Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #29
Senior Dude
 
Dogpatch's Avatar


 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere, BC.
Posts: 5,584
Blog Entries: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
"The 2016 year model has stepped up from the previous years and I'm told by many that it is the highest SRW towing truck on the market"

See below. RAM has a higher towing and MUCH higher payload. Also these specs are SAE J2708 compliant. The Ford 250/350's are not compliant but the 450 is.
The Ford F350 didn't make the cut. It was too long to fit in my garage.
I have a 2015 Dodge 3500 Laramie in my driveway I'm test driving and I love it! The fit and finish is nicer than the F350.
And you are correct....the towing and payload of the Ram 3500 far exceeds the Ford!

So...based on the 2010 Cardinal with the Ram 3500, I'm under allowable loaded towing weight by 1100 lbs and 1700 lbs under the allowable pin weight.

Am I good?
__________________

__________________
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #30
Senior Dude
 
Dogpatch's Avatar


 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere, BC.
Posts: 5,584
Blog Entries: 8
Oh....I forgot to mention, the Open Range didn't make the cut either.
We found that although the one we looked at was in mint condition and well cared for, the quality wasn't the same as the Cardinal.

I'm finding, in an effort to make these things as light as possible, manufacturers are sacrificing quality by using lighter, thinner materials and I found the walls and floors too spongy in the Open Range. We also didn't like the fact that the bedroom slide cut off the access to the bedroom with the slide in. Not convenient for a pit stop while traveling!
__________________

__________________
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:02 AM   #31
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
The Ford F350 didn't make the cut. It was too long to fit in my garage.
I have a 2015 Dodge 3500 Laramie in my driveway I'm test driving and I love it! The fit and finish is nicer than the F350.
And you are correct....the towing and payload of the Ram 3500 far exceeds the Ford!

So...based on the 2010 Cardinal with the Ram 3500, I'm under allowable loaded towing weight by 1100 lbs and 1400 lbs under the allowable pin weight.

Am I good?
Get er done!

Be prepared to have a goofy grin stuck to your face!

Cardinal would have been my choice for sure, two different animals.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #32
Senior Dude
 
Dogpatch's Avatar


 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere, BC.
Posts: 5,584
Blog Entries: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Get er done!

Be prepared to have a goofy grin stuck to your face!

Cardinal would have been my choice for sure, two different animals.
The 2015 Ram 3500 4x4 is a short box SRW.

Am I still good?

The truck is my daily driver and a "Dually" is out of the question.
__________________
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:03 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
jacknife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 704
I have the same truck only a 14 , l put a set of airlift 5000 on set at 35 lb the bumps are a little less jarring. Smoother lMHO. I usually run the rears at 55-60 empty and max when hooked up. Makes for a much better ride when empty.Trl is about 13500 loaded 37 1/2 ft long. Been out traveling for the last six wks over 5000 miles with this set up. Should work for you if the wts are within man specs. If you buy it check out the Cardinal club website. I am a member ansd a lot of food info . Joining is free and we have fun rallies great people.
__________________
jacknife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
jimcumminsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oswego IL
Posts: 1,257
Yes you are. I would also look at the Ram body builder.com website. This will provide information on towing with the SRW truck.

I am towing a Cedar Creek 34RL with a SRW 2500 Ram Mega Cab with no stability issues. I am using non- standard size tires, LT 285/70R 17, 126R tires. These are a 10 ply tire with a load capacity of 3500+lbs at 80 psi. But I only need to run them at 70 psi for a load capacity of 3450 lbs. I am very comfortable towing this trailer with my truck.

Jim W
__________________
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
The 2015 Ram 3500 4x4 is a short box SRW.

Am I still good?

The truck is my daily driver and a "Dually" is out of the question.
You are on the upper end but should be fine.

"Here's the specs on the Cardinal 3450RL. Max GVWR is 15915 (including 2300lbs of added contents) and a pin weight of 2235 lbs."

Your pin will be closer to 3,200#
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #36
Senior Dude
 
Dogpatch's Avatar


 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere, BC.
Posts: 5,584
Blog Entries: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
You are on the upper end but should be fine.

"Here's the specs on the Cardinal 3450RL. Max GVWR is 15915 (including 2300lbs of added contents) and a pin weight of 2235 lbs."

Your pin will be closer to 3,200#
No washer dryer. Don't need one at this point but, should we decide I should still be okay. Payload max for the 2015 Ram3500 SRW is 3920 lbs.
__________________
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:39 PM   #37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
No washer dryer. Don't need one at this point but, should we decide I should still be okay. Payload max for the 2015 Ram3500 SRW is 3920 lbs.

We had 25% pin on our last DRV without a GEN or W/D. On this DRV with W/D and GEN we are 25% pin.

So my advice is to keep an eye on rear axle weights, they creep up fast!
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:39 AM   #38
Senior Dude
 
Dogpatch's Avatar


 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere, BC.
Posts: 5,584
Blog Entries: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Cardinal has poor (failure) design in the mechanism that attaches the slide to the slide cylinders. The brackets will bend and eventually pull out of the bottom of the slide. This issue occurs on the large slide. FR was to redesign the brackets. I haven't checked one out to see if they have.

Yes we were previous owners of 2010 Cardinal. I had to redesign our slide brackets before they pulled out of the floor.
John,

I went out and looked at all the slide brackets on the Cardinal yesterday. Everything looks solid. Nothing bent, loose or looking out of the ordinary. Previous owner said he never had an issue.
__________________
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:01 PM   #39
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
The 2015 Ram 3500 4x4 is a short box SRW.

Am I still good?

The truck is my daily driver and a "Dually" is out of the question.
As a fellow short box owner, I would suggest a Pullrite hitch. I do not have one, and although I can make most all corners traveling forward without issue, I still hate getting out and pulling a lever to slide the hitch. Not to mention the impact loads when the slide operation locks a bit harder than I would like. Not getting an auto-slider is one of my biggest regrets to date.
__________________
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:15 AM   #40
Senior Dude
 
Dogpatch's Avatar


 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere, BC.
Posts: 5,584
Blog Entries: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
I have the same truck only a 14 , l put a set of airlift 5000 on set at 35 lb the bumps are a little less jarring. Smoother lMHO. I usually run the rears at 55-60 empty and max when hooked up. Makes for a much better ride when empty.Trl is about 13500 loaded 37 1/2 ft long. Been out traveling for the last six wks over 5000 miles with this set up. Should work for you if the wts are within man specs. If you buy it check out the Cardinal club website. I am a member ansd a lot of food info . Joining is free and we have fun rallies great people.
So a few things. One, I did join the Cardinal RV Club. My handle is the same, Dogpatch.

Second, the Dodge guys found me a different truck.

I'm dealing on the fully loaded 2015 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 with Aisin transmission, 3:73 rear end, 385 hp with 865 lbs of torque. The towing and payload went up even higher with this set up. Has auto level rear end. In box camera.
It'll have the folding tonneau cover and I'm getting them to put in the Pullrite 18K hitch.


It's a PRICY truck! But I think I'll be good to go!

Can any of you guys with similar truck comment on fuel mileage?
Towing and unloaded?
__________________
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
So a few things. One, I did join the Cardinal RV Club. My handle is the same, Dogpatch.

Second, the Dodge guys found me a different truck.

I'm dealing on the fully loaded 2015 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 with Aisin transmission, 3:73 rear end, 385 hp with 865 lbs of torque. The towing and payload went up even higher with this set up. Has auto level rear end. In box camera.
It'll have the folding tonneau cover and I'm getting them to put in the Pullrite 18K hitch.


It's a PRICY truck! But I think I'll be good to go!

Can any of you guys with similar truck comment on fuel mileage?
Towing and unloaded?
HOLD THE BUS!!!

Are you talking DRW or SRW??? The 3:73 is ONLY available with the DRW. Make sure the pucks for the hitch and get the B&W RVK3600 with either truck.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:08 PM   #42
Senior Dude
 
Dogpatch's Avatar


 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere, BC.
Posts: 5,584
Blog Entries: 8
I had a re-think on the truck and will stick with the 2015 Ram 3500 SRW SB 6.7 ltr turbo diesel 370 hp and 800 lbs-ft of torque with the 68FRE trans and 3:42 rear end.

I only pull the 5er about 5 times a year and have been assured by others this will be adequate to pull the Cardinal.
The other truck costs about $6,000 more and I think my gas mileage may suffer a bit as its my daily driver for work. Much of it being highway trips.
If I was touring around with the 5er for 6 months a year, it would be an easy decision to go with the 385 hp.
__________________

__________________
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't Open Excel 2010 File (Under Windows XP) by Double Clicking On It mateuscaetan Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 2 06-26-2015 02:47 AM
Bay Door Emergency Open Twomed Entegra Owner's Forum 2 05-20-2015 09:44 PM
Dishwasher Open Texas Jim 45 Entegra Owner's Forum 9 07-08-2014 07:06 PM
Door hold open mechanism - swing arm Holiday Rambler ballard770 Monaco Owner's Forum 3 05-04-2014 10:17 PM
Open Range to Include Wireless Rear Cameras As Option DriVer RV Industry Press 1 04-28-2014 08:11 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.