Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlance View Post
If you go to rv travel they have a book store. In their store they have a DVD dedicated to towing a fifth wheel. It will show you how to tow and back a 5er and explains handling the rig very well. If you order the DVD from them you usually have it within a week Here is their link .http://rvtravel.com/issue477.shtml I got the DVD to help show my wife how to direct me when backing into tight spots. It showed her what I couldn't explain to her. To me it was worth the money.
Thanks for the tip. I shall be making several purchases, books and DVDs.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #16

Steve & Melissa, you might want to drop in over at the Montana Owners web site Montana and Mountaineer Owners Campsite in Cyber Space great bunch of folks there and helpful with all sorts of advice related to Montanas. We just finished spending 3 months in ours and plan on 5 months starting in Nov.

Best wishes,

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320
Good move to get a diesel and a dually. Many first timers believe the propaganda that a 3/4 ton will do the job...not true. Is your 5th wheel a Mountaineer...Montana does not have an RV that is a 333DB, all Montanas are four digits.
Hi
Thanks for the advice. We have a Montana High Country 333DB. We are just finishing up on our 1st trip...8 days on the beach. It was terrific!
Melissa
Old 04-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesteroid
I hope you realize what a responsibility you have taken on driving that rig, both to yourselves and the other drivers on the road with you.

While driving that rig safely is not rocket science by any means, it does require experience, and from what you wrote, you have never even towed a trailer. Now you are going to a 20K plus combined weight in one move.

If you want a comparison, take the truck by itself to a busy california mall parking lot on a saturday and try backing it into a parking spot. Then imagine having a 36 foot trailer on top of that. I think you will quickly see just how much you have taken on.

I stongly suggest you try and hook up with someone you know or can meet and ride with them in their rig, or get them to go along with you on your "test" drives. Its always nice to have some experience in the truck with you.

Others have mentioned the turning, but dont forget the weight of that unit and how it will effect stopping and handling in general.

Good luck and dont forget saftey while playing with your new toy.
Thank you for your concern and advice. We do realize the gravity of our responsibility. As we were driving towards the Grapevine in CA, we saw a travel trailer obliterated by the side of the freeway. The family looked distraught but alive as the many fire trucks and police cars were there. It was a very sobering moment that I will never forget. Both my husband and I are going to be taking driving classes from our trailer dealership. It will be the wisest $400 that we will spend.
Thank you,
Melissa
Old 04-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #19

Great advice. My husband and I were just talking about how important it is to arrive at the destination before dark as I read your post to him. We have walkie-talkies and our phones as back up for communicating. As we arrived at one campground (military) everyone was very nice, but as we arrived at a CA State beach with a bunch of old surfing dudes, they were joking, watching, and giving us a hard time...kinda waiting for us to fail. Oh well, most everyone is nice.
Thanks,
Melissa
Old 04-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff841
My wife and I developed a great system for her to help me back in a space without a fight. Her job is to tell me if I'm about to hit something with a particular eye on tree limbs, picnic tables and hookup pedestals. Beyond that, she just watches. We used to have her direct me but found it didn't help much. Don't take this as a slight on her abilities. She was great at directing but we found our system to be better.
Thank, that may help since we weren't on the same page last trip. It was tense.
Melissa
Old 04-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
You have a Hensley Hitch for your 5th wheel trailer? Didn't know they made them...
Yes.. It is a Hensley TS- 3