Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2005, 06:53 AM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Don, I think that you will find that the newer the rig the softer the caulking will be thus making the removal process a little more time consuming. I purchased my AC at PPL also. They had the best price by far! Good Luck!

04 F250 4X4
Powerstroke
05 Cardinal 5ver, Model 29WBLE

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2005, 09:25 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Don, with help and the scaffold you should not have a problem.I do think you should check the amperage at th vent. Some are wired 15amp for the addon or a fan such as fantastic. Check now not later. Wow! At $160 I would have done it myself also. Again be patient, be careful. Enjoy the cool!

Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:01 PM   #17

Whats the best way to tell what service amperage I have at the vent? There is currently a Fantastic fan in the vent but I have thought of adding another A/C if the wiring will handle it. Is there a simple way to upgrade the wiring if needed?
Old 07-14-2005, 06:17 AM   #18

The fantastic fan is 12V not 120VAC. If you are prewired for a second A/C then the jbox may have markings on it but you should have a spot in your breaker panel for a second a/c. Sometimes they even come with the breaker installed. John
2003 Dodge Crew Cab, 4X4, Ca. Cummins, Limited slip, 3.73, 48re, T-Rex nerf bars, Rhino Liner, B&W Turnover Ball, B&W Companion, Prodigy. 2005 Wildcat 29BHBP, 1987 HR Aluma-Lite XL 35', 1500W inverter, 3 solar panels, 3 furnaces, 4 Golf Cart Batteri
robertsonthego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 12:39 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
John you are correct and I mispoke. A fantastic is 12v as you said and not 115 as I implied.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:11 PM   #20

.....use an extension ladder leaning against the trailer and pull box and all up the incline.....open the box and remove the A/C...this will stop scratching and make your job easier.....I have one guy pull it up the extension ladder with a rope.....geofkaye
Old 08-08-2005, 08:36 AM   #21
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
My Son and I fimally got around to installing the new AC yesterday.

Took Geof Kayes advice and pulled unit in the box up a ladder with a rope while son pushed from below - Piece of cake. Roof of my 5ver was flat at the vent (which I had already removed along with the caulking) so sitting the AC in place was easy. Son went inside and we lined up the gasket with the vent opening. tightened up the base plate to the top unit with the 4 bolts provided which compressed the gasket as recommended in the instructions by tightening the bolts.

5ver was pre-wired with a junction box hooked to a 20 amp Breaker. Wired up the bottom unit and installed it by the instructions.

Total job took about 2 hours. All the input to this thread was a tremendous help. I felt like I had already installed it when I started the job.

It is a low profile Coleman and even on the raised front 5ver roof it is about the same height as the other AC.

Beleive it or not it actually cools the entire rig running by itself. Now if it just stays in place when I tow the trailer next time.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #22

Good to hear it went well, we won't be able to call you a hot head.
My 1989 18.5 prowler lynx I bought used is prewired for a/c, maybe I should look into putting one in.
For trips to warmer climates.
As up North here it is never too hot.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:28 PM   #23

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...it is a low profile Coleman... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
nice choice. when i've looked into it, they appear to be a bit pricier then then normal models, but boy would that be the ticket.
congrats on the install

and partsman01,
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> ...As up North here it is never too hot </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
my how things are different. I've only worn long sleeves a couple times in the past year. Please send a box of snow sometime
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:37 PM   #24
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FatDog:

nice choice. when i've looked into it, they appear to be a bit pricier then then normal models </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fatdog - Got this one on sale new in the box for a great price - cost me less than $500.00 installed and man does it work. We went camping in NE Texas this past weekend with the outside temps in the 100s,you could have hung a side of beef inside the rig with both AC's running.

It stayed on top while flying down the interstate too so I quess we got it right.