Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #1

While returning home I lost all 12 volt power to fiver. Battery tested good. Connections tight. Is there a breaker for 12 volt line? Any suggestions welcomed.
Russ
olds34@aol.com

1999 Newmar Kountry Star 30RKCL
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #2

While returning home I lost all 12 volt power to fiver. Battery tested good. Connections tight. Is there a breaker for 12 volt line? Any suggestions welcomed.
Russ
olds34@aol.com

1999 Newmar Kountry Star 30RKCL
Old 07-20-2008, 01:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check for a battery disconnect, often located beside the fuse boxes in the bathroom.

I'm sure some electricians will jump in with other ideas.

Mike
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:12 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Did you loose the brakes, running lights, tail and stop lights or are you referring to losing the 12 volts that operates internal equipment inside the trailer? They are separate circuits and diagnosing their loss would be different.

It's unlikely, but anything is possible, that you'd lose both 12 volt systems at the same time.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:40 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
most trailers have master relays/fuse/switch on the DC line. Mine happen to be in a box on the wall in the battery cabinet. There are a couple in there for different circuits.

Since mine is a Kountry Star also, you may have a similar setup. I have 2 battery compartment (I had a 30 RKCL myself and it had 2 battery compartments too). These relays were in the road side compartment. Mine has a piece of black plastic covering them with a few screws holding it on.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:09 AM   #6

inside my trailer, there is a small brown cover it looks like it dont open mine says centurion 3000,

but it does in there there is fuss's for just about everything....
Old 07-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply.
I lost 12 volt power inside the camper. I still had brakes and lights, etc. as I assume they are being fed from the truck's battery.
The camper battery tested good also.
Thanks again,
Russ
Old 07-21-2008, 03:09 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Sprintnut,
Sounds like your converter is not working. If you have a muti tester you can test to see if it is putting out your 12v. If not that will need to be replaced. They run a couple hundred dollars depending on which one you have.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
If your converter is NOT providing any output (should be no less than 12.63 V/DC) there are two things to check before replacing it.

1. Make sure the A/C outlet the converter is plugged into is working. When I had my 30RKCL, the outlet for the converter was the only outlet on that circuit. Long story short, that outlet was not working and by morning my battery was nearly dead.

2. The outputs of the converter (at least mine was) may be fused. Make sure those fuses are good.

But if your battery is truly testing good, fully charged AND if you have your battery disconnect switch closed, you should have power to your coach from the battery. I don't know of one master fuse for interior DC system. Generally the interior is broken up into multiple circuits and each circuit is fused separately at a distibution panel.

It is possible that the battery cutoff switch may be bad. At that point I am not sure if you would have 12V/DC when the AC is plugged in but you certainly would not if unplugged. I suspect that if you are plugged into an AC source, and the converter is good, that you would have 12V/DC even with the battery cutoff switch open.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
On our Jayco 5th wheels, there was an inline fuse on the battery positive cable within 6" of the battery's positive terminal. On our current Mobile Suites, there's a master 12VDC switch in the same external switch compartment as the leveling jack switches. If the master fuse were blown or if the master switch were turned off as might be done in storage, the 12VDC output from the battery would be isolated from the coach interior.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #11

Our converter has a main 12VDC fuse in the same compartment as the rest of the 12V fuses, and, a circuit breaker near the batteries. It's time to break out your 12V power tester/probe and trace power from the batteries to the converter.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:24 PM   #12

7-21-2008
Update on 12 volt power loss.
I went back to camper storage yard today and found 2 black plastic boxes, (covers really) near the battery. Inside each one were 2 breakers. Two 40 Amp in one box and one 30 Amp. & one 20 Amp.in the second box. Before I could do any testing I went inside and the 12 volt power was back on. I assume a breaker may of heated up and then reset after cooling off? The cause is still unknown. I cleaned all breaker connections. Going camping this Sunday and hope everything works. Will do follow up. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:29 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Ahhhhh! The Gremlins are alive. You must have gotten the Maguai (sp?) wet or fed it after midnight.

I am going to have to pull out my 12V wiring diagram and see where I have a main breaker/fuse.