Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2005, 07:06 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
YIKES!!

When I was under the camper, (2000 Sunnybrook 26DB), I noticed the shackle that attaches the spring to the frame has come apart from the frame! The shackle has flipped around and the frame is sitting directly on the spring end. What do I do now?! I guess I'll tow it to my local Sunnybrook dealer tomorrow and see what they think. No other damage to the undercarriage. We are leaving on our 7 week dream trip around the country in 2.5 weeks! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'll post picture if I can figure out how.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2005, 07:06 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
YIKES!!

When I was under the camper, (2000 Sunnybrook 26DB), I noticed the shackle that attaches the spring to the frame has come apart from the frame! The shackle has flipped around and the frame is sitting directly on the spring end. What do I do now?! I guess I'll tow it to my local Sunnybrook dealer tomorrow and see what they think. No other damage to the undercarriage. We are leaving on our 7 week dream trip around the country in 2.5 weeks! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'll post picture if I can figure out how.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:16 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Here are pictures....

This is the broken one.....

And for reference, here's the good one on the other side...
Old 06-05-2005, 08:27 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What do I do now?! I guess I'll tow it to my local Sunnybrook dealer tomorrow and see what they think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From studying your photos, it looks like taking it to a good welder or have one who's mobile come to you would be your best course of action. I'd suggest a close inspection of the other three too. The welder may need to weld on some plates along side the shackle supports to give the joint more strength.

Two or three years ago another member with a brand new Sunnybrook reported having a similar problem. You may want to send member "Sunny" a PM and he might tell you about his experience with getting his fixed.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:22 PM   #5

The very same thing happened on a box frame fiver we used to have. We were enroute to Az. and I discovered the problem when we were 25 miles from Eureka, Ca. We limped into a welding shop there and they just welded it back in place. It make the rest of the round trip to Az and back to Oregon OK, but when we got home I welded short pieces of 1 inch angle iron to both sides of each spring shackle to add to the area of the box frame that connected to the shackle. It held fine for the remaining couple years we used that particular trailer.

Vaughn
vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:36 PM   #6

Looks like your frame tube is MUCH too thin. Weld does not appear to be deficient, just ripped out the bottom flange. Maybe this is how Sunnybrook keeps their units light. Scares me!
Frame should be "capped" at all spring mtg. locs. and hangers rewelded to this strengthened area.
S'brook should pay. Should have alignment after CORRECT repair.
Good Luck, Jim
Old 06-07-2005, 03:46 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Quick update. (I'll post pictures at the conclusion). Sunnybrook IS paying!! They are air freighting me a kit which consists of a saddle that goes around and is welded to the frame with the sping shackle already attached. I am very pleased so far with Sunnybrook's response to this. I understand that, with the 2003 model year, they changed the design of the spring shackle mounting and it's now a lot beefier. I'll keep you updated.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:14 AM   #8
CD

Is Sunnybrook going to replace all of them or do you have wait for them to break?

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 06:56 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
OK. It's fixed! And Sunnybrook is picking up the tab! I'm pleased that, even though the camper is 6 years old, they are standing behind their product. Although, it is admittedly a crappy design.

The welder could not use the kits that Sunnybrook sent. The hangers were too long and they would not be even with the others, (as someone else said). Also, the upper leaf on the kit hits directly at a cross member of the frame. He would have had to cut the cross member or try and notch out the leaf. Neither are acceptable alternatives. He just went ahead and fixed it like he would for any other chassis he fixes for this type of thing. Since the other side was cracked also, we did both sides. The total cost was $300 plus tax. It was all done in my driveway.

Here are some pictures....

Thanks to everyone for the inputs. I've never had to deal with something this critical. (Especially coming 2 weeks before our big trip). Later.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:26 AM   #10

This is why I keep my own welder on hand. They are really not that expensive, and with some practice, you could have done this yourself for about $5.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:15 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by charliez:
This is why I keep my own welder on hand. They are really not that expensive, and with some practice, you could have done this yourself for about $5. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. That's good advise. However, at least in my case, it would have cost me more because Sunnybrook picked up the whole tab!

Later.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:17 PM   #12

Are those pictures of the completed job?? I only see the frame bracket welded in two places, one in the front and on on the back. The weld on the back looks very pitted, could be just an optical illusion, but if it is that weld is not safe. I have made several repairs like this in my career and would have stitched welded all around the bracket and the spring bracket. Good luck to you but I would get it checked by another "certified" welder. Just my opinion. John
2003 Dodge Crew Cab, 4X4, Ca. Cummins, Limited slip, 3.73, 48re, T-Rex nerf bars, Rhino Liner, B&W Turnover Ball, B&W Companion, Prodigy. 2005 Wildcat 29BHBP, 1987 HR Aluma-Lite XL 35', 1500W inverter, 3 solar panels, 3 furnaces, 4 Golf Cart Batteri
robertsonthego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:51 AM   #13

I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago. I have a 2001 Seahawk (Gulfstream) 5ver. I think the 2 blowouts I had previously on that same side weakened the bracket. Gulfstream paid for my repairs too. Did you have any flat tires prior to your shackle failure??

01 Silverado 3500, 8.1, Prodigy Controller, RBW Lil' Rocker
Jim & Marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:11 AM   #14

I too wondered about the quality of the welds, they do not look as nice as some I have seen.