Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Before the MH, we had a 2008 Montana 3400RL, towed by a 2005 F350 Dually, King Ranch, Crew Cab, Long Bed, with the 6.0 engine. I would purchase another one without hesitation if I went back to 5th wheels and found the right one.

Has the Montana had problems? Yes, just like any other RV on the market, but the warranty and support for the Keystone products was all very good for us.

Find something you think you will enjoy. Then, join a specific forum or group that follows that line and ask questions. One such place for the Montana line is the Montana Owners Club. You will find that forum as friendly and informative as this one.

Also, member sale their used ones, and recently there have been a couple that are well within your price range and included the truck.

Happy trails.

p.s., buying used is a way to go. Most of the bugs are worked out.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #16

I just purchased a 35' 1997 Dutch Star with 32,000 miles for 13.5k. It needs a little work like seat covers and a new rug everything else is in good shape. Put over 4000 miles on it in a couple of months.

My better half loves the fact that if she gets hungry of has to use the bathroom or wants something to drink, she just gets up and walks in the back. One time she didn't feel good so she went in the back and closed the door and went to sleep with the cat.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #17

[I]Look for a 2007 to 2009 Dodge with the 6.7L Cummins. They had problems with the diesel particulate filter and exhaust during those years. But don't worry, just install a few aftermarket products. You'll need to install a DPF delete exhaust system, EGR delete and a programmer. Best part is the fuel mileage will almost double once you get rid of the exhaust gadgets/I]

Yes all this will do wonders for your mileage but could create other problems for you that you may not want. I do not like the results of the devices on my truck, but while I am a licensed Truck/Bus & Auto technician, there is a legal reason these vehicles have this stuff on them & I would not take them off. Try & improve on their performance? Yes. But remove them? I don't think so.
Before you follow this kind of advice a little research into this type of info might help you in your truck choices. JMHO.

Can I get into trouble if I disconnect any of the... — Yahoo! Autos

Reg
Old 02-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Like has been mentioned, dollar for dollar, a Montana is hard to beat, we had one for five years. However, it will take a dually to haul it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out Redwoodrv.com. They are realitively new, but very well built and nice. Good luck!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #20

My understanding is the Carriage / Carriage lite have the best warranties. Also I have heard that full timers void most warranties on 5ers.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
If you are going to opt for a fiver and truck, you may well be able to get a new truck and a lightly used fiver. Sould be able to get a 3500 dually Dodge or Chevrolet for 45000. That leaves you 25000 for a lightly used fiver, if you are not in a big rush to get it.
We looked for 6 months or so and found a great buy on our unit (see below).
If you have any friends or relitives that have an RV, tap into their circle of friends to see if anyone they know is selling their fiver soon. May even be able to get a truck and trailer, hitch and all the goodies in a package.
Happy hunting, and I know you will be able to pull this off. Maybe we'll see you down the road............
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfurey View Post
My understanding is the Carriage / Carriage lite have the best warranties.
Pretty meaningless since Carriage is now out of business.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #23

Thanks for the info I have been looking at a Carrie lite at a dealer he didn't say anything.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AloraDanin View Post
Hi All,

Need some info...hubby retiring in 17 days...and I've finally come to the realization that for our budget I just can't find a motor home that I like...so now today we've started looking at 5th Wheels and Trucks. Wow...the layouts in the 5th wheels are so much nicer.

Any suggestions about which brand is best? Which truck is best? Any information at all...as time is running out.

Our budget for truck and 5th wheel is up to $70,000.00...so we have to go used.

Thanks so much for any help
Barbara
I was really set on a TT or 5er at first. Then decided I am too lazy to do all that setup when I get somewhere. I was at a CG last November and it took both the couple about an hour to get the slides out, the jacks up, leveled, it also had reinforcement jacks under the slides, and etc. I estimated it took another 30 to 45 minutes to set up and take down, not including the considerable amount of time it took to get it backed in to the spot, about 10 minutes....I was glad at that point I had a MH with slides and levelers.

I really do like the portability of the pickup or drive unit with a TT or 5er though, that has the MH beat, except if you have a towed unit with the MH.

I saw a lot of fantastic looking floor plans and motorhomes under your 70,000 ceiling that would be worth looking at.

BUT if you are set on a 5er, my dear friend's son has a TRAVEL SUPREME. It was the biggest most luxurious 5er I have ever seen. I think TS went out of business, but their coaches seem to be in great demand still. I believe they paid around 25,000 as it was used, but it was HUGE and made my little class A look like an ant hill. They also have three boys growing up so it worked well for them.

That's my two cents worth !

Good luck and remember, people who think they know it all really annoy those of us who do!

Kent
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #25

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I was really set on a TT or 5er at first. Then decided I am too lazy to do all that setup when I get somewhere. I was at a CG last November and it took both the couple about an hour to get the slides out, the jacks up, leveled, it also had reinforcement jacks under the slides, and etc. I estimated it took another 30 to 45 minutes to set up and take down, not including the considerable amount of time it took to get it backed in to the spot, about 10 minutes....I was glad at that point I had a MH with slides and levelers.

I really do like the portability of the pickup or drive unit with a TT or 5er though, that has the MH beat, except if you have a towed unit with the MH.

Kent
It's strange that it took them so long to set up. It takes me a few minutes to get backed in, but I am running solo, so I do not hesitate to stop and take a walk around to see where I am. I would much rather spend an extra few minutes being sure tha to back into a tree or power point.

I timed the last time I broke down and packed up, and was less than 25 minutes, working alone, to go from living comfortably to ready to roll.

My point is, if a 5th wheel will give you the comfort that you want, don't be afraid of taking a good look at them. I love mine, and the flexibility it gives me. Of course, I haul a motorcycle around as well, so the toy-hauler was a very nice option for me.

One thing to bear in mind; if you do go with a pusher, you will still be dragging the toad around, and if you don't drop it before you back into your spot, it can be a real hassle, and very difficult to maneuver. There are plusses and minuses to any set up.

I have heard folks say they don't want to rumble into a nice restaurant or the grocery store with a dually, but mostly I have not had any issues with that. You can find yourself in some narrow streets sometimes, in small towns and such where it would be a bit easier to get around with a wee Jeep or Impala than the dually, but you get used to the training wheels. I wouldn't trade back to a conventional vehicle now.

Good luck with your hunt, and your eventual choice.
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
I have had both an Alpenlite and now a Montana. The Alpenlite is a very solid rig and the fit and finish is second to none. It is definitly an RV for fulltiming but that also makes a lil on the heavy side. It is also an orphan so you have to consider that, but there is a dealer in Ca. that bought up a bunch of Western RV stock and has been doing repairs on Alpenlites. The Montana we have now has no where near the finish of an Alpenlite but then too it is not just a "camper" either. For the money it is a nice 5er and lots of folks full time in them.
steelpony555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DpDave View Post
It's strange that it took them so long to set up. It takes me a few minutes to get backed in, but I am running solo, so I do not hesitate to stop and take a walk around to see where I am. I would much rather spend an extra few minutes being sure tha to back into a tree or power point.

I timed the last time I broke down and packed up, and was less than 25 minutes, working alone, to go from living comfortably to ready to roll.
You know, I think now it was their 2nd or 3rd trip out, that's why it took them so long....I know it can be done a lot faster.....
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #28

Take a look at these sites:
Blue Bird Wanderlodge and Motor Coach Brokering Service
Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes
Pre-owned RV sales, Service ,Parts & Consignments Motorhomes of Texas

There are plenty of diesel pushers out there for that money. Our budget is $50,000 for the coach, toad, and a reserve. I could do it right this minute if I had to. Remember that you don't have to buy everything new. In fact, as you look at the sites I listed above, you will see that some of the coaches are 20+ years old. That isn't an issue if you are looking at a coach that a) was a high quality one when new, and b) was well maintained over the years.

Remember, too, that cash is king. Not that it is all that practical, but I suspect that if you walked into a dealership with 50 $1000 bills, put them on the table, and said "I want to buy that coach over there, the one that says $100,000 on the windshield. Here's the full payment for it. Where are the keys?" They would have a sales contract done before you had finished the first cup of coffee.

NO, I don't recommend walking around with $50,000 cash in your pocket, since that might attract the wrong kind of attention, but you get the idea. Cash is king, even though the financing is where the dealer makes his money.

kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote