Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2015, 12:32 AM   #1

Help me choose which of these 5th wheels to buy

I am all over the place with these, I know. But am alone and need some feedback from everyone to help me decide. I have plenty of money for each since selling my home in order to get my money out of it to spend in my last years, but obviously don't want to spend any more than is necessary to feel content and happy with whatever purchase I do make. I am going to live in it for the rest of my life, parked permanently in a Resort RV Park where you own your own lot, and use my remaining money to go on cruises, travel, and have fun. Here are a sampling of a variety of dozens of my choices:

I could go new, but would have to stick with the medium range 5th wheels like the following:
1. Winnebago-Destination
2. Forest River - Cardinal
3. Jayco Pinnacle

For even less, 40-50k, I could get a used top of the line 5th wheel like:
1. Excel - Limited
2. Teton - Frontier

For as little $30-40k, I can get a variety of like new but used ones like:
1. Nu Wa - Hitchhiker Champagne
2. Holiday Rambler - Presidential

For the price of the new ones above, I could even get a med level 5th wheel with a nice diesel P/U to pull it with like:
1. H.R Presidential + Ford 250 Diesel PU

I guess I am wondering if buying a new one with warranty and new roof, appliances, floors, etc would give me a lot more peace of mind to be worth the extra cost. Or spending the same money on a top of line used one would last longer and actually be better, more solid, and have less problems in long run than a new middle of the road one. Or would I be just as happy with a nice middle of the road one that has been kept well, leaving me with the most money to have to spend in my remaining years. Having a truck with a 5th wheel would allow me to move it if I ever had to for service or traveling in it. Although I don't see myself traveling full time pulling it behind a truck, mainly because I am all alone, elderly, and a bit tired and limited physically at this stage of my life. However, being free to move it if I had to or got tired of living in one place would be nice I suppose. I could use the P/U in place of my Cadillac. Actually the P/u would be newer than my 16 yr old Eldorado and would last me the rest of my life which I doubt the Cadi will. Getting up into and out of the truck wouldn't be as easy and comfortable as my Cadi though.
SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 03:52 AM   #2

If you are going to park it forever why not get a park model?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:04 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
helpin you choose

I have seen most of these and personally love the Forrest River Cardinal with the living room and fireplace up in the front overhead..its beautiful! And they make a great coach as do most you listed but that is a design you could easily live in..
hotseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:13 AM   #4

You get tied of walking up and down the steps real fast in a front living room. Get a used hitchhiker or Excel. Both are well built rv's.
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #5

I second the park model Idea.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #6

Park Model with a Arizona Room would be nice.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #7

Park model would be the smart move, way less than a new fiver and way more sq ft.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #8

Bob,
Have you looked at any park models already set up onsite and for sale by owners? These can be bargains if you do some research. From your own description, you probably won't move it, but if you wanted to, the pro movers could do it for you.
Figure out the area where you want to live, and spend some time looking at the permanent mobile home parks that would appeal to you. I think you will be surprised just how much home you can get that is already set up.
Best of luck in your quest.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #9

Sorry gang, park models aren't allowed in park. It is only an RV park for motor homes and 5th wheels under 10 yrs old ......no park models or trailers allowed.

So, we have to stick the choices I have listed below.
1. Go new - low to mid-range for $60-70k
2. Go high end used for $40-60k
3. Go nice mid range used for $25-40k
4. For mid range used w/ luxury low mileage diesel P/U for cost of #1.

See some examples in first post.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #10

I would go with the used excel or other top of the line. 2005 to 2008 would work. Get to know a good mobile mechanic and have them work on it. Not many units built between 2008 and 2012 with the downturn. Pay someone to move it on site. Easy peazy.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:21 PM   #11

We love our Teton. Would want anything else.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:45 PM   #12

The Teton,Excel or the HH Champ. Would be my pick these are solid built rigs.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #13

I have sort of narrowed it down to these. What do you all think regarding each of these as far as a single elder man and his little wiener dog living in full time, but not, at present, expecting to ever travel in it.

1. 2 different Excel Limited '06 year, 33' & 36' - very nice and only $30k-$40k - The 33' is really very very cute and nice, only has smaller single Fridge, but does have separate W/D. Larger one has great kitchen, bigger fridge, separate w/d, and nice bed.

2. Bigger '08 Holiday Rambler Presedential, 37' for under $30k - big type fridge, but small kitchen no bigger than the cute 33' Excel for same price. Excel is 2 yrs older.

3. Nice '36 Nu Wa HH Discover America for $23k or less - love the rear dining and kitchen areas, nice floorplan for me, lots of awning and shades, but smaller single Fridge. Does this have the quality and durability of the others though?

4. 2011 Carriage Cameo 34SB3 like new - $48k or less - has smaller single style Fridge, but very attractive, but is it made as well as the other older ones?

Much difference in brands on these 4? Which is structurally better (floors, roof, slides, walls, windows), will last 15 more yrs if left in one spot, and will give the best protection from 90-100 degree weather in summer. Which are dual pane windows or are all of them?
Old 05-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #14

I would take a chance on the newer Carriage Cameo! A great floor plan, and a quality rig.
Lostlamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel