Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

My wife and I are considering on purchasing a 5th wheel to live in. I have been doing some research and I have narrowed it down to purchasing a Double Tree Mobile Suits KTBS 36ft.

I have been to several RV dealerships- found a 2010 model listed for 59,995$

At another dealership a 2011 listed for 59,995 (but was told if I bought it right then and there he would sell for 50,000$)

I am not sure why he would sell it for 10k less if I purchased it on the spot. I am also not sure why a one year older model would sell for the same price as the newer model.

As you can see I'm all over the place. I have been trying to do as much research as possible, but I could only do so much from behind the computer.

Reason- I am currently in the Military, married with two well behaved dogs. We have lived in a 500sq ft apartment before so we know what we are kind of getting ourselves into. I am tired of paying rent on something I don't own.

Truck- I do not currently have a truck. Although I have talked with the RV park and was told I do not need a truck to live there. I will be purchasing a truck prior to my next duty location (military move).

So my questions-
From your experience would you recommend on a Mobile Suites ktbs-

What price range should I be asking for? If the sticker says 59,995 how low should I go?

Well any advice is good!

Thanks for your time.

V/r James

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #2

A DRV Mobile Suites is an excellent choice. A late model for 50k sounds like a good price. Opps, you did not buy it on the spot so ....ugh, I hate when they do that.

Anyway - it is easy to find people to haul your 5th for a cost much less than buying a truck.

I agree with the DRV and having it delivered to your RV Park site.

But remember the 5er will depreciate some. By buying used and at a good price you will dodge a lot of the depreciation but not all of it.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #3

James- you bring up several points.
1) if you are trying to escape cost by "owning," don't forget the cost of depreciation. If buying new its ~20% to roll off the lot, then 10%/year thereafter (say ~$5,000/yr in the price range you're shopping). That's on the selling price, for you to sell later you may have consignment commish, advertising, & other costs so your out the door cash cost may be higher. Insurance should be in same ballpark as renter's more or less for the trailer.
2) Every price in RV the universe is negotiable. Whatever sticker says you can make an offer, shop elsewhere, dicker till you walk away & then the sales guy comes chasing after you, etc.
3) Mobile Suites is a nice rig, one of the nicest I'd say. That & Excel would be my targets in your position.
4) takes a big-a$$ truck to move a big-a$$ trailer. those cost like crazy and take $$ to maintain. You could have a mover service move your rig when you need & not buy the truck. I have a neighbor in AZ whose Mobile Suites sets next to our lot & he's never owned a truck. Trailer has been there ~5 years now.
5) Rent- you'll need to park it somewhere w/electrical & plumbing hookups. Generally that's in a rented space. You might have better connections where you are now (free parking) but might not later. You still have utilities which may be higher for electric in a trailer due to less insulation; you'll have to mull that over.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #4

James, first and foremost, thank you for serving your country and all of us who are blessed to live here. We have also been researching and we have decided upon Mobile Suites. 38TKBS3 for us. we have three (semi) well behaved standard poodles so we need a little more space. Also have semi energetic college aged daughters who keep showing up to be fed! Due to construction I would definitely say you are making a wise choice. If we could find a used one in that price range I would definitely go for it. We are looking at 92M for a new 38. This one will have a lot of upgrades for that price. The MSRP is right at 135,000. That's a bit over 30 percent discount which is what we have been told is about what to expect. We will take a big hit in depreciation due to buying new but as of yet haven't located a used one around the southeast that is comparable. Found one that "has some scratch marks, maybe from a cat". Um. No thanks! So if you found a clean one, it should be a good purchase. Again, bless you!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I would highly recommend a clean, used DRV and wouldn't be afraid of a 2 or 3 year old DRV 5th wheel at all. These are full time RVs and stand up well. In fact, our DRV will be 9 years old this August and we're not in the market to trade for anything else - it's still in excellent condition. I've attached a picture of it that was taken at a Texas Boomers rally this weekend below just to illustrate (the pink flamingoes are another story - we got "flocked" by some other Boomers.) You can click on the photo to expand it.

Rusty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Creekmore's Rig.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	37289  
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Thanks for supporting the USA and all our fella Americans. I own a 36 foot Mobile Suite and it's a 2004 model. I purchased it in 2008 and love it. I plan on keeping this camper for another twenty years. I have made a few upgrades to my camper, like repairing the pull out draws slides and I installed the cheap heater into my gas heater. I plan to install solar on it next before the wife and I start out full timing. This camper is well built and a heavy duty unit. I pull my Mobile Suite with a 2002, F350, 4x4, Dually and it handles it good. I will be adding an exhaust brake and possibly installing some 3.73 gears in the front and rear ends. My 2001 F250 had 3.73 gears and was getting about 16 MPG pulling my camper and 18 MPG over the road empty. My 2002 F350 4x4 dually gets about 12 MPG pulling and 14 MPG empty, big difference!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw John View Post
I own a 36 foot Mobile Suite and it's a 2004 model. I purchased it in 2008 and love it. I plan on keeping this camper for another twenty years. I have made a few upgrades to my camper, like repairing the pull out draws slides....
I've changed out the plastic rear supports for the metal drawer slides as well. These were upgraded on the 2005 and up DRVs. I found much stronger drawer slide supports at either Lowes or Home Depot - none of the replacements have failed, regardless of how much weight is in the drawer.

Rusty
Old 04-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I would highly recommend a clean, used DRV and wouldn't be afraid of a 2 or 3 year old DRV 5th wheel at all. These are full time RVs and stand up well. In fact, our DRV will be 9 years old this August and we're not in the market to trade for anything else - it's still in excellent condition. I've attached a picture of it that was taken at a Texas Boomers rally this weekend below just to illustrate (the pink flamingoes are another story - we got "flocked" by some other Boomers.) You can click on the photo to expand it.

Rusty
Thx for sharing your pic Rusty! You have the same truck we do. Must mean we should buy the MS for sure!!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Rusty

I installed wood supports in mine. I went from the front to the back with 3/8 inch plywood. No more trouble with the slides.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw John View Post
Rusty

I installed wood supports in mine. I went from the front to the back with 3/8 inch plywood. No more trouble with the slides.

No trouble with mine either since replacing the rear support brackets.

Rusty
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #11

Thanks for the info!
I was wondering what your thoughts are on a 2010 mobile suites ktbs for 60,000$? out the door i am looking at roughly 70,000.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
My wife and I are considering on purchasing a 5th wheel to live in. I have been doing some research and I have narrowed it down to purchasing a Double Tree Mobile Suits KTBS 36ft.

I have been to several RV dealerships- found a 2010 model listed for 59,995$

At another dealership a 2011 listed for 59,995 (but was told if I bought it right then and there he would sell for 50,000$)

I am not sure why he would sell it for 10k less if I purchased it on the spot. I am also not sure why a one year older model would sell for the same price as the newer model.

As you can see I'm all over the place. I have been trying to do as much research as possible, but I could only do so much from behind the computer.

Reason- I am currently in the Military, married with two well behaved dogs. We have lived in a 500sq ft apartment before so we know what we are kind of getting ourselves into. I am tired of paying rent on something I don't own.

Truck- I do not currently have a truck. Although I have talked with the RV park and was told I do not need a truck to live there. I will be purchasing a truck prior to my next duty location (military move).

So my questions-
From your experience would you recommend on a Mobile Suites ktbs-

What price range should I be asking for? If the sticker says 59,995 how low should I go?

Well any advice is good!

Thanks for your time.

V/r James
James,

I am also active duty and have been FTing since 2005 minus deployments. We are on our third fifth wheel and we finally got it right. We opted to go with a TH this time for diversity of the garage which we converted into a nursery once we had our baby. DRV is a great choice and was on our list but at the time they didn't offer a TH. So we went with an Excel Wild Cargo that we did some heavy customization. We bought new though so we could get exactly what we wanted. FTing a a well kept secret for military and makes PCSing a breeze. In the last three years we have transferred coast to coast four times and each move has been very easy. No more dealing with military movers breaking our stuff plus we make a good chunk of change on each move. Good luck!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
Thanks for the info!
I was wondering what your thoughts are on a 2010 mobile suites ktbs for 60,000$? out the door i am looking at roughly 70,000.
I'm not up to speed on resale values since I haven't been looking to sell mine, but if an RV dealer has it listed for $59,995, I certainly wouldn't plan on paying that. I'd be looking at making an offer of between $45,000 and $50,000, depending on how long you want to dicker.

Rusty
Old 04-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2010 DRV MOBILE SUITES Fifth Wheel Series M-36TKSB3 Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides
Here is a starting point on values. In this market, low retail , no adds for add-ons for a unit in vegy good condition.

Ken