Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
help!!!! no hot water

I have a 05 Keystone fifth wheel and i went to the camper to find no hot water. I asumed the gas was out but one of the tanks was still full. There was no pilot light lit either. My neighbors asked why I was running gas instead of electricity. I thought I had been running electricity since spring since I am parked at a marina full time and have power. My neighbors and I searched for a way to switch it over but cannot find a way. All I found was a reset button for the water heater on the bathroom wall and if you go outside and open the heater compartment itself, there is a small black switch that just says on and off. I have no clue if this means. Water heater, gas, or power on/off. I need help asap.

waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
Flip the black toggle switch to on. This will put it on electric. I turn mine off when we are not using the rig

quaterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
Have the button in the heater compartment to on, then there SHOULD be a switch inside the trailer. Have not seen one with only an outside on/off.

As to the gas--heater should have been working on gas if the regulator is working correctly and you had propane in one tank. Do you understand how the black lever on the regulator works? Do you have a DSI heater or a manual-start only? If DSI, should be able to kick it on from in the trailer.
Hope it now will work on elec with the switch at the heater turned on.

Sounds like you have been using it on propane, and the auto regulator did not switch over to the other tank, or you had the lever positioned wrong.

'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
RE Help

Thank you for replying. there was gas in one of the tanks so maybe the issue is with the regulator. At any rate I would rather run it on electricity all the time due to gas safety concerns and purchasing gas so often. So if I have the black switch inside the wh compartment switched to "on" and the gas turned off then I should run off power?? The only switch i could locate inside is a "reset" button and when i pushed it, it lgihted the pilot light for the gas. I saw nothing related to electricity. Any other suggestions?? Im new at all this, my first summer at the marina:(
waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
So if I have the black switch inside the wh compartment switched to "on" and the gas turned off then I should run off power??
Try turning that switch on and stay by the hwt and listen, you should hear a hiss from the electric element heating up. Our Keystone Cougar had this same type of arrangement. The only switch inside the coach was for igniting the gas to the hwt. If we wanted to use electric we had to go outside and flip the switch in the hwt compartment. You could even use both systems of heat at the same time if you like.
2008 F450 & 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5K Silver Fox Edition 5th wheel
Paul & Sheryl
SlyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
Coastal Campers
My Montana by Keystone is exactly as Slyfox stated. You should have a small black rocker switch outside in the water heater compartment. That switch is the only switch that controls electric operation of your water heater. If you still have no electric heated water, then possibly the element is burned out and that happens very quickly if it was ever operated without water present.
Thor Four Winds 22e
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
The (switch) inside is the circuit breaker in the 110v panel.
2001 dodge 2500 auto, with billet Mojave Green torque converter with 2nd gear lockup mod, raptor 100 fuel transfer pump and gauges. RV75 injectors
94 Alpenlite 27sl with many mods.
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
What brand of heater? Do a google of "suburban water heater troubleshooting" (or atwood) and you should find some good info.

You could possibly have air in the lines. Try lighting the cooktop until it starts and then go see if the WH will start.

Can you hear any noise from the WH if listening at it outside? If making a strange noise, the plate thingy inside the burner tube could have the holes plugged up. If so, you need a long thin stick or screwdriver and scrape the crud off the holes then blow it out as best you can.

Can you hear the ignitor trying to ignite the gas? If not, that could need replacing.

There are other possible reasons and reading up a troubleshooting guide may have your answer.

At least you have electric as a backup. One thing with electric though is that the recovery time is quite slow compared to gas.

Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS & Ford F250 supercab V10 4x4 LB
Langley, B.C.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote