Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #29

Someone suggested a 35' TT in lieu of the 5th wheel, as one who was blessed to live thru a multiple roll over with a 27' TT with all the weight distribution hitches, sway bars etc. I would be very careful of towing a trailer that is that long. In my scenario, a semi passed me very close on a divided 4 lane highway and the inevitable fish tale occurred, but in this case the passenger side tires dropped offed off of a sharp low shoulder and blew both tire out. The trailer ended up driving the truck, in what seemed like eternity and at same time micro seconds I ended up in median headed opposite direction with nothing left of trailer but a twisted frame and the truck which was still attached to trailer was on the passengers side. i did not know the tires had blown, the State Trooper investigation determined that. The wrecker call was for 2 roll backs a backhoe/front end loader and 2 dump trucks. I had pulled this same rig from Ala. to Maine and Oregon and many points between and was far from a rookie and called myself being very cautious.

We have continued to RV but in a Class A motorhome but now are about to embark on full time RVing and faced with your same delimna on tow vehicle vs size of 5th wheel. After my accident I said I would never have another bumper pull unit which is MY PERSONAL choice, but have seen many a 5th wheel in similar situations as my accident and they never seem to wobble or fish tail. A 5th wheel seems to make more sense to us as a full time RVer. I have a one ton dually but running into overload issues going by many of these stats and charts and calculators. We had hoped to get up around a 38' 5th wheel, but trying to be safe and allow for 20% factors and such we would need to move up to a 450 type truck. Either most people are overloaded or I am missing something in the process.

The post about what the DMV uses as weight limits on the rear axle seems to be the most practical answer I have read yet

still looking for answers

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Use the GVWR of the trailers, not "ship weight."
Why? Some units have really low GVW and some really high GVW. Mine for instance has a GVW of 4315lbs. How on earth am I going to load 4315lbs into a 28' 5th wheel? A common sense rule is to figure about 1000-1500lbs of gear unless full timing. All the OP needs to do is look at the dry shipping weight of the trailer and add 1500lbs. He'll be fine doing that.
The only other reason to look at the GVW of the trailer is to determine if you will have enough in reserve when loaded up and not be maxed out. Generally the higher the GVW the better it's frame is built.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cumminsfan, the GVW is the gross vehicle weight of the RV...4315#. If it is GVWR that is the GVW RATING which is the maximum weight of the loaded RV. The cargo or load carrying capacity is the GVWR minus the actual weight of the trailer.

Ken
Old 02-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Cumminsfan, the GVW is the gross vehicle weight of the RV...4315#. If it is GVWR that is the GVW RATING which is the maximum weight of the loaded RV. The cargo or load carrying capacity is the GVWR minus the actual weight of the trailer.

Ken
My bad. I meant that my 5'ers CCC is 4315, with a GVW of 11,500.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #33

[QUOTE=Randy Q;1931427]Someone suggested a 35' TT in lieu of the 5th wheel, as one who was blessed to live thru a multiple roll over with a 27' TT with all the weight distribution hitches, sway bars etc. I would be very careful of towing a trailer that is that long. In my scenario, a semi passed me very close on a divided 4 lane highway and the inevitable fish tale occurred, but in this case the passenger side tires dropped offed off of a sharp low shoulder and blew both tire out. The trailer ended up driving the truck, in what seemed like eternity and at same time micro seconds I ended up in median headed opposite direction with nothing left of trailer but a twisted frame and the truck which was still attached to trailer was on the passengers side. i did not know the tires had blown, the State Trooper investigation determined that. The wrecker call was for 2 roll backs a backhoe/front end loader and 2 dump trucks. I had pulled this same rig from Ala. to Maine and Oregon and many points between and was far from a rookie and called myself being very cautious. (quote)

I suggested it so that he could get all the trailer room he was looking for and not be over weight with a fifth wheel or have a tiny little fifth wheel.
I'm sorry for your unfortunate event I hope no one ever has anything like that happen. I probably would never pull a TT again after something like that either. BUT I must say that's like someone one is completely anti-motorcycle etc... because they had an accident on one or a family member was killed on one. I can't blame you or anyone for not wanting one after something like that its expected but also doesn't mean the millions of other people are going to have the same experience.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #34

2500HD
I did not mean to imply all bumper pulls were bad, just that regardless of the tow ability, somewhere commonsense has to apply and pulling a TT in the 33-36 range with the wind affects is dangerous and I think some others made similar comments. None of us have control over nature (wind) or stupid drivers. I also understand your trying to get the OP in as long as possible with TT as option on weight. I just felt that the dangers of the extreme length mentioned exceeded what most folks would be comfortable with and what IMHO exceeded safety limits.
I think I stated that we had extensive travels with this truck trailer combo and I felt very comfortable with 27' TT, I had been on 8 lane interstates with huge trucks all around us and had minor wind affects from their passing but never felt in danger. I may not have worded things perfect and did not mean to offend you or anyone else, just trying to pass along some concerns that will not be told to a buyer by the RV dealer or Truck dealer. I live in Ala. and our first trip across the midwest was an eye opener on side winds, head winds and tail winds.
May God Bless us all
Old 02-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Q View Post
2500HD
I did not mean to imply all bumper pulls were bad, just that regardless of the tow ability, somewhere commonsense has to apply and pulling a TT in the 33-36 range with the wind affects is dangerous and I think some others made similar comments. None of us have control over nature (wind) or stupid drivers. I also understand your trying to get the OP in as long as possible with TT as option on weight. I just felt that the dangers of the extreme length mentioned exceeded what most folks would be comfortable with and what IMHO exceeded safety limits.
I think I stated that we had extensive travels with this truck trailer combo and I felt very comfortable with 27' TT, I had been on 8 lane interstates with huge trucks all around us and had minor wind affects from their passing but never felt in danger. I may not have worded things perfect and did not mean to offend you or anyone else, just trying to pass along some concerns that will not be told to a buyer by the RV dealer or Truck dealer. I live in Ala. and our first trip across the midwest was an eye opener on side winds, head winds and tail winds.
May God Bless us all
No offense taken. I guess I did over look the fact that you were traveling out west which is a different ball game than the east coast. We tend to go to the beach when we go camping no real hills. The only really bad weather I have experienced pulling a trailer is over the CBBT. If your going out west and into the mountains and such than yes pulling a big TT will be a bit tough and potentially dangerous. Doing what we do I have no problem pullin' a big honkin' TT and will continue to do so until the Lord blesses us with the means and time to get a 40' fifth wheel toyhauler or Class A

2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote