Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #1

Hello 5th'ers... Looking for experienced advise

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and looking to you more experienced folks...

Here's the situation, I currently own a TT toybox and am in the market for my first 5th.. However, I have only ever had the one trailer and it is not what I could call a quality unit by any means..

My family and I are looking for the second bedroom, possibly the 1/2 bath too. I would like at least two slides as my kids are at the age where room is essential and they usually have friends with them so quad bunks or something of the likes may be what's in order. This unit will be used for family trips, we will not be full timer's but want something that will last if taken care of properly...

So, I am looking to you guys for your opinions on what is a quality rig, which one's to look hard at and which one's to stay away from.. What you know of that may fit what I am looking for. From the research that I have already done I can say that the Elite's and those of that caliber are most likely out of the question... I am looking to stay under the 30K range and no more than 2-3 years old (if used), I am really thinking I may be able to find a higher end unit used, once I know which rig's are worth looking at and which I should stay clear of...

I guess while we are at it... Let's talk about short wheel base trucks and 5th's... I have 2 Ford Super Duty's crew cabs, both short bed trucks... Tell me about pulling a 5th with it, I know that some of the newer unit's have the cut out corner's and I am assuming that's b/c of all the swb trucks being used to pull them?? And what hitch's are recommended? Any of you guys use the offset gooseneck style??

Any and all information/comments are welcomed..

Thanks,
TBH'er
TBHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #2

Hi and welcome to the forum
You are going to see all sorts of buy this or don't buy this. Some will say you need a Medium duty truck to pull a large toy hauler and some will say they pull with a 1/2 ton truck.
So with that being said; here goes.

1. Are the fords diesel trucks? I have found through experencie that diesel trucks will pull the best do to the low end torque that the engine will generate.

2. I would recommend you look into this site that rates all types of RV's. http://www.jrconsumer.com/
It is will worth the price for their reviews. They have no ties to the manufactures and will rate them fairly.

3. I tow with a short bed truck that I pull with. It is a 2008 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7L Cummins. Most heavy tow haulers will required at least a 1 ton dually pick-up truck.

4. Most 5'ers manufactures will void your warranty if a goose neck hitch is used. Their frames are not reinforce for the stress that a goose neck hitch will put on the 5er frame.

Good Luck.

Jim W.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:43 AM   #3

You can get a "Super Glide" hitch that lets the trailer/truck distance increase by about 12" when you're in a turn of more than 16°. I installed one last week.

If looking at used trailers, inspect the floors around any slides carefully, especially if the slide isn't equipped with an awning. I mean literally get down on your knees and press the floor for "mushy" spots. If any at all appear, leave the unit immediately.

Another thing, since you want slides, is to make sure you keep the slide seals well lubed with silicone spray. Also, regular inspections of the roof can help prevent leaks. I've learned that ALL trailers leak and rot but preventive maintenance could have stopped about 90% of it.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum
You are going to see all sorts of buy this or don't buy this. Some will say you need a Medium duty truck to pull a large toy hauler and some will say they pull with a 1/2 ton truck.
So with that being said; here goes.

1. Are the fords diesel trucks? I have found through experencie that diesel trucks will pull the best do to the low end torque that the engine will generate.

2. I would recommend you look into this site that rates all types of RV's. http://www.jrconsumer.com/
It is will worth the price for their reviews. They have no ties to the manufactures and will rate them fairly.

3. I tow with a short bed truck that I pull with. It is a 2008 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7L Cummins. Most heavy tow haulers will required at least a 1 ton dually pick-up truck.

4. Most 5'ers manufactures will void your warranty if a goose neck hitch is used. Their frames are not reinforce for the stress that a goose neck hitch will put on the 5er frame.

Good Luck.

Jim W.
Jim,

Thanks for the information and input... I look forward to the day that I find "THE" one and can become a 5'er..

1.-Yes sir, both of my trucks are diesel's and the 5'ers I am looking at are in the 10K range, so I am sure that both trucks will handle the trailer...

2.-Since posting this I have bought the e-book and found the information to be very usefull.

3.- My truck is a 06'F250 4X4 that has about a 3" lift, I am concerned that may cause me some issues... Now, my wife's new truck is a 11' F350 SRW 4x4 shortbox, however her truck has the bed cover on it and I would prefer to use my truck as the tow vehicle.. So, I have some more research to do, to find out if my truck will be a good TV b/c of the ride height..

4.- After posting this, much more web searching yielded me the answer to the questions I had about the gooseneck... Even though I already have a gooseneck in my truck, I will not be going that route...
Old 07-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreen45 View Post
You can get a "Super Glide" hitch that lets the trailer/truck distance increase by about 12" when you're in a turn of more than 16°. I installed one last week.

If looking at used trailers, inspect the floors around any slides carefully, especially if the slide isn't equipped with an awning. I mean literally get down on your knees and press the floor for "mushy" spots. If any at all appear, leave the unit immediately.

Another thing, since you want slides, is to make sure you keep the slide seals well lubed with silicone spray. Also, regular inspections of the roof can help prevent leaks. I've learned that ALL trailers leak and rot but preventive maintenance could have stopped about 90% of it.
Thank you sir, for the information... The information about where to check will come in handy as I am new to 5'ers and to slides. Our current TT does not have slides, they started putting the slides in the toyboxes a year or so after we bought ours...
Old 07-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBHer View Post
1.-Yes sir, both of my trucks are diesel's and the 5'ers I am looking at are in the 10K range, so I am sure that both trucks will handle the trailer....
Is the 10K to which you refer the trailers' dry weight, GVWR or ???? It makes a BIG difference.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote