Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
Unhappy Help....I just purchased a 2011 Mobile Suites 5th wheel!

So here is the deal. I just purchased a 2011 Mobile Suites 36KTBS for 52,500$ it was listed for 60,00 when I originally walked in this morning. I have been doing my research and this was a killer deal..4 slides, bells and whistles.

-Help part..
As i was going over my finances I saw a 2,000$ additional fee for after market xzilon (some sort of gloss to protect the trailer) then they added 10,000 for a four year extended warranty, and 1,500 for GAP insurance.
-Total out the door was 72,338$....

-The dealership didn't tell me what "xzilon" was until I was like "what is that 2,000$ extra charge". They said that the trailer will need it if I plan to keep it for a few years..!

-Then, they didn't tell me the price without the 10,000$ four year warranty!

-After all that I noticed GAP for an extra 2,000$.

-On top of all that they said tey were gonna give me SLIDE OUT COVERS for the rig for 4,000 extra but take off 1,000$ if i agreed to it right then and there.

I said no the the slide out covers!...

So here is the part where I could use some helpful advice.

Tomorrow morning I am meeting up with them to drop off the rest of my security deposit, they gave me the option to not select -Warranty, GAP, and Xzilon....

If i say no to ll options I am only looking at 57,000$ out the door!

What would you do? Is paying an extra 10,000$ for four years worth it? is 2,000$ for some extra coat worth it? Is 2,000 extra for GAP worth it?

Please shed some light. I am really happy with the deal of the trailer. I visually inspected it and everything looked perfect except for on hydraulic is leaking and they agreed to fix it!

I am active duty military, and will be living in this full time with my lovely wife.

I would appreciate all the help!

If you feel like being extremely nice and have spare time you can call me anytime to educate me =]

THANK YOU for you time!

V/r James (562)360-5480

JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Keep the $10,000 and enjoy your new home. That 2,000 coating is a rip.

Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
Thanks for the quick reply. That was kinda what I was thinking... Did you buy yours new or used? This one is used and they scared us into thinking that the repairs on 5er are necessary so often that to not get a warranty is stupid. Have you experienced constant needs to service?
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Price of 2011 RV

Don't buy anything extra. All of it is a ripoff. Just profit for the dealer. Make sure all the extras are taken off your paper work.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Alan24601 View Post
Keep the $10,000 and enjoy your new home. That 2,000 coating is a rip.
Those items are big profit items for the dealer and you don't need them, especially the "coating"
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the group. So here's the way it works - you spend the first part of the transaction in the "front of the house". Seems you did ok with them - I guess - but don't really know what the unit is worth. Then you meet the back of the house. The finance and "add on" side of the transaction. See how quickly they took back everything you saved in the front of the house and then some. Personally I would tell them no to all of it. You can get a warranty if you want one later - and you may or may not want one once you study up on them. But you really don't want to roll any of this into a note. As for the gap insurance - what gap is that covering - difference between what and what? Doesn't sound good to me. And again - why finance it. If you need it, you should be able to get it without paying a middleman. And if you need it to get a loan you might rethink the price. Don't be muscled by the back office. Anybody can be a salesman and say no to your offers and make counter offers. It takes a certain talent to sell snake oil in the back office. YMMV but that's MHO.
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
Gap is generally difference between insurance payout if stolen or totaled. In durance so you don't pay. Can be worth it depending on terms.

Finance 101: never finance a depreciating asset. It means you can't afford it. Sorry, not trying to be mean.
--Jeffrey Steinberg, Scarsdale,NY
2013 Silverado 3500 HD Crew Cab 8 foot bed, Duramax/Allison. Renting a travel trailer until I decide.
jsteinberg48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
Anything short of 30% off of list price is not a good deal. The back room items they are pushing means they think they have a sucker. Gap insurance means you are paying more than it is worth when you drive it off the lot. Run away with your money, cool down, price the same rig at dealers out of state. I found my 5r at 34% off local dealer price in the next state over.
2001 dodge 2500 auto, with billet Mojave Green torque converter with 2nd gear lockup mod, raptor 100 fuel transfer pump and gauges. RV75 injectors
94 Alpenlite 27sl with many mods.
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #9
I would not buy any of the three you can set your insured value so you won't need the gap insurance. The extended warranty is way to high to justify it if it was around 2k I would say get it. You can check Good Sams if you really want one. Fifth wheel repairs are normally small things,
life2short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #10
Hey the other thing make sure to climb on the roof and check it.
life2short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club

Get the hydraulic leak fixed, check EVERYTHING out carefully to be sure it works to your satisfaction (that's an all-day job, at least), and then and only then pay them the $57K and get out the door ASAP. If you want any of these extras, you can get them later at much better prices from other sources. The dealer is just trying to pad his profit with what he's quoting you for prices, and stuff like the coating is just a rip-off!!

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #12
My rule of thumb. Never pay for something you can not see. It is hard to do since there are so many of these things out there.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
He is "packing" the deal with high profit items. Tell the dealer, no warranty, no paint protectant, no gap insurance. Buy only the trailer and make sure it is well checked prior to signing the deal.

The dealer should include the PDI and demonstration that ALL systems are operational as normal and repair any that are not operating normal. Do not accept the trailer until it is to your satisfaction and everything is working.

When you walked in and fell in love with the trailer, he saw the stars in your eyes and must have "SUCKER" stamped on your forehead.

If he tries any more shenanigans, walk out on the deal

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
Actually there is one thing I would buy. The slide covers are a wonderful investment. First they help eliminate debris on the roofs of the slide outs. Second they help keep the sun off the slideout roofs which heli keep the interior cool in hot climates. They are a love/hate item so be prepared for more comments. Anything else the dealer wants to add is pure profit for him. I sure hope you have a big enough truck to tow that fiver with?

Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote