Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #1

Thumbs up Hi! New TT User - Jayco 5th. Static Dry Camping All Summer

Greetings! My wife and I have individuals renting our house weekly throughout the summer and decided to move to my families farm down by the river in our new (used) travel trailer. I originally bought a 2002 29' Artic Fox (hitch hook-up) which had a slightly funky odor, so I was planning to change the floors. In ripping out carpets I found some issues with sub-floor and don't really know how to deal with the slides and the hard flooring. This all being said, I wanted to move yesterday so ended up buying a 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 29' (5th wheel) with a 1992 F-250 truck a couple days ago. This has no funky odor and has hardly been used. The tabs expired three years ago and the battery had zero water in it. Working on little things like that right now and then going to clean the carpets really well and start moving in. There are no utility hook-up's (electric, water or sewer), where I will be. I am eager to learn how other's go about long-term dry camping. I am pretty excited to play with the different systems. As of now, I was planning to fill up food safe 55 gallon drums with water up at the farm house and bring those down and just pump it into the trailer. For sewer, I might just buy or rent a port-o-potty and dump my sewer into that and have a company come drain that out whenever it gets full. For electric, I was going to start looking into solar panel systems. Does anyone have any thoughts on those or suggested readings about what other people have done? I am located in WA State which gets nice sun in the summer, but isn't known for sunshine!

Here's the new truck and trailer. Looking forward to learning more on this forum.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #2

Nice Jayco, and a good looking campsite.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:15 PM   #3

One thought about the black water disposal--might get a FloPro macerator to use to send all black tank 'stuff' to a larger holding tank. Then when it gets near capacity, have the 'honey wagon' come out an empty it. Keep in mind there needs to be some thought given to locating a secondary tank to reduce odors near the trailer.
I assume all the grey water can be sent 'down the hill' so that won't be a problem.
Solar--will help a lot, but pricey.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
One thought about the black water disposal--might get a FloPro macerator to use to send all black tank 'stuff' to a larger holding tank. Then when it gets near capacity, have the 'honey wagon' come out an empty it. Keep in mind there needs to be some thought given to locating a secondary tank to reduce odors near the trailer.
I assume all the grey water can be sent 'down the hill' so that won't be a problem.
Solar--will help a lot, but pricey.
Joe
Thank You, Joe - the macerator is a great idea. Something like THIS is what your referring too, correct? What do people use for larger holding tank? Really like the idea. I have easy disposal of grey water indeed!
Old 04-14-2016, 09:15 PM   #5

That is exactly what I have--used it when we moved into our used house and did 3 months of remodeling. It pumped black tank fluid over 100' thru a garden hose.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #6

As for a holding tank--any type of poly tank--most in use are black--can be used as long as it has a drain line to connect a septic truck to. And be sure to allow air in if you are using a vacuum truck to empty it.
Again, if you set something up, give thought to prevailing breezes--it will give off some unpleasant odors...

Tags
camping, jayco