Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2015, 06:25 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I used to have the F350 dually and pulled a Jayco Seismic toy hauler with three axels. If I remember correctly, the empty weight was around 15k. It was a very nice ride. Never had a problem pulling it.

I have since went to a class A DP and pull a toad (Prius that gets 50mpg) so once we set up, we can scoot around as much as we would like and not be concerned with fuel consumption or parking. I realize a lot of folks don't mind either, but it's a huge plus for us.

The only time I miss the truck is when I need to go to the local Home Deport and pick up 4x8 sheets of plywood. But I'm grateful to have a neighbor for that

Good luck with your choice.

Ken

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2015, 08:14 AM   #16

Heavy 5th (Luxe) and 2015 Ford F450

As others stated those weights are well within the F450 range. I'm very happy with my 2015 F450, tows very well, exhaust brake works well and I hardly use the brakes at all on descents in the mountains. I'm going to pick up a new toy hauler in a week or so and the weights are about the same as what you're looking at. Of course the RAM is great also and also more than capable. I think the pin weight is the only factor at all with any if these new DRW trucks.

Those weights you're talking about are actually pretty light for the F450. I've talked to guys who tow oil field supplies with the new F450 and they tow way more than those weights and they said it's the best truck they've towed with. There are lots of RAM's also and of course they say the same.

C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Couple items here:
Number of references to exhaust vs engine brake. Two different cats but the better cat is the engine brake. Exhaust brake just confines the exhaust. Engine brake changes the valve timing so the engine provides the braking.

Difference in towing a dual axle vs tri axle trailer. Weight requirements on the hitch are different than a dual axle. Triple axles will normallybe lighter on the pin because the weight is better balanced. Moving too much weight forward will cause the back axle to be light and the front axle to be overloaded.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Couple items here:
Number of references to exhaust vs engine brake. Two different cats but the better cat is the engine brake. Exhaust brake just confines the exhaust. Engine brake changes the valve timing so the engine provides the braking.

Difference in towing a dual axle vs tri axle trailer. Weight requirements on the hitch are different than a dual axle. Triple axles will normallybe lighter on the pin because the weight is better balanced. Moving too much weight forward will cause the back axle to be light and the front axle to be overloaded.
I don't think a pickup truck has enough mass to handle the braking power of real Jakes (Jakobs brakes) and therefor exhaust brakes are sufficient
Old 09-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #19

I have done a fair amount of research on late model (2011 or newer) Ford trucks. The weight capacities for the F350 DRW and F450 DRW are very similar. Either one is MORE than enough truck for this 5er. The SRW models ARE NOT enough truck. You will be fine with either DRW model. With Fords, I suggest you go with the 2011 or newer models. They introduced their new 6.7L Diesel in 2011. This diesel is more powerful and more reliable than older models..
grashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:55 AM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
Another reason to chose truck/5th wheel combo is mechanical failure in your drive train. Truck breakers down the truck goes to the shop, camper goes to the campground.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #21

As stated above the F450 and F350 max tow has about the same in tow capacity. Personally, if getting the F350 I'd get the one with max tow capacity which also has the wide track front end like the F450. The drawback of either of these trucks is the 4.3 gearing if you use it as a daily driver. Towing is great but you'll lose some mpg when not towing unless you drive around 65 mph, above that and mpg goes down significantly.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #22

Last April we made the change from a 40ft 5th wheel being pulled by a F350 4x4 dually to a 43 ft tag axle Entegra. They each have their strengths but as far as ride and safety goes......the DP wins hands down.

I love pulling trailers (I drove big trucks for 20 years) and I spent the money to set the truck up right. I had the best hitch made, full air ride on the truck front and rear with a system made by "Keldermen". Although I never minded parking the dually, it has became clearer to me how much easier it is to navigate unknown towns with a smaller vehicle.

I now have a 2015 chevy Z71 crew cab that that we use as a toad and we don't know it's behind us. With the "airforce 1" air brake system, the chevy now has air actuated brakes as well. The way that the Entegra is built and the way that the company treats it's customers is amazing.

I still miss my old dually though
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman7 View Post
Another reason to chose truck/5th wheel combo is mechanical failure in your drive train. Truck breakers down the truck goes to the shop, camper goes to the campground.

the 5th wheel can't get there by itself
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:10 AM   #24

Funny, a F450 IS classified as a MDT...

You 5th weight seems fine for a 350/3500 but when you are doing the math, take into consideration the weight transference when braking hard that will happen with a 5th wheel.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Funny, a F450 IS classified as a MDT...

You 5th weight seems fine for a 350/3500 but when you are doing the math, take into consideration the weight transference when braking hard that will happen with a 5th wheel.

Is it really? Today we're going to go test drive a 1 ton dually. I've SAID I could live with one on a daily basis. I better see if that's really true. There are no F450's in our area. But there's a Chevy 3500 Dually nearby. There are also some F350's Diesel's around but only single wheel. See how this goes.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #26

I have both a RAM and a MDT. Both will fit in the same parking spot but are quite different. The funny thing is that the MDT cost less to maintain but I don't think I would want it as my daily 365 day driver...but for the long haul, and we will be doing that within a couple of years, it is heads above the pick up in so many ways that we will live with the minor inconvenience.

The hunt is half the fun then making it yours after the purchase is enjoyable as well..

Good luck....

grassy...
Old 09-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
I have both a RAM and a MDT. Both will fit in the same parking spot but are quite different. The funny thing is that the MDT cost less to maintain but I don't think I would want it as my daily 365 day driver...but for the long haul, and we will be doing that within a couple of years, it is heads above the pick up in so many ways that we will live with the minor inconvenience.

The hunt is half the fun then making it yours after the purchase is enjoyable as well..

Good luck....

grassy...
Please how the MDT you mention is less expensive to maintain than a RAM?

My 15 RAM Cummins Dually IMHO is cheap to maintain IMHO. Using OE FleetGuard/Mopar filters.

FleetGuard air Filter $27.95

FleetGuard Stratapore Oil Filter $13.95

Mopar Fuel Filter NanoNet $62.95

Mopar Fuel/Water Separator $62.95

Change all above at 15K plus 12 quarts your choice oil.

Mopar trans filter $36.95

Change above at 30K with fluid of your choice 18qts +-
Old 09-08-2015, 06:57 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Please how the MDT you mention is less expensive to maintain than a RAM?
To start, change a front wheel bearing yet ? Or anything that the big three has decided to attach to the truck as a "assembly" vs a "part"....

Parts are so crammed on ...and this isn't my first RAM (and I have friends that have the other Big 2) that the labor charges way exceed the cost of the parts.. think of the ford diesel (cannot remember year/model) that has to have it cab pulled off to do some engine work..

and I can go on..

The bigger trucks are built tougher and are easier to work on..no assemblies..a bearing is a bearing..look at the rig I am pulling...do I need a mdt ?

However, what sold me was the visibility from the cab, absolute comfort of the seat and sitting position (I suffer from a sever back injury in an auto accident), maneuverability, range, the absolute ease hauling with equivalent fuel mileage and the ability to move up rig size if the DW wants to without me having to think about changing TVs.. ..and the initial cost of the truck vs the new RAM 3500 I wanted.

A MDT is not for everybody....but it fits with our lifestyle what we want to do in the future..

Tags
ford