Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2005, 11:20 AM   #1

Last year I bought a Paradise Pointe PF32RL from Cross Roads RV. I have had problems with the central heating systems whereas if it is warm at the back of the unit you freeze up front and vice-versa. That's when I close the registers at either end. My dealer tells me that this is normal in a Fiver that is over 30 feet and that all other makes have the same problem. With a 35,000 BTU Suberban Furnace, it seems to me that this should not be a problem. Please help me with suggestions from the Pro's. I cannot spend another summer like the one I spent last year. Cross Roads are no help since they say that the problem cannot be solved.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2005, 11:20 AM   #2

Last year I bought a Paradise Pointe PF32RL from Cross Roads RV. I have had problems with the central heating systems whereas if it is warm at the back of the unit you freeze up front and vice-versa. That's when I close the registers at either end. My dealer tells me that this is normal in a Fiver that is over 30 feet and that all other makes have the same problem. With a 35,000 BTU Suberban Furnace, it seems to me that this should not be a problem. Please help me with suggestions from the Pro's. I cannot spend another summer like the one I spent last year. Cross Roads are no help since they say that the problem cannot be solved.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:48 AM   #3

You are right, this is not normal, however it is common. If you can't balance the air flow the dealer should be able to. The type and location of the thermostat can add to the problem. Do a search on the forum for Hunter thermostats and consider making the change, it will help with the big temperature swings.

Mustang convertable toad
Matt Cassels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #4

To explain further Matt, I don't think it is a problem caused by the thermostat. It is rather a problem of air flow. If I want some heat in the bedroom, I have to close the register in the back which causes cold temperature in the living room. The thermostat itself in right in front of the door which is located in the center of the unit.
Thanks for your help.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:58 PM   #5

Claude,
Yours is definately an odd situation. I have a 34 foot fiver and dont have that problem. If the AC is turned on the entire unit gets cold. If the heater is turned on, same thing. Both will heat or cool evenly. Definately get that checked out. I dont buy off on the dealers explanation either. Maybe contact a different dealer and see what they say. Good luck.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 05:35 PM   #6

Why not get some small fans to stir the air in the trailer. We use the 1500 ceramic heaters year round. In the summer in the day to move the air around the trailer. In the night we run them create some noise to mask outside noise. Then in winter we use the heat portion to help the furnace run less. You are paying for the elec anyway.
Jay
Old 02-18-2005, 07:57 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by baddwalk:
Claude,
Yours is definately an odd situation. I have a 34 foot fiver and dont have that problem. If the AC is turned on the entire unit gets cold. If the heater is turned on, same thing. Both will heat or cool evenly. Definately get that checked out. I dont buy off on the dealers explanation either. Maybe contact a different dealer and see what they say. Good luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is exactly my point Don. The heat should travel evenly throughout the trailer. To answer your question, I cannot go to a different dealer since mine is the only dealer around that sells Cross Roads. I cannot even reach the company. I have written several e-mails to no avail. What does one do to get some service when the unit is bought?????
Old 02-18-2005, 09:46 PM   #8

......I am betting on air movement-typical if fan is sized wrong.....make sure teh squirrl cage is clean and the fan is on high for A/C and Low for Heating....move a small portable fan around to move the air....geof kaye
Old 02-19-2005, 06:05 AM   #9

Claude, the manufacturer has a phone number listed on their web site, give them a call.
There is also an owners forum on their web site where you might get some help.
Don't give up!

Mustang convertable toad
Matt Cassels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:02 AM   #10

Claude,
I definately see your problem with that being the only dealer anywhere near you. You can contact Crossroads yourself and ask them. You will probably turn blue before they reply by e-mail. If all else fails, tow your trailer to the dealer and drop it in his service center front door. Tell them you will not pick it up until they look at it. Again good luck.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 07:50 PM   #11

Hey! Guys! I've just received an email back from Cross Roads RV telling me that their service manager is on vacation and that he should call me upon his return on the 22 Feb. I'm hoping that he will do so. I will keep you up to date on the developments on this case. Again, thanks for helping.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:42 AM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We don't have much air flow in the upper part either. I got a small electric heat for when we shower. The air conditioner is in the ceiling and it works good. I had it back at the factory last year and this was one of the problems they were suppose to fix but they did not. They told me the flexable hose was pinched off. I had took them loose and just not getting a lot of air flow from the bottom. I don't like it warm where I sleep anyway, so the electric heater works good.
Tom
Old 02-21-2005, 08:29 PM   #13

......flexible hoses slow down air you need a flexible hose that is smooth inside rather than convoluted....also get one that is insulated with foam or fiberglass material....geof kaye
Old 02-22-2005, 02:51 AM   #14

I do know CrossRoads had a problem with some of the units having the duct "knockouts" that were not "knocked out" in the furnace fall off, thus pushing a large amount of airflow out near the furance itself. I thought this was jsut on the Cruiser line, but I could be wrong.

Have faith in CrossRoads, they have been awesome to work with with any problem I have had. I would post this on the Owners Forum, and see what response you get there. CrossRoads does Monitor the forum, and adds helpful information.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote