Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2005, 07:30 PM   #1
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Has anyone done their own Roof Air Install ?

I have purchased a Coleman Polar Cub to install in the front vent of my 5ver. Would appreciate any tips (other than read the instructions - I have done that twice already ) so I can do it right and avoid unforeseen pitfalls.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2005, 07:30 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Has anyone done their own Roof Air Install ?

I have purchased a Coleman Polar Cub to install in the front vent of my 5ver. Would appreciate any tips (other than read the instructions - I have done that twice already ) so I can do it right and avoid unforeseen pitfalls.

Thanks
Old 07-12-2005, 05:06 AM   #3

Hi allendp

Try this website, you will find it very helpfull,
http://www.rverscorner/discus/6/6.html?1118863467
Pioneer/Edward
Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:03 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Thanks Pioneer but the link did not work. Page could not be displayed error.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:31 AM   #5

Sorry about the bad link. Go to http://www.rverscorner.com.
Then click, rver's Discussion Form..
Then click, The True Rver's Form at top of page. It is the best Help Site on the Net. You might have to register but its free.
Pioneer/Edward
Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just yesterday, when a fellow RV'er asked for advice and input very wise man offer help by saying:

"Suggest you use the Find Tab and type in" ,,,,, "A/C"

Hope that helps.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:50 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Actually Mike, I did that long before I started the thread, but got no responses to the actual question I am seeking the answer for.

I actually didn't try "A/C". I will do that and check out the results.

Thanx.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:20 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
After taking Parthecourse's excellent advise to do a find on "A/C" I found 25 pages containing threads with "A/C". After reviewing all 25 pages, none of the topics listed addressed my question so it still stands and if anyone here has installed a roof AC before and can offer advise before I attempt to do it I would appreciate any tips that might be offered.

I know Par the course was sincere in his reply and was not just being a wiseass.

Thanks Pioneer I will give that a try.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:39 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Don,

I just installed a Coleman A/C last week when we got home fro TOW (Vanishing A/C trip).

As long as your rig is wired for the A/C, the most difficult part is getting the thing up on the roof (very heavy - 100 lbs).

It took 3 hrs to completely install the unit by myself, which I have never attempted before. It would have been better with someone to help.

We had watched RV Today and saw the installation demonstrated on TV and it looked very simple. Here are the important steps I took.

1. After removing the existing vent, it is important to clean all (or as much) of the caulking from around the vent.

2. Get the HEAVY A/C unit onto the roof (lean an extension ladder extending to the roof of the trailer which allowed the unit to rest gently against the ladder as I gently pulled it up with a rope - NOT AN EASY CHORE - GET HELP)

3. Unit comes with a rubber gasket on the bottom which is slightly larger than the 14 x 14 vent hole. Center the gasket over the 14 x 14 vent hole and sit the unit down over the vent hole.

4. Go inside the unit and install the 4 long bolts that came with the inside control unit through the metal bracket and screwed into the top unit. Apply equal tension to each bolt to ensure proper seal.

5. Hook up the wiring per instructions.

Follow the remaining instructions and turn it on and CHILL OUT!! Your not in TOW anymore!

Hope this helps, e mail if you have questions.

Larry
Old 07-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Larry

You mention a couple times - get help to lift the thing up there.

You mention carefully getting rid of all the old caulking before you lay the new rubber gasket down on the roof. Did you use a little new caulking as well with the gasket? or installed dry and just torqued down properly from the inside?

And when my second AC was installed on my last trailer, its controls (on the inside half of the unit) didn't connect to the thermostat but were just operated from the bed area. It was really nice.

The cost for the superSLIM model AC's are surprising higher then the regular size AC's.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:59 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
A few years back I self installed an ac on an old Shasta. Larry is right in that the hardest part is getting it on the roof. A few hints.. make sure you have a 20amp service at the existing vent. 15amp won't do. Get some foam pipe insulation to put on the rails of the ladder so as not to dent the driprail. Be very particular in removing the putty around the vent to allow a good seal with the foam gasket. A good seal will prevent leaks down the road. Do not use any sealant on the foam gasket.Oh, use a new gasket. If you have a rubber roof be very careful not to tear the fabric. Now,IMHO, before you start check with local rv shops for an install price. A few months ago our local shop installed an ac on the Kencraft for $50. It took him 1 1/2 hours just to get that 33 year old cauking off. Money well spent I think. If you choose a self install do as Larry said, get some help. Most important be patient, be careful. Check the wiring carefully, you don't want any electric shorts.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:14 AM   #12

Allendp, I've changed out a couple of A/Cs in the past, the last one being this past fall. I will say if you're putting it up on the front of your 5er, be sure you're aware what overall height you're going to have. If you're gonna get over 12' at the top of the A/C, you'll need to be very careful when driving (low bridges, tree limbs, phone lines, etc.)
If you're installing the A/C on the sloped part of the 5er roof, you may need someone inside tightening the mounting bolts while you're on the roof keeping the A/C from sliding downhill. Once it's clamped in place, it won't move though.
Don't be apprehensive; installing a new A/C is really a piece of cake. It's just heavy & awkward, but it's pretty simple.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:33 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
As Hoverbug mentioned it is not recomended to add sealant when inatalling the new unit. The unit that I purchased and installed came with the rubber gasket connected to the under side of the unit in place. When moving the unit be carefull not to damage the gasket. My rig came prewired for the second AC. This made the wiring of the unit itself a breeze.

04 F250 4X4
Powerstroke
05 Cardinal 5ver, Model 29WBLE
Old 07-13-2005, 05:31 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Thanks Folks,

This is exactly the information I am looking for. I picked up the unit from PPL in Houston at a very good price on sale. About $250 cheaper than CW. Hopefully since the rig is relatively new, the caulking will come off with little effort.

Larry, I plan to have my son help me and was thinking about making a scaffold about half the height of the 5ver, 2 of us lifting the unit onto it, then 2 of us getting on the scaffold and lifting it onto the top. I guess you were like me - it only took 1 trip to Tow on the 4th of July to realize we didn't have enough AC. My rig is at RV Outlet Mall in Georgetown getting the other AC repaired right now. They wanted $160 labor to install a new one so I thought I would give it a go myself. My vent came pre-wired also.

Any more tips will be appreciated.