Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
HEARTLAND vs. The Rest

Wanted to ask ya'll what your thoughts are on the Heartland brand of 5th wheel. I'm hoping for input from all 5th wheel brand owners who have considered Heartland or have input as to the quality, benefits, or whatever. Or those who purchased a Heartland and what they like/don't like about them. I am especially interested in the Landmark models.

I am considering trading my TT to a 5th wheel.

Thanks in advance!

2012 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, crew cab, short bed, Cummins 6.7L/6 speed auto/3.73's
2012 Arctic Fox 22GQ
SlyFox50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
New Horizons Owners Club
I had lots of problems and poor customer with my Heartland product, but I know of people who love them. All I can say is that I will never buy another one or recommend one.

Tim & Bev
2013 Cedar Creek 34RLSA
2012 F350
Urban350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
I purchased a sundance 3400 this year I have been very pleased with customer service. Before purchasing, I had all of my questions answered from the brand manager via email and a personal phone call from him. There will always be certain issues with any Rv but Heartland has always been easy to deal with and my dealer has been very helpful from purchase to small problems I have had.
2012 Ram 2500 TD HO HD CC short bed
Searching for the best fifth wheel
ncrzrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
We looked at Heartland 5ers and liked what we saw, good construction for the price point, good floorplans with lots of features.

Heartland was one of our Top 3 Finalists.

In the end we bought a Jayco Pinnacle 5er, it had the right floorplan for us, good solid construction for the price point and we got a much better deal that we could make either of the other two top finalists.

Jayco is a good solid company that stands behind their product with a 2 year warranty.
We have only had a few minor issues with our Pinnacle in our first year and a half of fulltiming.

We have not regretted our choice and really enjoy our Pinnacle.
Robert & Bale the Wonder Dog
2014 Redwood 38FL
2012 GMC 3500HD DRW
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Excel Owners Club
The real test for me is how the dealers treat you after the warranty runs out. We have had 3 5th Wheels from 3 different dealers and I would not recommend nor go back to any of the 3 again. I will go way out of my way to have major work done by the manufacturer. They are more economical, faster and way more adept at fixing their own rigs.
Adirondack Jack, Niki, K.C. & B.B.
2011 Excel Classic Model 30RSO, 2011 Ford F-250-SD 6.2L, 385HP, 4.3 Axle
Retired and Exploring America - http://www.snowbirdrvtrails.com/
AdirondackJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
We had a Heartland TT and decided to go with a Northwood product. Our Heartland was for the most part never had any issues that needed to be fixed under warranty. But there were some things that we didn't like. It towed like %%% and overall the construction was average. It was 2-1/2 years old and had some wavy spots on the front. Had some issues with the cabinet hardware coming apart. We never had any water leaks, no appliances quit working and everything worked from day one until we traded it.

We ended up going with a Northwood Fox Mountain. The overall build is better. Plus Northwood makes their own frames, not Lippert. Northwood also make Artic Fox 5'ers which are nicer than ours. But for the money we felt the Fox Mountain had more standard features than some of the other brands. Our Heartland dealer went out of business shortly after we bought it so dealer support was gone. Never needed it though. Heartland sells a lot of 5th wheels so they must be doing something right.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:31 AM   #7
Texas Boomers Club
We have had three Heartlands, two Bighorns and now a Landmark and loved each of them. We moved up in size with each new trailer and lived full time in the last Bighorn and now the Landmark.

Dealer service has been good but the support from the factory is outstanding. One of the best features is the Heartland Owners forum, which allows you to speak with other owners and exchange information with them. It is common for brand managers to assist and answer questions with people on the forum. The club allows you to attend rallies for free, that are the most fun I've ever had.
2011 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon
JayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
I recently traded my cedar creek 5er for a bighorn 3185 model year 2013.where it's still under warranty, we are having problems with cabinets doors coming unglued.door hinges breaking and replaced 2 water pumps and the converter. windows sticking that are impossible to open . Heartland has been good for replacement but I wonder where was the QA when this thing was built. My outside 110V outlet doesn,t work and they say the wire goes (nowhere). So I will continue to get work done until it's complete. PS My 6 point level up works really well. I don't remember my cedar creek having all these problems. Wayne -43
wayne-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
I have a new Cedar Creek and love it. The park we just got into for the month has a guy that totaled his Cedar Creek and he bought a new Landmark and he says he regrets it and has had a lot of problems and it has been in service a lot. If you want I can get his email so you can contact him?
life2short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I bought a Heartland product because they had the only toy hauler on the market with a King size bed, at the time. I looked at about every brand available and their floorplans and design suited us best. So far, all my issues have been product related, ATS, water heater, and a faulty dealer repair. I know there are units out there that are of higher quality, but they come at a much higher price (100K+). It seems like they all use the same products and components and they all have problems. I just think HL stands behind theirs better than most. The Heartland Owner's Forum is a major asset.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
Thanks for all the input!! Very much appreciated!!
2012 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, crew cab, short bed, Cummins 6.7L/6 speed auto/3.73's
2012 Arctic Fox 22GQ
SlyFox50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #12
Originally Posted by SlyFox50 View Post
Thanks for all the input!! Very much appreciated!!
We bought a Big country by HL 4 years ago and with a few minor repairs that i would have done on any new unit after delivery it has been flawless. The other 5th wheel manufactures are copying many features and delivering products that are much heavier to pull. My F250 does very well pulling our 15k lbs unit because the HLs are easier to pull with proper axle and pin weight.
We full time in the unit and are very comfortable.
I have seen a lot of worst units since and to me we are very satisfied after 4 years and 30k miles towing it north and south.
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
I have a 2011 Elkridge. I like mine
ankie3467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
No personal experience but a good friend purchased a new Heartland Landmark 5th wheel a year ago. After what he describes as a nightmare of failed warranty repairs he's reluctantly hired an attorney and is seeking relief via the Texas Lemon Law.

Numbers is hard...
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote