Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #43
My two cents- I had a 1994 Winnebago Adventurer and now have a 2002 Sunnybrook fifthwheel. We bought the fifthwheel so we did not have that extra engine to repair and maintain, so we had a vehicle when touristing without towing a vehicle behind a motorhome. IF the truck(we have a 2003 Chevy Diesel Duramax 2500HD and LOVE it. I bought the fiver and truck used, both 1 year old. I would say Sunnybrook 2000 to 2004 can be bought for 13,000 or so and have a great unit, a Newmar is great, higher end of Cedar Creek, Carriage all great, so is Montana and there are more that the name escapes me right now. I do know of a GREAT Winnebago(great company and product) 2008 Voyage 33 ft long with lots of upgrades and they are asking $70,000 and maybe take less and 16,000 miles on her, WELL CARED for rig. I actually thought of buying it because I think it is a great rig for a great price but decided that I love the fiver I have and there is more room in a fiver than a MH, and if it needs repair it usually can wait til you get home instead of having to turn it into dealer and have not place to live while it is being fixed. There are advantages of a MH, you can get up and go use the bathroom while the other person drives, you can make lunch while it is being driven and if you stop for the night you do not have to get out to just sleep and not hook up etc. Safer for woman traveling alone most especially. Dry camping for overnight can be done without leaving the rig.

Sandie115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #44
Originally Posted by majorloser View Post
Look for a 2007 to 2009 Dodge with the 6.7L Cummins. They had problems with the diesel particulate filter and exhaust during those years. But don't worry, just install a few aftermarket products. You'll need to install a DPF delete exhaust system, EGR delete and a programmer. Best part is the fuel mileage will almost double once you get rid of the exhaust gadgets.
I agree, searched long and hard for a truck and decided to go with the Dodge Cummins Diesel. Dodge did it right when they teamed up with this engine. The truck will fall apart long before the motor goes. The 6.7 has a nice six speed automatic if you do not want a manual transmission. I would prefer a manual, but I do not know your taste. The mileage is awesome on these trucks. And boy can they pull.
My budget limited me from going with the 6.7 L I had to settle for a 06 5.9L 4 speed automatic, but it will pull my 32 ft. 5th wheel with no problems as long as I keep the NCC at a thousand lbs. In a few years I am definitely going with a Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L short bed manual.
By the way I get 24 mpg on the highway when not pulling the rig. Amazing mileage for the size of these trucks. Can't beat these Dodge Diesels. This is only my opinion as I am sure people who have other diesel trucks in here have just as good a vehicle.

As far as the trailer goes, take all the suggestions your are getting. These people in here know their 5th wheel choices.

first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #45
Well there is NO way you will get 24MPG with a 2010 & up Dodge Ram 6.7. So you better keep that Dodge you currently have.

38ft Snowvilla. Triple Glides. 2010 Ram 3500 CC Dually. to tow anywhere, anytime.
!!!!!! "RETIRED" !!!!!!.
Arctic Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #46
i have a open range 5th wheel 2010 it is a 399BHS it is great for the weekend with all the grand kids, it has the bunks in the back 5 slide outs pull with a 2006 silverado with a duramax and 5 speed allison, there is nothing greater. We are well pleased with the the open range
misterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #47
I have fulltimed in both a Montana and Everest, made by Keystone, for a total of four years between the two. Never again though! They are not designed for fulltiming and will not last. If your intention is to fulltime, buy a nice, used rig that will hold up to fulltime use. Some folks have already mentioned great fulltime rigs, but add Excel to your list. They make a quality product designed for fulltiming and unlike other manufacturers they are still in business. They have a fantastic warranty, although that may be a moot point since you are looking to buy used. Their customer service, from what I have experienced, is top notch.

As far as trucks, I towed my Montana with a 2005 Ram CTD and loved the truck. With the Everest I had a 2006 Ford 6.0L PSD. While I didn't have any problems with the 6.0L, I opted to ditch it at 75,000 miles before any of the common problems could arise. I bought a 2012 GMC Sierra Duramax. Of the three trucks, the GMC is by far my favorite. Since you are looking to buy used, I concur with many other suggestions to buy a Ram CTD or Chevy/GMC Duramax. Highly recommend staying away from the Ford 6.0L as well as their 6.4L, which wasn't much better than the 6.0L. The Ford 7.3L is a great motor though. Also highly recommend getting more truck than you need - buy a dually. You will be much happier in the long run. Duallies are safer and more stable when pulling.

Good luck!

2012 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW 4x4 Duramax
2012 Excel Wild Cargo 41GKE
TEAMTJ is offline   Reply With Quote