Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #1

heat and a/c fan

Went out this weekend camping and turned on the heat for the first time.All went well except the roof top fan comes on also,talk with other campers and they said this sounded strange.Has anyone else had this happen is it normal ? My fifth wheel is a 2013 puma 253fbs , the heat worked fine just don't know if the rooftop fan should come on and stay on ? My t stat doesn't have a fan on or auto switch it's a dometic tsat with fan heat and cool buttons with temp.Any help would be great its under warranty but really don't want to haul it 1 1/2 hours to dealer if this is right and they couldn't tell me on the phone either.....
metalmagget is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
Community Moderator

If your roof unit is a heat pump, this would be normal. Heat pumps don't use propane, and just "run the AC in reverse" sending the hot air into the RV.

You probably have a propane furnace as well....just need to find the right setting on the thermostat to pick either one. If you are hooked to electricity, and the outside temps are above 35F why not use the heat pump and save your propane ?

Some thermostats will automatically switch to propane furnace from heat pump, depending upon temperature.

If you can give thermostat model numbers, or a good picture, I'm sure someone will be able to give more detailed knowledge.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My bedroom "rooftop fan" has three controls on its surface. IN/OUT option, on,1,2,3, off options and a temperature dial. If the on/off switch is on but the temperature dial is in the red zone the fan will stay off until the ceiling temp reaches that set point. Rough dial going from blue to red so no precise measurement. It is independent from the furnace and will come on with any heat source when the room temp is raised enough.

Can't tell from your description but I believe some heatstrip and or heatpump combination airconditioners will come on to assist the furnace until the room temp approaches the thermostat setting. Good luck.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #4

furnace a/c fan

My unit is not a heat pump,seperate furnace and rooftop a/c that's what is so confusing about it.I install hvac so I know what a heatpump is . I do not have a heatpump but that's for the advice....
Old 09-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #5

here more info on furnace a/c problem

heres some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1241.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	106803   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1242.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	106804  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1243.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	106805  
Old 09-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #6

I hope get this right.
Turn on heater, if "a/c fan" comes on don't worry about it right now.
You should have a temperature reading for the "furnace".
Push the "-" button until heater shuts off. If the "a/c fan" is still on, push mode button to "off" and wait for fan to shut off. To reset the heater temperature, push the mode button to "furnace" making sure you do not pause at the fan, or cool position. When you get to "furnace" position, stop and push the "+", or "-" button to the desired temperature and the "furnace" fan should be the only fan running. For future reference, you have to let the "a/c" fan stop running before you try to turn on the furnace.
Hope this helps you.
Good luck.
Also there is away to reset the t-stat controls but I can't remember what buttons to push.
indnavyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:54 PM   #7
Commercial Member

The Fan modes on your thermostat control the Air Conditioner Fan. If on Low or High, the Air Conditioner fan will run all the time regardless of heat or cool modes. Just set the Fan mode to Auto and it will,only run when the compressor runs. In other words not when heating.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 09-13-2015, 06:21 PM   #8

furnace a/c fan

Ok i'll get it a try, I didnt get any info on the t stat or the a/c unit so I didn't know about auto on the fan. Ill try that soon and see,thanks for all the replies .
Old 09-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
The Fan modes on your thermostat control the Air Conditioner Fan. If on Low or High, the Air Conditioner fan will run all the time regardless of heat or cool modes. Just set the Fan mode to Auto and it will,only run when the compressor runs. In other words not when heating.

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC

X2, set the fan to auto on the thermostat and the A/C fan will go off.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:22 PM   #10

furnace a/c fan

Setting it to auto took care of it.The t stat is the only piece that did not come with a instruction manual,so with everyones help ,I now know how to set it ,Thanks again everyone who helped and or replied to this..........
Old 09-15-2015, 06:44 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmagget View Post
Setting it to auto took care of it.The t stat is the only piece that did not come with a instruction manual,so with everyones help ,I now know how to set it ,Thanks again everyone who helped and or replied to this..........

Most all manuals are online. Just Google search the make/model. Glad you got it.

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 09-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #12

The reason it comes on is for white noise so people don't hear the cycling of the heat pump off and on . Made sense to me
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, heat