Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Help on 1st 5th Wheel

Right now we are in a pop-up and looking to upgrade to our 1st 5th wheel. Tow vehicle : 02' Chevy 1500 z71 (5.3l), more than likely looking into the 25> size. Only going to be the two of us most of the time. Wifes needs : storage is a must ( she drools when she sees a big wardrobe storage in pics online ) Any ideas on good ones either in the past or new ones? Thanks in advance

David
davsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #2

Lets start off with the real basics. A fifth wheel will have a pin weight of approx 20% of it's actual scaled weight. So that can mean that the weight on the truck directly over the rear axle can be anywhere from 2000 to well over 3000 pounds. So in the real world most 3/4 ton type trucks especially diesels and those heavily optioned will not have much more than 17-1800 pounds of actual payload. Meaning you will likely exceed the trucks GVWR and possibly the GCWR with all but the smaller fivers. If you really want to do this right the first time and not have to buy and buy again, go trailer shopping. Decide what and how much fiver you want then go truck shopping for the correct vehicle. Don't be afraid to get way more truck as you will more than likely upgrade to a larger fiver before the truck is replaced again.
There are lots of fifth wheels on the market. Most of the bad builders are no longer in business. It all really depends on how much money you want to spend. 50K, 75K or 100K? Please come back and give us more information on your wants/needs and you will surely get more suggestions.
BTW welcome to the forum.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
, davsal. You've come to the right place for answers. Our members are very knowledgeable & will give you great advice.

You will be hard pressed to find a 5th wheel to meet your 1/2 ton truck's towing capacities. It's not impossible, but you will be very limited in what's available to you. If you're really set on keeping the 1/2 ton, you would do better with a TT (travel trailer). However, if you're willing to go 3/4 ton, more options will open up for you.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Trail Lite makes a fifth wheel for 1/2 trucks. We had a Trail Lite TT when we first started RVing in 2002. I never had any problems with it, but I am tall and the shower was too small for me.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:53 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There are a limited number of mfgs that still make small 5th wheels that I would attempt to tow with a 1/2T PU. One well built unit is the Nash 21-5R. I also owned an early Trail Lite and was very unhappy with the construction and from what I have seen at recent RV shows, they are still the same.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #6

The Travel Bug, by Americana RV, just might be what you are looking for: Americana RV New
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As noted above, a 1/2 ton truck is severely limited in GVWR and payload capacity. The pin weight is limited. Practically, you may be able to pull as much as a 24' 5er, depending on how much you load in the truck. You can pull more travel trailer than 5th wheel due to the pin weight on a 5er.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #8

Another factor is wind resistance. With a fifth wheel trailer you are pulling a large wall down the highway, so to speak. The salesmen never mention this when selling either tow vehicle or 5er. I, like most, use a diesel 1 ton truck for towing, we all can tell when we have a head-wind or cross-wind just by the sound of the engine. This is multiplied with a smaller, gas engine.
Thus the importance of properly matching your truck to a prospective trailer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #9

davsal:
I tow a fiver with a half ton, but fully loaded I am 300 lbs. under my max!
My truck is a 2000 GMC 1500 w/5.3.
We have traveled every where and into Canada. Yes I slow down to 45 mph on the big hills, but I maintain 58-62 on all other highways. Can I go faster - YES - I have taken it up to 85 mph to see how it handles, it just stays where it is suppose to be.
Check the ads for a Komfort 23'FS, it's mine.
Good Luck & Drive Safe!
Quick Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, you can tow a small 5er with a 1/2 ton truck, but watch the weights. Be especially careful of the so called "1/2 ton towable" trailers. They use the max tow rating on the truck and then the minimal weight of the trailer. This leaves no room to add cargo or passengers to the truck or any cargo to the trailer. So it will work if you travel alone, are not too heavy and travel with a change of underwear, a 5th of scotch and a toothbrush.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #11

we went thru the same thing 4 years ago - my advise determine that a 5th wheel is what you want - we looked a class a and c coaches, rented a couple etc. we found we wanted a car to drive around when we ended up some place so the 5th wheel was a perfect choice - next - write down and i mean write down what you want - in a trailer ---- my wife and are over 6 feet so head height was very important - who wants to bend over to get into bed, change clothes etc, next - the bed ---- we wanted a way both of could get out of bed withput climbing over each other - again this was a must --- next we need a space for our two dog boxes ( i am a hunter and wanted to make sure the dog boxes went inside and we could get in ( so we ended up with rear entry ) after that they are 2 basic designbs - kitchen on left or right - and number of slides --- we ended up with a 07 Holiday Rambler Alumascape Suite - got a good deal - higher end than an entry models but good for us. OH yea dont forget the kitchen seating! try gettign in and out of nooks vs a table with chairs -- again we went with table and chairs =

Last the truck - 3/4 ton min - period dont even try 1/2 ton and if your looking at a new truck the ONLY way to go is diesel -- period - Ford has 3/4 short beds now under 37k --- and that will pull 32- 35 footer no problem -- good luck
ikoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #12

Sundance makes some nice small 5th's with front wardrobe, heres a cool one
SUNDANCE 2900MK EMERGENCY STOCK REDUCTION! MUST SELL!: eBay Motors (item 130441432444 end time Oct-14-10 16:22:22 PDT)
shipwreck1 is offline   Reply With Quote