Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #1

Help with awning?

High All,

Well we went out with the Cat for our maiden voyage this weekend and wouldn't you know it a flash storm came through the campsite and wrecked the awning :-(. We were on the clock and had to leave so dummy me didn't think to take pictures BUT I'm going to try to get the Insurance Co. to cover it. Anyway, I need to get an idea of size & price for replacement of a Dometic 8500 on a 2005 31QBH? I'm unsure how these are measured and unfortunately, the awning didn't make the trip back. I'm awaiting a call from Camping World to see if they would give me a quote over the phone but in short I'm open to suggestions and/or advice.

FWIW, I did think to snap a picture of the model #, etc. Only thing is that I'm not being able to find this online, anyone have an idea what size and/or model number is today's equivalent?

Thanks
MightyMax

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
It depends on what parts you need. Replacements can be just the fabric, the hardware or everything. If you still can measure the width and length. Then try Camping Worlds site and choose material, colors and hardware. This will give you a ballpark amount then shop around. $1200 is not unusual for a manual awning like the 8500 (from what I could gather) Automatics can get to be much more.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #3

HD4Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately we had to hit the road and I was under pressure to get the awning off as I had 200 miles to travel. In short I no longer have the roller or the fabric as it was torn and bent. I saved the arms but those too were damaged and at this point think it's a total replacement.

Now as for price I'm confused as camping world has an internet price listed at $592. however, when I go through the selections it comes back with another figure of roughly $939.00?

Ugh I have no idea what this thing should be :-(
Old 06-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #4

I don't see where you on your signature
Old 06-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #5

Where I what???

My 5er? It's an 05 WildCat 31QBH...
Old 06-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #6

Sorry phone your location in DFW my 19 foot was cheaper than camping world by a lot plus camping world wanted too much for shipping
Old 06-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #7

Oh... Where I live? That's in Raleigh but I'm not clear on what you mean by "phone my location"? I just bought our RV through a private sale, it's an 05 model. So I don't have a dealer which is why I'm currently getting a quote from campingWorld. So far they have told me it's a 20' not 19'??? That aside I'm still trying to determine if it's worth using my insurance or doing the install myself. Hey just out of curiosity is their a salvage lot/site where I might find these parts at?

Thanks
MM
Old 06-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #8

Help with awning?.?.?.

Sorry I was on my phone my bad search for a Route 66 dealer see if any are around you you can do it your self with 2 friends to walk it out of the channel
Old 06-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #9

Think you mean walk it in, as I had to rip it off to get back home :-(.

Anyway CampingWorld gave me an estimate of $1500.00. Now I have to wait for my Insurance Co. and see if I can have it repaired at any place of my choice or if I have to take it to a specific location. Two questions here:

A) when I was removing the awning it seemed like a fairly simple process but I've heard a few horror stories about Camping World so would you trust them with an awning re-install?

B) Camping World said due to the size of the awning the manufacturer doesn't stock them and it would take 2 weeks to get from time of order. Does that sound correct? I mean I expect the install to take about 1-1.5 hours but I wasn't expecting a wait if two weeks just to get the part...

Thanks
MM
Old 06-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #10
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mighty Max. We used Camping World here in Houston to replace our awning fabric that was damaged and they did an excellent job. Just my opinion. Mine was just the fabric and the 18 foot installed was 374.00.
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:16 AM   #11

united rv is the Route 66 dealer in ft worth i use the warehouse is local for A&E try 817-834-7141
Old 06-17-2014, 05:35 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
They should be able to ballpark the size by where the arms where attached. Camping Worlds are all different depending on who runs it. This site is helpful RV Service Reviews I only linked CWs site for an idea of what your awning might cost. Hopefully your insurance will cover it. It is why be buy it.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #13

Your awning may not be covered. It depends on your insurance coverage. Some companies it is an add on.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilcastle View Post
Your awning may not be covered. It depends on your insurance coverage. Some companies it is an add on.
Found this to be true with our A&E WeatherPro power awning. $700 worth of just repair not covered. Not from a storm, just wear.

Tags
awning