Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #15

I'm not upset in any manner or fashion. It's all good. Life is too short for that.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #16

Actually it is a little harder with the Ram box as mentioned. The inside dimension is around 50" just like my utility bed and just about all pin boxes are too long and the back of the pin box will hit the side while turning. An auto sliding hitch doesn't solve this problem. Neither does the Andersen Ultimate or Reese Goosebox. About the only solution is the Reese Sidewinder or Revolution because it moves the pivot point back about 22". You need to talk in more detail with another Ram box owner that has a fifth wheel.

The only reason I can use a normal extended pin box is because my utility bed is chopped down and the pin box swings over the top of the bed rails rather than hitting them. Those towing with full width pickup beds do not have this issue.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
Actually it is a little harder with the Ram box as mentioned. The inside dimension is around 50" just like my utility bed and just about all pin boxes are too long and the back of the pin box will hit the side while turning. An auto sliding hitch doesn't solve this problem. Neither does the Andersen Ultimate or Reese Goosebox. About the only solution is the Reese Sidewinder or Revolution because it moves the pivot point back about 22". You need to talk in more detail with another Ram box owner that has a fifth wheel.

The only reason I can use a normal extended pin box is because my utility bed is chopped down and the pin box swings over the top of the bed rails rather than hitting them. Those towing with full width pickup beds do not have this issue.

Finally ...some info posted ABOUT the rambox bed and solution for pin box

OP needs to take truck fully loaded 'camp ready' (you, fuel, passengers, stuff in cab etc) and go get truck weighed

Then subtract actual Rear Axle weight from trucks RAWR and that is how much additional weight you can add for hitch and trailer pin weight \
(Use 22% of 5th wheels GVWR for 'wet pin weight' guesstimate)

Rear axle weight vs RAWR is what will determine what weight Toy Hauler you can begin looking at

(and also factor in the trucks rear tire max load ratings)

RAWR and Rear Tire Load Ratings ARE the determining factors that REALLY count.

GVWR and Payload (which is a by-product of GVWR) are MFG warranty and vehicle registration issues.

Stay at/under RAWR---Tire Load Ratings and go camping
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:48 PM   #18

It’s not a mistake. Lots of us got smaller RV’s to avoid duel wheels and long beds. Just find the right floor plan for you. If the truck has aftermarket wheels make sue you check the weight and air pressure ratings on the rims.
Good luck
Old 06-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpower View Post
i pull a 45' cyclone 4200 with my 2011 2500 short bed with no problems
Except for the fact that you are GROSSLY overloaded!
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #20

Lots of us got smaller RV’s to avoid duel wheels and long beds

I've got the duals and 4x4 and everything super duper. It's way closer to being paid for so I've decided not to downsize. I don't have a big 5'er any more but I did just get back into a new teeny tiny TT. A little Starcraft. It looks like the truck is going to hurt it. But, it's what I wanted. Simple, easy , light, costs way less, way less people can invite themselves.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpower View Post
i pull a 45' cyclone 4200 with my 2011 2500 short bed with no problems
I bet it pulls just fine...

To the OP, you don't want to do this... towing way way overloaded. I am betting you can find a good fit for your truck.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunternomad View Post
I am totally new to the RV world and lifestyle. I have decided to become a full timer.

You will all probably get a good laugh out of this because of all the newbie mistakes, but here's my quandry...

Early in my decision to move to a RV lifestyle I ran across a nearly brand spanking new Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel truck. It was mint, nearly everyting I thought I wanted and needed to be my tow vehicle and a steal. I bought it.

It is not a dually (I want a truck that is not a dually due to my hunting activities and places I sometimes need to get into), AND it has built in side tool boxes. I also thought it was a full sized bed (looked that way, but apparently in the RV world it is considered a short bed 6'4").

Now as I am trying to find a small (under 37') 5th wheel toy hauler I am finding out that this vehicle is not a good choices. I has a towing weight of 17,200 and a payload of 2450. That with the short bed apparently makes it a no-go for 5th wheelers.

Why is it so hard??

Before I bought it I had read several forums and it seemed that non-dually's could pull smaller 5th wheelers - but now I am getting the "I wouldn't do that" from the service managers at the places I have found some that interest me...

At this point I am guess that I am going to have to kill the 5th wheeler idea and go to a tow behind because I don't want to eat $10K trading in my 2500 just to get a dually for a 5th wheeler. The tow behinds don't have near the amenities I want or need though.

Yes I guess I just made my biggest and maybe first noobie mistake but why does this whole RV buying/finding thing have to be so damn hard?? Any other options or suggestions you more experienced folks have?

Here is my 2 cts., when I read your post I assume you'll be going 'solo', which means you won't need 42' of trouble.
The 2500 CTD is a very capable truck, but forget the toyhauler idea (I know some will hate me for this ).

As has been said, look at the door sticker on your truck, or better drive over the scale and get actual numbers for front and rear, then calculate not guesstimate the amount of pinweight the truck can handle and don't forget to account for the weight of the 5th wheel hitch.
Rule of thumb for pinweight is roughly 20% of the trailer's GVWR (not the advertised unloaded weight with no options installed in the trailer), that means you want to look for a trailer with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs - 12,000 lbs - much higher and you will run into problems with the truck being overweight.

Another thing to look out for is slideouts, we all want them and the more the better, but every slideout adds anywhere from 500 - 1000 lbs to the weight of the trailer.

Also, if you are planning to go fulltime and take the trailer on hunting trips you want something with better insulation than most.
I have nothing to say about the potential Rambox problem.

Don't listen to those that claim you can legally tow a 42' toyhauler behind a 3/4 ton, at least I can't see them being legal.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #23

Ok, to the op. Everything about looking at weights is useless until you can solve the problem of the rambox. If you can find someone that tows a 5ver with the ramboxes, you can find out how they got around the clearance issue. Until then, don't even worry about 5ver weights because I was looking at a ram like yours and couldn't figure out the clearance problems. I now own a 2014 3500 cc short bed srw. I have no problems with that truck with a standard width bed. But if you are dead set on that truck and a 5ver, research a solution to the clearance problem. If you find one, please let us know.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #24

I just wanted to add that once a solution is found, you have plenty of options for 5vers. I know 2 people that tow with 2500 and have 36' cougars. So it can be done.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
Ok, to the op. Everything about looking at weights is useless until you can solve the problem of the rambox. If you can find someone that tows a 5ver with the ramboxes, you can find out how they got around the clearance issue. Until then, don't even worry about 5ver weights because I was looking at a ram like yours and couldn't figure out the clearance problems. I now own a 2014 3500 cc short bed srw. I have no problems with that truck with a standard width bed. But if you are dead set on that truck and a 5ver, research a solution to the clearance problem. If you find one, please let us know.

Rambox......solution in post #16

Pivoting pin box like Reese Sidewinder or Revolution

(same pin box.....one is OEM and one is aftermarket)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #26

Payload will be the issue. Probably can't find a toy hauler, fifth wheel that works with the pin weight your truck can handle.

Good luck. I wouldn't run out an upgraded TT instead of the fifth wheel. There are many with the bells and whistles too including auto-level.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote