Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2015, 03:25 PM   #57

You can put a lot of diesel in that dually with the price differences of the 2 setups
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2015, 07:49 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Plan on adding air bags since your rear will be sitting LOW.

I hope Ford does the same as RAM and adds rear air as an option on the redesigned 2017 trucks. My F450 doesn't squat much with our new toy hauler but my guess the F350 DRW might need them. Factory air is the way to go, aftermarket air bags can be a pain. A friend had some installed and they messed something up and he had to take them off while traveling. I still think mine were installed wrong on my F250 also.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #59

Maybe I just got lucky, but I installed the bags on my truck and thought it was pretty easy. Difficult to imagine a reputable shop screwing it up. Well, maybe not...
Old 12-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #60

A lot of Ford users out here, so I want to sate some FACTS. When looking at trucks, I feel RAM has the best proven diesel engine... the Cummins. That pared with the Aisin transmission is sweet. They have a heavy duty frame and a towing capacity of 31,200 lbs. The specification that RAM distributes are ALL based on UPDATED ANSI STANDARDS!! Ford and Chevrolet specification are NOT based on the UPDATED ANSI STANDARDS. They are still using the OLD ANSI STANDARDS!... This is just plain wrong! Just pointing out the facts!
Maverick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
In reading the thread many are pointing out towing capacity as a measure of the truck capability. Towing capacity is or can be misleading as it does not take into account many of the options that are installed on a commonly purchased vehicle.

The correct way to figure the capacity out is to take the GCVW and subtract the weight of the truck fully loaded with fuel, passenger and furniture (firewood, toolbox, etc). Then if you add the weight of the hitch and pin weight you are good to go if you do not exceed the GVWR or GAWR for the truck (as per manufacturer notes in their spec sheets).
Old 12-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
I hope Ford does the same as RAM and adds rear air as an option on the redesigned 2017 trucks. My F450 doesn't squat much with our new toy hauler but my guess the F350 DRW might need them. Factory air is the way to go, aftermarket air bags can be a pain. A friend had some installed and they messed something up and he had to take them off while traveling. I still think mine were installed wrong on my F250 also.
It really is a great option! It is worth the $1,300 for sure. I added a PacBrake air bag system on my 11 RAM Dually it had the bags with in cab controls an onboard air compressor a air chuck under the hood and air horns. I am sure I spent well over $1,300 for that system. I do miss the air horns! I like the lower sitting stance like the F350/450 trucks have with the rear air. Truck sits the same loaded or unloaded.

Compare the unloaded pic with Alt ride ht selected to pic on same setting with 5,500# pin and rear axle weighing 9,580#. The ride quality loaded or unloaded is really good.

Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick50 View Post
A lot of Ford users out here, so I want to sate some FACTS. When looking at trucks, I feel RAM has the best proven diesel engine... the Cummins. That pared with the Aisin transmission is sweet. They have a heavy duty frame and a towing capacity of 31,200 lbs. The specification that RAM distributes are ALL based on UPDATED ANSI STANDARDS!! Ford and Chevrolet specification are NOT based on the UPDATED ANSI STANDARDS. They are still using the OLD ANSI STANDARDS!... This is just plain wrong! Just pointing out the facts!
Engine is fine. Tranny still up in the air. The rest of it is a throwaway. How many 10 year old dodges you a see on the road
Old 12-16-2015, 06:09 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been full timing for 2.5 years and by far, we see more Ford diesels in the camp grounds as the #1 puller. Next comes Dodge Ram and the fewest seen are the Chevy Duramax.

The new 6.7L Powerstroke is proving to be a very good engine since it was introduced in 2011.

You can order the F350 with a high capacity towing package and you get a 4.30 axle and the wider F450 front end. It has a higher payload capacity than the F450.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:25 PM   #65

I just get my Spring shop add the required spring plies.
No adding or removing air and the springs last much longer.
They ride as well loaded and unloaded if done properly.
Done it on 3rd truck now and the Ford was the one requiring the most. And it rides best.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
It really is a great option! It is worth the $1,300 for sure. I added a PacBrake air bag system on my 11 RAM Dually it had the bags with in cab controls an onboard air compressor a air chuck under the hood and air horns. I am sure I spent well over $1,300 for that system. I do miss the air horns! I like the lower sitting stance like the F350/450 trucks have with the rear air. Truck sits the same loaded or unloaded.

Compare the unloaded pic with Alt ride ht selected to pic on same setting with 5,500# pin and rear axle weighing 9,580#. The ride quality loaded or unloaded is really good.

Air would be good for our 450. For empty ride. The trailer settles the back end about 1.5 inches.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:53 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane wood View Post
Engine is fine. Tranny still up in the air. The rest of it is a throwaway. How many 10 year old dodges you a see on the road
This one only has about 400K on it now. Truck has been excellent and is rock solid. I owned it from 01-113 and sold it to my Son.

Take a look at used truck values with a Diesel. RAM trucks are selling at very high prices. It ain't just the engine.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We have been full timing for 2.5 years and by far, we see more Ford diesels in the camp grounds as the #1 puller. Next comes Dodge Ram and the fewest seen are the Chevy Duramax.

The new 6.7L Powerstroke is proving to be a very good engine since it was introduced in 2011.

You can order the F350 with a high capacity towing package and you get a 4.30 axle and the wider F450 front end. It has a higher payload capacity than the F450.

Ken
On the west Coast I see mostly GM and RAM trucks with Ford behind. Weekend Warrior campgrounds Ford is way ahead, hey who wouldn't want a "PowerStroke" ?
Old 12-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane wood View Post
Would a 20 year old Dodge count? My son owns three diesel vehicles and I own two. He has a 1996, 2500 12V Dodge, a 2006, 2500 5.9L Dodge and a 2012 VW TDI Golf his work car. I have a 2008, 6.7L Dodge bough new in 07 now with 93,000 miles on the OD and a 2011 VW Jetta TDI my wife's car. These are our last two vehicles. I plan on running my 08 till the OD turn over 350,000 miles, I may sell it than. And the VW will last for 20 + years also.

The reason you cannot tell is that most 2nd gen trucks and 3rd gen trucks look very similar through their build years. My 08 looks just like my sons 06 truck except for the paint color, to any non-Dodge owner. Especially a ford guy because the truck doesn't scream supper duty all over the truck just to tell you it is a tough truck. And what is a Denali, isn't this a national park in AK?

Jim
Old 12-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #70

Here is another POS 12V RAM with 345K on it that I now own. I would hop in it and drive across the USA without hesitation.

Tags
ford