Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2016, 09:01 AM   #1

Height if 13'4"

Anyone have one taller? Best advice when traveling is keep watch for clearance signs?
Fishalaska1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2016, 10:04 AM   #2

13'6" here. You gotta watch for those signs like a hawk. Unfortunately, I don't think it is the marked overhead obstacle that will get you, it will be the unmarked one. Drooping tree limbs, slack cable/phone lines, etc.

My basic rule of thumb is to avoid areas where the semi-trucks don't go, unless it is the regular approach to a big rig friendly rv park, or I've called or scouted ahead first.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
13'6" here. You gotta watch for those signs like a hawk. Unfortunately, I don't think it is the marked overhead obstacle that will get you, it will be the unmarked one. Drooping tree limbs, slack cable/phone lines, etc.

My basic rule of thumb is to avoid areas where the semi-trucks don't go, unless it is the regular approach to a big rig friendly rv park, or I've called or scouted ahead first.
Good info
Old 10-31-2016, 10:20 AM   #4

Max legal vehicle height without going into oversize rules is 13ft 6 in.

Stay on route where everything's engineered for the big trucks and you're in good shape. Get off on the side streets and be on the watch for anything and everything.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
Max legal vehicle height without going into oversize rules is 13ft 6 in.

Stay on route where everything's engineered for the big trucks and you're in good shape. Get off on the side streets and be on the watch for anything and everything.
What about Garmin navigation in the TV? Will it tell me anything about bridges and routing?
Old 10-31-2016, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishalaska1 View Post
What about Garmin navigation in the TV? Will it tell me anything about bridges and routing?
I should have taken a picture of the RR bridge across the road to my direct front with the sign that stated 12 feet, 4 inches with the Garmin GPS in the foreground telling me to drive right under that bridge . . . .and the Garmin was set to 13 feet coach height! I had to double check that after we turned around and found an alternate route . . . Bottom line, Garmin is NOT responsible if you damage your rig driving under a bridge that is too low!

There is no excuse for the mark I eyeball and situational awareness!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:22 PM   #7

Quote:
My Garmin Dezl picks up quite a bit, but it isn't perfect. As Hit the Road stated, you still need to be vigilant.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:40 PM   #8

You, as the driver are responsible for your vehicle. No electronic device can replace the human common sense and vigilance. It can help you but you must watch, up, down , around and in front.... watch be vigilant and alway be safe.

And I also have the dizl garmin I use it as one data point only.
cashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmore View Post
You, as the driver are responsible for your vehicle. No electronic device can replace the human common sense and vigilance. It can help you but you must watch, up, down , around and in front.... watch be vigilant and alway be safe.

And I also have the dizl garmin I use it as one data point only.
But we have driverless semi trucks delivering beer in America!!
Old 10-31-2016, 08:50 PM   #10

Touché
cashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:50 PM   #11

Height if 13'4"

I read road signs for all reasons.
GPS? Trust but verify
See trucks? No sweat!
May the Journey be Your Destination
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:50 PM   #12

We are 13'5" tall. I have lowered the air suspension and crept under a 13' cable TV strung across the road.
Follow the truck routes, and the campground directions off of any major roads.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:53 PM   #13

The only clearance problems I've had are 2 small roads going into rv parks..go figure
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:56 PM   #14

Quote:
When I drove truck, I never had an issue with my Garmin and it did not let me down if I followed it. I got in trouble a few times because I went right when it said go left. Having said that, I also used the Motor Carriers Atlas for truckers. They are great for on the roads. Most of all I payed attention. Now I still use both the Garmin and the map book but, my attention has let me down lately due to age.
Like other posters have said, watch out for trees and other low lying things mostly while driving off highway looking for that campground. Also use Google Earth and others like it. Enjoy!
Cholo is offline   Reply With Quote