Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
Looks like they are using 6000 lbs axles only
My unit has 7000lbs axle and to me its the one reason I do own a heartland product

I went to an RV show in Tampa and looked at every high end units that was possibly better build then ours and I was the only one opening basement doors, and looking under for desent framing.
They all walked in the units and said Ohhhhh, well that is not inspecting product manufacturing quality. A good product has to have good base to sit on, and cover to protect it also.
The Lifestyle uses 7000 LB. axles standard, with 8000 LB. axles and disk brakes optional. While you were looking in the basement did you notice the double stacked 2"x6" boxed frame on the Lifestyle verses the 12" I beam with 10" I beam drop chasis on yours? How about where they didn't cut into the frame to install the slideouts on the Lifestyle where they did on yours?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #30

I had 2 off 2 x 6 tubes(Hollow Structural) on the previuos trailer framing and I was not able to open the slide unless the trailer was on stabilizers. The 12 in I beam frame will not twist if the tires jacked while on the front landing gears. I did it and to my surprise the whole side lifted front to back. And I can move my unit with all the slides opened.

The tubing (Hollow Structural) was also so weak that the framing holding the pin box cracked all over and needed to be repaired while stuck 1000 miles north of a repair shop.

You cannot cut in the tubes because most of the metal on the center is not doing any vertical structural strenght other then side stresses and cannot be cut due to weakning the horizontal Moment of Inertia. The box beam if cut on the sides will greatly weaken vertical Modulas of Inertia of the the beam.

But cutting in the web of a I beam is a standard engineering procedure using I beams and hardly affect to Moment of Inertia of the beam, thus very practical for running the slide supports without affecting the strenght of the frame.

So using 2 tubes is cheap and limited in working options, as any deviation front the norm weakens the unit.

One Tube is much more practical but not used due to required thickness of the vertical walls making it to heavy for long mobile homes application, and usualy no additional modifications applied.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #31

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I think the new Lifestyle Luxury RV are going to be the one to watch if you are looking for quality and not just glistz. They are based on the former Carriage products and have been improved upon the former line as well as "fixed" any short comings Carriage may have had. Everyone that I have talked to at the recent shows that has looked at the Lifestyle line has had nothing but very, very good things about the line. I know they are still using the box frame that my Cameo has. It is a strong enough frame to be able to use just four Big Foot leveling jacks instad of 6 like many of the other brands are using. That tells me that the "others" don't have frames strong enough to use just four jacks. I love our Carriage Cameo, its been trouble free, and when its time to trade it will most likely be a Lifestyle. Give them a look. Otherwise, it would be an Excel limited for me as I like the fiberglass roof. Phillip
Old 09-20-2012, 04:42 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
I had 2 off 2 x 6 tubes(Hollow Structural) on the previuos trailer framing and I was not able to open the slide unless the trailer was on stabilizers.
Interesting.....With the 15" stacked rectangular box frame on ours, I routinely run out the slideouts with no jacks down while still hitched to the truck if we're just overnighting. I've never had a hint of slideout binding doing this. Not the case with some other "high end" 5th wheels I could name....

We've had no hint of a structural problem in over 8 years of ownership and use.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A pair or 2 x 6 box sections stacked and welded together is a lot stiffer than a single thin wall C or I section. Pretty basic info to look in the steel book and see what the moment of inertia is for each section.

If you had issues with a box section frame, you had other isses that were not due to the frame section.

As a mechanical engineer, I would take the stacked box over the C or I section any day.

Ken
Old 09-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #34

Then all steel buildings are all build wrong.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Different structures are built using different sections. It all depends on how the load is applied. Also building are not built with C and I sections with a wall thickness if about 1/8".

A 2 x 6 box section cost more than a C channel of the same size due to manufacturing cost.

Caissiel, it is obvious that you are not an engineer.

Ken
Old 09-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #36

Continental rv 5th wheels

I am looking at Forksrv.com at their Continental 5th wheels. They are priced pretty high, but look like excellent quality and fit. Does anyone on this forum have or know about these units?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #37

We just purchased a 2012 Champayne 36 LK RSB . About a month ago.
So far so good. I would put NU WA products in the " HIGH END" class.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #38

If your looking at New Horizons, look at spacecraft also. They build complete custom, and when you get right down to it are not anymore expensive then NH.

Space Craft Custom Built Recreational Vehicles, Fifth Wheel Trailers, Travel Trailers, Semi Trailers, Bunkhouses, Box Conversions, Restroom Trailers, Custom Built RV, custom built rv trailers, Toy house, toy hauler, toter home, toterhome, motor coach
Old 09-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #39

Howdy!

If I was looking to replace our 5er my top three picks would be New Horizon, Space Craft and Excel. They all make well built fulltime units.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon