Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #15
As to the boat issue you can carry them on the roof of the truck I have seen many done that way, we use folboat kayaks and a high pressure inflatable for two man use.

2005 volvo 670 12 speed auto shift
singled, hensley trailer saver smart car "on deck"
Newmar 34 rsks Torrey Pine
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #16
When we decided we wanted to do some traveling, we had a large top of the line Fleetwood tent trailer, not at all suitable for coast to coast or Alaska tripping. After sifting options-MH, pull trailer, 5th wheel- we decided on the 5er. Then, the process of sorting out the brand/size/etc. I spent months on various forums and websites looking at reviews, recalls, problematic brands etc. Several brands on the short list ended up going out of business or bought out by another mfgr. We finally settled on Arctic Fox and began looking for one, but first needed a truck. More research and searching. It took 3 months and much looking to find a suitable truck first, then outfitted it with a 5th wheel hitch (B&W/Companion), brakes, air bags, etc. That was over three years ago and we have since decided to go bigger. We were so impressed with the small Arctic Fox that we just took delivery of a new 31' 29-5T equipped with dual pane windows, genset, central vac, a REAL shower, fireplace etc and is well adapted to full timing. Got an incredible deal on it as a new 2012 model. I found an interesting owner survey that may shed some light on different brands:

RV Rating - Customer Survey of RV Makes and Models
Happy looking!

road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #17
We are enjoying our 4th 5th wheel and have weeded out the good, bad, and the ugly. I just traded off a 2955 Big Horn that looked great on the inside and out but underneath was a piece of junk. When it was built they didn't install the bolts that held the front down on the frame. This trailer spent more time in the shop than in use! We recently purchased a 31' Winslow by Excel or Peterson Industries. Their trailers are designed for full time use and are extreamly well built. I have a 2011 3/4 ton crew cab GMC with a Duramax diesel. It does a great job of handling the trailer and a 20' Ranger boat behind it. All I can say is you get what you pay for! Try to find a used top of the line trailer Excel, Hitchhiker, Mobile Suites, and the like. Get one with double pain glass and a solid four season guarantee. Good luck!
G L Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #18
Here's my 2 cents, since you don't have an rv right now and you said you were jumping in, definitely buy a used whatever. Go to rv dealers and look at everything, choose one that looks liveable to you. You don't really know what you will like until you live in it. We bought a 2000 Avion in 2005, we thought we would use it for vacations and bought it only because it was a good deal. It changed our lives! Every time we took it out we never wanted to come home. We quit our jobs and sold the house, went fulltime March 9, 2006. We found it wasn't the greatest floor plan and have purchased a new one. There's no perfect rv, buy a good quality used one and go travel. You can always buy another one and you won't have the big depreciation hit. Good luck
Jan & Thomas
2012 Drv Mobile Suite
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #19
Your top of the line FWs are Hitchhiker, Newmar (not made any more), Peterson, Teton, Carriage and a few others. What they all have in common is size and weight, and you'll need at least a 1t dually TV. I wouldn't consider a Cougar a full-time rig. You want something with maximum insulation values, a strong frame, dual-pane windows, two ACs and a livable floor plan.

If you have small kayaks, you might be able to strap them to the back. Otherwise a t-bracket mounted on a front hitch receiver with a single roof rack on the TV cab will allow you to carry some big ones. I carry a 14' Hobie easily.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #20
Page 8 of the newly revised Manual for Keystone

Warranty Exclusions - This Limited Warranty Shall Not Apply To:
• Equipment, products, components, appliances, or accessories not manufactured by Keystone whether
or not warranted, including but not limited to, tires, batteries, generators, washer, dryer, electronics and
other installed equipment or accessories;
Trailers used for business, rental, commercial, residential, or disaster relief purposes, or any
purposes other than recreational travel and family camping;
and at the bottom of the same page:
Your recreational vehicle was designed primarily for recreational use and short-term occupancy.
Prolonged Occupancy can lead to premature component wear/failure and create conditions, which
if not managed properly, may be hazardous to your health and/or cause significant damage to your
recreational vehicle. These types of “Damage” are NOT covered under this Limited Warranty.
Please also refer to the Owner’s Manual, Chapter 2, Prolonged Occupancy and Indoor Air Quality
for more information on proper management during Prolonged Occupancy.
Me and my wife are looking now also and there are so many things to consider. But she found 2 models of Dutchmen infinity that she liked but they are not wanting to warranty them for "Residential" use.

Heartland is the longer lasting and the longest warranty we have found 2+5 year warranty on there landmarks, but please read up on all the warranties before you drive off the lot. I even had a salesman tell me that Dutchmen will cover what ever the dealer said they needed. And when I pointed out page 7 in Dutchmen Manual, all he could say was, "you know companies gotta make sure they can't get sued." Needless to say we left.

Do a lot of reading on what owners have to say, and weed thru the cosmetic junk and catch where they had it for 6 months and something broke. What did the manufacture/dealer do to correct it.
You will have something that breaks, my two favorite sayings are:

It's not God made, it's guaranteed to break

To human is to error, as it is to human to correct the error

Good luck on your search, if you want info me and the wife have found over the last 5 weeks feel free to contact us.

Tex and Linda
TexandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #21
as far as Kayak hauling -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1291.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	39882  
TexandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by TexandLinda View Post
as far as Kayak hauling -
I bought a toyhauler to .... haul toys. After owning it for a year, I don't think I would ever buy a non-toyhauler. The garage is not just for hauling toys, it is the best utility space money can buy. It is a side entry when it is raining. We hang our wet clothes and rain jackets and drop off muddy boots. It is a doggie day care. It is a serving room for a buffet for a big group. I haul a full size Weber gas grill in it, along side my Kawasaki Mule, for which I roll out onto the patio for grilling. It is as usefule as ......... a garage, and I wouldn't build a house without one.

The penalty is that they are long and heavy. Basically a 31' 5th wheel with a 12' garage attached, and weighing in at 18K plus or minus a couple thou.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carriage went under about 1-1/2 years ago. Thor has bought the Carriage name only and have announced that they are coming out with the Carriage as their upper line on the Redwood line up. All they have is the name.

Most of the management and workers went to work at Lifestyle Luxury RV and they are building the trailers like the Carriage designed ones.

So now we will have original or vintage Carriages and the new-comer Thor product.

Be careful of which you get.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote