to get the sliding door off the track and out without destroying the wall behind the shower. I am so exasperated I just winterized and got it the hell out of my sight till next spring. I'll tackle the door and the black tank vent then. Anybody offer you a Heartland run don't walk.

Tags
heartland