Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #43

As others have mentioned, the issue is with the andersen hitch, not the trailer or truck.

You have a long pin box arm on your trailer, which manufactures use to help witb Clarence issues on short bed trucks. The Andersen hitch moves the ball 4 inches aft, then the hitch adapter moves the pin back another 4 inches so the back of the pin box is 8 inches further back than the trailer manufacture designed for. Moving turning tha adapter 180 degrees brings you back to design setting when towing directly behind you, but brings it 4 inches closer than designed for at 90 degree turn. Whrn I had an Andersen, had the same issue. Turning the adapter around helped with the pin box clearance, but made it so I couldn't turn as sharp without hitting back of cab with trailer.

Be advised that I swithed from andersen hitch to B&W after the pin adapter bent the baseplate of my pin box. All of the pin weight is carried on the two set screws between the pin and the ball, rather than spread out over a the large surface of the base plate. Andeesen won't help you out if the hitch damages you trailer or truck. I had to replace the pin box on my own dime.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE View Post
I don't know anything about the Anderson hitches, are they not height adjustable? My Pullrite Super 5th hitch has four our five positions to choose from, each of which raises the height by an inch. I'm second from the bottom and have about 6" clearance.

Yes, Anderson Hitches ARE height adjustable... that might be helpful in this situation.
wnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paustin View Post
Everyone,

Thank you all for your input and help. I'm out of town and will be heading returning home on Thursday. I'll start trying some of these solutions this coming weekend and will let you know what happens.

I really do appreciate the community that some of your long-timers have created. It really helps. I'm not sure what I would do without it.

Pete

Thankyou for the reply...

Looking forward to an update......hopefully with an easy solution
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #46

Rotating the adapter 180 degrees is really easy. Just losen the 4 set screws and rotate. You don't have to do anthing with the two bolts coming in from the side of the adapter. Doing this should give you plenty of clearance between the back of the hitch and the tailgate and bedrails. Mine would hit those areas even with 8 inches of clearance between bottom of 5er overhange and bed rails. Only switching the adapter to effectively shorten pin box length helped.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #47

Pullright hitch is not height adjustable.....the pin box is.....only adjustment is from front to back
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:37 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Pullright hitch is not height adjustable.....the pin box is.....only adjustment is from front to back
My Pullrite most definitely is height adjustable, trust me!
MattE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #49

we have a 2015 ram 3500 mega cab short bed 4x4 and have the same problem. we are headed to Elkhart IND. in a few days to moryde to have the 2" lift put on our trailer. there are lots of blogs on this. I called moryde they say it is the way to fix it right. we have a 2016 38RSSA mobile suite. the lift is not rubber it is steel. and not sure about yours but ours has the I.S. suspension no axle to flip. I also have air lift on my truck if I carry 40lbs in the air bags it gives us 6 inches at the tail gate but the trailer isn't level it's high in the front. we'll let you know how it works out if you like.
third7js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #50

bob is right we also have a 25k pull rite no height adjustment just forward and back
third7js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:22 AM   #51

You might look at the B&W hitch. Most hitch should give you 24 to 26"
Simple but will cost a few bucks
Old 08-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE View Post
My Pullrite most definitely is height adjustable, trust me!
Post a pic, please...
Old 08-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Post a pic, please...
Here you go:

ISR Series Super 5th 16K | Fifth Wheel Hitches by PullRite

See the 2 bolts on the left side, and how there's 4 different sets of holes they can go in? Each set changes the height by about an inch.
MattE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #54

Thanks....see them....Different then a slider
Old 08-22-2017, 02:11 PM   #55

OP doesn't have a Pullrite......nor does he have a slider

He has a MorRyde Pin Box and an Anderson hitch
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:44 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by third7js View Post
we have a 2015 ram 3500 mega cab short bed 4x4 and have the same problem. we are headed to Elkhart IND. in a few days to moryde to have the 2" lift put on our trailer. there are lots of blogs on this. I called moryde they say it is the way to fix it right. we have a 2016 38RSSA mobile suite. the lift is not rubber it is steel. and not sure about yours but ours has the I.S. suspension no axle to flip. I also have air lift on my truck if I carry 40lbs in the air bags it gives us 6 inches at the tail gate but the trailer isn't level it's high in the front. we'll let you know how it works out if you like.
Should work perfect.I just bought a new m.s. 36rssb and had 2" risers installed during the build.I also run 40p.s.i. in my bags.Im sittin level,pullin with F350 4WD dually.
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote