Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2019, 11:16 PM   #1
JDT

Height Issue

On occasion we think about our next fifth wheel but height is an issue. I know they have grown taller because the trucks have gotten taller which creates a problem for us.

When we built our rv garage 15 years ago our 13 foot high door was more than we needed for our past 2 motor homes and acceptable (barely) for our current fifth wheel. Most of the newer fifth wheels are a problem. Most of the models that might interest us are listed at well over 13 feet. The only brand we have seen that is less than 13 is the Vanleigh brands, the Vilano and the Beacon. They are listed at 12', 11", which is the same as our Excel which is a tight fit. Because of the truss height in our garage making the door opening higher is not an option. Also, parking outside is also not an option in our neighborhood.

An Arctic Fox would be high on our list but they are too tall as is the Grand Design models, Cardinals, Cedar Creek, etc. Which brings me to my point. Is there any way to lower these tall fifth wheels or would that not be good for the towing dynamics?
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2019, 11:34 PM   #2

A shop I worked at in Oregon had 14’ doors and. Didn’t have a issue with clearances. Trailers have gotten taller mainly because frames/floors are higher to allow hydraulic/electric leveling systems. The floor to ceiling height hasn’t actually changed, in fact, (being 6’ 6” tall) some bedrooms are too short!

Easiest and safest way to lower the trailer would be to go apring under the axle if that’s a option, and if you have the clearances.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:41 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's a bummer when the parking space becomes a major selection factor. We have both an Excel and a small MH. We are considering getting a different small MH, but it must fit the same space. I think I'd just keep the Excel and fix it up some as needed.

Good luck...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:04 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used to think 13'6" was the minimum overpass height but it looks like 14' is the standard.
https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/geometri...lclearance.cfm
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
....Because of the truss height in our garage making the door opening higher is not an option.....?
Can you lower the garage floor?
Old 12-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmeris View Post
Can you lower the garage floor?
No that would not be possible.

I know this is not a boat forum but it was the only picture I could find of my shop/rv garage. When we first built 17 years we made a separate driveway and parking spot for the motor home next to my shop. We built off the shop a couple of years later to enclose it. Looks a little odd maybe but it is functional and sure keeps the rv looking good since it is out of the weather. I might be able to gain a half inch or so by removing a trim board on the top of door opening but that is it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180225_151620.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	268678  
Old 12-05-2019, 08:47 AM   #7

Fifth wheel manufacturers have adapted to the taller trucks and have raised the heights of their overhangs. This requires an overall height of of 13 1/2 feet to provide a stand-up front bedroom. Of course there are plenty of options for the creative sort short of cutting and digging tire grooves in your concrete floor. How about a set of smaller diameter wheels and low profile tires just for storage? A hassle for sure.

If the high point on your desired trailer is the air conditioner then maybe there are some options there. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #8

On most fivers the height is ultimately the bedroom (front) AC. At almost a foot y’all it is generally the highest point on the trailer. Perhaps ordering a coach with both ACs in the mid/rear may give you more options.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #9

Depending on the model you could replace the factory AC with a low profile AC.
https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...ach-8-ac-15000
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Depending on the model you could replace the factory AC with a low profile AC.
https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...ach-8-ac-15000
That is exactly what I had installed on the Excel. That combined with letting all the air out of my Hensley BD3 air hitch and I have about 3 inches of clearance under the door over the front a/c. The front a/c is probably the high point on most fifth wheels so maybe with a low profile unit and lowering my hitch I could make it. My problem is the starting height is higher so not sure it would be enough.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #11

We have same issues and bought a Vilano. Fits in my barn and love the unit
cassiesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:24 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
On occasion we think about our next fifth wheel but height is an issue. I know they have grown taller because the trucks have gotten taller which creates a problem for us.

When we built our rv garage 15 years ago our 13 foot high door was more than we needed for our past 2 motor homes and acceptable (barely) for our current fifth wheel. Most of the newer fifth wheels are a problem. Most of the models that might interest us are listed at well over 13 feet. The only brand we have seen that is less than 13 is the Vanleigh brands, the Vilano and the Beacon. They are listed at 12', 11", which is the same as our Excel which is a tight fit. Because of the truss height in our garage making the door opening higher is not an option. Also, parking outside is also not an option in our neighborhood.

An Arctic Fox would be high on our list but they are too tall as is the Grand Design models, Cardinals, Cedar Creek, etc. Which brings me to my point. Is there any way to lower these tall fifth wheels or would that not be good for the towing dynamics?
Can you lift the garage? Working on doing it for our sons.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #13

Quote:

If you are only using it for the once-a-year winter storage or for the occasional major repair you might consider a trailer up to 13'2", maybe 13'3" or so, lettting air out of the trailer tires to clear the shop door, then air up before parking it for several months. A durable, semi-permanent tag or warning should be affixed to the 5th wheel plate so you don't forget and rip the front of the garage down when pulling it out.

If you park it inside every other weekend it'd be a big hassle.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #14

Arctic Fox has a low profile AC as an option. Not sure if you're buying off the lot or ordering.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote