Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2017, 10:08 PM   #1

Help needed installing electrical receptacle

I want to install a 110 volt duplex electrical receptacle in my RV as part of a temporary inverter setup where the receptacle will be dedicated to the inverter. (Later on I will have another inverter professionally installed that will power all the 110 volt receptacles. Until then I want to wire the new receptacle to a temporary inverter.)

The wall in which I want to mount the new receptacle is thin luan. Other outlets are mounted in the same wall and they are of the RV style which I have heard referred to as "speed box" or "self-contained" receptacles, SCD (self-contained device). These receptacles do not require an outlet box and there may be insufficient room within the wall to mount such a box even if the wall could support one which I don't think it could. So, I seem to be stuck with the RV style outlet which appears to be designed for thin walls where there is no method to attach an outlet box.

These RV outlets require no screws into the wall but rather rely on a screw and pawl arrangement that sandwiches the thin luan between them, clamping onto the wallboard. The trouble is these receptacles seem to require the use of an expensive special tool in order to attach the wires, if you can even find one of them. The photos I'm including show the type of receptacle I'm talking about and the special tool.

I'm wondering if anybody has devised another method to attach the wires to one of these receptacles. I've heard it may be possible to accomplish this by driving the wires into the receptacle with a flat bit screwdriver--one post I read written by an electrical engineer says he'sneve known anyone to use the special tool optiong for screwdrivers instead. Before I attempt that myself I'd like to hear if anybody has had any success with that method and if they have any tips.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2069.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	185926   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2068.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	185927  

RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2017, 10:24 PM   #2

I’ve seen this type used in RVs. Haven’t used it myself but doesn’t look like any special tool is needed.

Speed Wiring Receptacles
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Gluckman View Post
I’ve seen this type used in RVs. Haven’t used it myself but doesn’t look like any special tool is needed.

Speed Wiring Receptacles
The user comment at the link you provided makes it sound quick and easy to install the SCD receptacle shown. Maybe the ease is associated with that particular brand of SCD receptacle (or the user comment bogus). I'll write to the company and ask how it is accomplished.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:23 AM   #4

I understand your problem and assume this is for a residential fridge. It's funny because I strive to get rid of those RV style outlets. I would go to one of the big box stores and look at the available boxes for tight area installations. Maybe you can consolidate a couple of those existing outlets into one multi-gang box and add a new one. BTW I have used a small flat blade screwdriver to push wires into the slots with no problems.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:48 AM   #5

Look for "retrofit box" there are many types...the wire needs to be run in the wall and pulled into the box so a regular receptacle can be wired.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonMaster View Post
I understand your problem and assume this is for a residential fridge. It's funny because I strive to get rid of those RV style outlets. I would go to one of the big box stores and look at the available boxes for tight area installations. Maybe you can consolidate a couple of those existing outlets into one multi-gang box and add a new one. BTW I have used a small flat blade screwdriver to push wires into the slots with no problems.
Thanks for your thoughts.

No, this installation is not intended to suport a residential fridge. It's a temporary installation of a 1000 watt PSW inverter to support all our 110 volt power needs when shore power isn't available until our 2800 watt PSW can be professionaly installed.

Like you it seems other people try to get away from the SCD type of receptacle and I've heard different reasons from they feel cheap, don't work as well as standard residential outlets (less safe) are difficult to wire up. I'm not saying any of those things are necessarily true, but that's what I've read. I imagine some of the SCD receptalces are of better quality or easier to work with than others.

I don't think my RV has anything to which a box for receptacles can be attached where I want to place this outlet which is why I'm looking at the SCD option. I do think I should take another, closer look, however.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #7

To crimp the wires into a speed box just use a pair of slip-joint pliers. Put a rag around the box so the pliers don't scratch the front of the outlet and squeeze..worked on mine.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBackroads View Post
Look for "retrofit box" there are many types...the wire needs to be run in the wall and pulled into the box so a regular receptacle can be wired.
Running the wire won't be a problem. I have already confirmed the path and it's an easy run. However, I didn't think there was anything to which a box could be attached (via screws) which is why I've been looking at the SCD type of outlet.

Your suggestion to look for retrofit boxes prompted me to do so and I came across a photo of what appears to be a box that can be attached to the thin luan wallboard in my rig via the same screw-and-pawl system the SCD receptacles use (see photo). It seems to be a double gang box. If I could find a single box... If that's true and if there is sufficient depth inside my wall to use one of these then that may be the ticket because it would seem to allow me to use a standard duplex receptacle which would be easier to wire than an SCD receptacle. More investigation is required.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2071.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	185949   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2072.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	185952  

Old 12-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
To crimp the wires into a speed box just use a pair of slip-joint pliers. Put a rag around the box so the pliers don't scratch the front of the outlet and squeeze..worked on mine.
I'm uncertain we are talking about the same thing. I don't see how that could work, but then again I have never held an unsassembled speedbox receptacle in my hands.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #10

Almost all retrofit boxes have those little "wings" that hold the box in. They work great. Duplex outlets with screws on the sides are the safest IMO, especially where higher current is required. Those RV type semi-crimp type are a disaster waiting to overheat. I bet you come up with a solution.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #11

Russ, I'm referring to the speed boxes that are in my 2005 Beaver MH. Its a lay-in wire setup. The first romex lays into the groove pretty easily, but the second, which lays-in on top of the first can only go in with some help from, in my case, a pair of slip-joint pliers. You are looking at new work in adding a new box, so maybe my vintage speed boxes are different from what is out there now. As others have said, they are junk and are just waiting to overheat. I only have a nightlight plugged into the one I had to rework. I should just replace it with an 'old-work' box. Maybe.......
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussOnTheRoad View Post
Running the wire won't be a problem. I have already confirmed the path and it's an easy run. However, I didn't think there was anything to which a box could be attached (via screws) which is why I've been looking at the SCD type of outlet.

Your suggestion to look for retrofit boxes prompted me to do so and I came across a photo of what appears to be a box that can be attached to the thin luan wallboard in my rig via the same screw-and-pawl system the SCD receptacles use (see photo). It seems to be a double gang box. If I could find a single box... If that's true and if there is sufficient depth inside my wall to use one of these then that may be the ticket because it would seem to allow me to use a standard duplex receptacle which would be easier to wire than an SCD receptacle. More investigation is required.

Thanks.
I've fixed enough hot bayonet connections over the years that I only use screw connections. On AC the (solid) wire is curved (with needle nose) so it wraps clockwise around the screw. On DC (or any stranded wire) I always use ring terminals.

Due to the amount of condensation in a RV and salt air around boats here I use a product call Tef-Gel on all electrical connections. Tef--Gel is NON CONDUCTIVE (as is dielectric grease) so DON'T use it on electronics as there is not enough amperage to bridge the connection.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #13

Buy a shallow box at Home Depot. Cut the hole in the paneling then glue 3/4" thick wood, about 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" in size on the back side on the long ends. Use clamps or temp screws to hold til the wood glue sets. Then you can secure the box. Boxes come as shallow as 3/4" but a 1-1/2" deep box works great. That is how I added an outlet beside a bank of kitchen drawers.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two options. as others have said you can get wall boxes (And they come in both standard depth and "Shallow") with the "Wings" so they mount like the quick box

Option 2 is trim up a hole, basically cut a slab of like 1x whatever (4 should do) and cut a hole in it for the box Sand, and finish it to match your RV and lay it over the hole, mount the box in it. GLUE it to the wall

Tags
electric, electrical, install