Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #15

DJNCJ is "partially correct." The "standard" Silverdao 1500 has tires, suspension, etc. is designed, engineered, and marketed more or less for a passenger "comfort" ride with truck features. However, "upping the ante" with better tires (i.e. BF Goodrick KO-2's 8 ply, Air Ryde bags, better brakes, etc - the "numbers" change upward, as many of these items are on a HD (i.e. 2500) version (no bags but heaver springs instead, but the same results).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2016, 09:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Master View Post
DJNCJ is "partially correct." The "standard" Silverdao 1500 has tires, suspension, etc. is designed, engineered, and marketed more or less for a passenger "comfort" ride with truck features. However, "upping the ante" with better tires (i.e. BF Goodrick KO-2's 8 ply, Air Ryde bags, better brakes, etc - the "numbers" change upward, as many of these items are on a HD (i.e. 2500) version (no bags but heaver springs instead, but the same results).
"The scenerio "Skip426" describes comes to mind..."

You can address the carrying capacity concerns with air bags, tires and brakes BUT... what is done about the axles, gears, driveshaft, universal joints, transfer case, transmission and bearings?

"Upping the ante" would INCLUDE all of the above mentioned EXCLUDED items from your list.

Think... "a chain is only as strong as the weakest link" and you will begin to grasp what I and others have said.

My 2500 Suburban has a much heavier drivetrain than a 1500 Suburban along with E rated tires yet reduce the tire pressure when not in heavy use it will ride like a 1500. If I chose to load it up however, it's up to the task.

Truley "upping the ante" to carry a higher than rated 1500 payload for potentially many miles will involve far more money than upgrading to a truck built from the factory to perform the duty.

Turning a blind Eye to truth does not change the truth...

Old 06-18-2016, 12:03 AM   #17

There is another issue to consider, should you have to make an insurance claim as a result of an incident while towing you could meet with some challenges about driving an unsafe tow vehicle. Insurance companies as well as the DOT go by the trucks factory ratings not a presumed rating based on changes made to the tow vehicle.
Not sure this is the kind of risk one should consider taking.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #18

If a person knowingly and willfully exceeded the tow capacity for his vehicle. Insurance will pay for mistakes and stupidity. They will not pay for intentional bad behavior. In this case the injured party proved that it was willful and intentional. Again I'm not saying it is right that no coverage will be provided. Just trying to shed some light on this subject. Insurance is not absolute. There are many ways to be excluded from coverage. Some examples are:

1) burn your own house down intentionally. No check for you!

2) drive your car off into the water intentionally at the boat ramp. No check for you!

3) life insurance has an exclusion for suscide during the first year. Kill yourself during that time intentionally. No check for you!

The above examples are not absolute. In each case an investigation would have to occur to prove that it was intentional. In most cases that does not happen or it is just too hard to prove. Cheaper to just pay out then spend time and money to prove otherwise. That is why there is so much insurance fraud. Insurance companies are an easy mark.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:44 AM   #19

If you share the responses to the questions you posted regarding your "good friend's" towing scenerio with him and he then choses to proceed towing over weight... he then has willfully chosen to ignore the safety guidelines set forth by the manufacturer of his truck.

He/you could pretend ignorance if faced with possible insurance denial but is it really worth it? The term "penny wise and dollar foolish" comes to mind. I have had some dealing with insurance claims in my day and believe me, they will initially try to deny the most legitamate of claims. Give them an incling of willful neglect and there is no chance of coverage.

The truck in question already has suspension help added to it because in stock form it can't carry the load. That alone would suggest operator knowledge to the fact he is running too heavily.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #20

As the old saying goes:
One can only lead a horse to water not make him drink.
Think there was good information exchanged here so now it's in the hands of the truck's owner.
AMEN
Old 06-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #21

Agreed. What OP decides to do with the info he now has is his business.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #22

I have a Cougar XLite 29RLI trailer that is "Half-ton Towable". Gross on the trailer is 10k. I ended up getting a F-250 instead of the F-150 (great decision on my part). I then decided (well ok, my wife decided) after a year that she wanted a Cougar 333MKS, I think it grosses at about 13k. The dealer said, "these things are made to be towed by 3/4 Ton trucks". When I pointed out that the trailer was over the weight that the truck could safely tow, he said "whoever fills up the trailer to the max!", what a bunch of BS. The one thing that the truck dealer told me when I switched is remember, it is easy enough to get the truck and trailer moving, but, you still need to stop it! at least I have a better chance of that with the 250.

Tags
brake, brakes